Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Idea for new snapmap game mode!

I know the game isn't even out yet but I just had an idea for a possible game mode that sounds so good to me that I want to call dips on it before anybody steals it lol.

So basically the basic premise of the mode is that every time you kill and/or hit a demon you get health, and every time you fire a weapon you lose health. This means that every single shot fired can make the difference between life and death. Different kinds of weapons would drains different amount of health and different types of demons grant different amounts of health.

I think this would add all kinds of interesting decisions the player would have to make. For example, he could fire the BFG at a massive cost to his life points and thus possibly get all of it back and more if he kills enough demons doing so, but if he misses or the blast doesn't cause as much damage as he had hoped then he has seriously screwed himself over. And if his health is low enough he might not even be able to use his BFG at all. Literally ever single decision would require some forethought.

In order to win, the player must progress through waves of enemies via fairly traditional horde mode gameplay, with more guns being granted automatically with each new wave. Once all waves are defeated the player wins.

The idea behind the game mode is to reward high-risk high-reward gameplay style.

What do you think about my game mode idea? And what would you name it?

hardcore_gamer said:

I want to call dips on it before anybody steals it lol.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

It's an alright idea though. I'd probably name it after a Slayer song or something else suitably edgy.

this is the one thing I'm most looking forward to in Doom. all the cool shit people plan to make.

BluePineapple72 said:

Chemical Warfare

It was a joke but actually I'd go with Aggressive Perfector

I would prefer such a mode to be called "Life", causing that really is what you are fighting for at an extreme level.

I had an idea called, Archvilles vs. Marines.. but I guess you could sub in something else for the Archvilles if they aren't available.

Basically asymetric domination, 3 vs. 3. Archviles have no respawns, have 250 points regenerating health, and can revive any dead body including marines as minions on their side, they also have the ability to summon demons which is gained through capturing a hardpoint, the fire attack will lock on but be sped up and they will have a powerful melee. Marines have 8 lives each, no regen, a loadout for weapons (but weapons will be available on the map as well as health and ammo), and will unlock upgrades and perks through capturing hardpoints. There will be dead bodies lying around at the start of zombies and soldiers to get the game started.

RobbingSnake said:

Would it be available in multiplayer, and if so would the players share a health pool, or have separate ones?

Since we don't know exactly how smapmap works yet and this is merely an idea it's not possible to say as of right now. But I can imagine how interesting variants could be created for multiplayer. Like one variant where everyone shares a pool like you suggested, or another one where players are actually competing and the last one standing wins. Or even a deathmatch variant. Endless possibilities!

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it can already imagine one interesting multiplayer version. A variant of last man standing, where each player spawns with only 1 life and huge amounts of health. The last player left wins.

hardcore_gamer said:

I know the game isn't even out yet but I just had an idea for a possible game mode that sounds so good to me that I want to call dips on it before anybody steals it lol.

So basically the basic premise of the mode is that every time you kill and/or hit a demon you get health, and every time you fire a weapon you lose health. This means that every single shot fired can make the difference between life and death. Different kinds of weapons would drains different amount of health and different types of demons grant different amounts of health.

I think this would add all kinds of interesting decisions the player would have to make. For example, he could fire the BFG at a massive cost to his life points and thus possibly get all of it back and more if he kills enough demons doing so, but if he misses or the blast doesn't cause as much damage as he had hoped then he has seriously screwed himself over. And if his health is low enough he might not even be able to use his BFG at all. Literally ever single decision would require some forethought.

In order to win, the player must progress through waves of enemies via fairly traditional horde mode gameplay, with more guns being granted automatically with each new wave. Once all waves are defeated the player wins.

The idea behind the game mode is to reward high-risk high-reward gameplay style.

What do you think about my game mode idea? And what would you name it?

OP what would make this mode dope is infinite ammo, essentially health is your ammo.

Survivor Game Mode, like the one in Aliens vs. Predator 2 and 3. Basically team last man standing with all players who stay alive slowly gaining points, while the ones who die turn into a demon and work together to overrun the remaining marines.

Here's a pretty basic idea, competitive multiplayer, one team has demon runes the other has quad damage. (unless of course you can only have one quad damage or demon at once)

A fun game mode I just thought of would be competitive, where everybody has super high speed, and you can only die via glory kill, but weapons can either slow down or knock back your opponents.

A new idea: You have to find out which players are the 12 year old CoD/Halo players that always scream at everybody and kill them for points.

Monsters already reward you with health on death, so that addition to this hypothetical gamemode is mostly meaningless. The only other part is the whole "shooting hurts you" thing, which sounds mildly interesting at first but would probably turn out pretty awful since it would put the player at a serious disadvantage to use essentially any weapon in practically every single conceivable scenario. The game's weapon/ammo/monster balance is already very finely tuned. If you make every useful weapon kill you before you can use it effectively, what's even the point?

Something similar to your idea, like a vampire gamemode where you are bleeding health constantly and have to kill to survive is okay, but that's been done many times before and is again only mildly interesting.

Well, if you actually create this gamemode, please do name it "First Dips" -- I'd remember that one by the time this game comes out :)

hardcore_gamer said:

A new idea: You have to find out which players are the 12 year old CoD/Halo players that always scream at everybody and kill them for points.

Lol

Squeaker squasher!

I want some dip, also I'm sure this mod exists for old Doom in some fashion already. I'm gonna hunt around for it, it's pretty fun.

I want to make a team fortress kind of game, with the available playable demons. IF the "coding" in the game is as deep as they say it is, there should be a way to let you be able to play as a demon for the entirety of the match, that way we could have some form of classes: Mancubus (the tank class)
Reventant (sniper class)
Baron (the heavy dude)
Prowler (the agile class)
Normal mp soldier (as... the soldier XD)

Maybe if there was another type of healing demon of sorts, we could have the whole gang.

sheridan said:

Monsters already reward you with health on death, so that addition to this hypothetical gamemode is mostly meaningless.

Perhaps snapmap will allow you to make it so they don't drop items? In fact I hope so because then I will be able to completely control the ammo balance in my maps.

I would love to see Hell vs Marines in Snapmap, Hell team would be composed by Demons, Hell Knights, Imps, Mancubuses and Revenants, while Marines have the different loadouts you have in MP and they wouldn't be Demon Runes or Quad Damage, a TLMS game mode.

watstha said:

I want to make a team fortress kind of game, with the available playable demons. IF the "coding" in the game is as deep as they say it is, there should be a way to let you be able to play as a demon for the entirety of the match, that way we could have some form of classes: Mancubus (the tank class)
Reventant (sniper class)
Baron (the heavy dude)
Prowler (the agile class)
Normal mp soldier (as... the soldier XD)

Maybe if there was another type of healing demon of sorts, we could have the whole gang.

I would love to see, and also rub it at my TF2fanboy friend's (who thinks Doom sucks) and prove to him... it ain't.

How do you know Prowler is a "fast" demon?

To prove Doom doesn't suck by doing something completely different to what Doom is about?

The Prowler moves pretty fast in the MP trailer.