Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Breeder

How To: Darkest Hour in Lastest ZDOOM?

How do I go about configuring the latest ZDOOM release so that it can play Rex's Darkest Hour plus expansion pack?

EDIT: Sorry, I put this in the wrong place.

But where do I set the settings so that this plays correctly, a lot has changed since zdoom 1.23...

If this is a mod for v1.23 then you're probably gonna need to convert the mod to work for the newest ZDoom, manually using Wad editors :o .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

If this is a mod for v1.23 then you're probably gonna need to convert the mod to work for the newest ZDoom, manually using Wad editors :o .

Uhm... No. No you have absolutely never needed to "convert mods" ever. That's beyond absurd. If there really is an issue running this mod in 2.8.1 out of the box, it'll need to be reported as it's likely the result of fixing a bug nobody noticed was actually used.

That post coming from someone who has made such borderline idiotic suggestions before, I think it can safely be ignored.

One thing should be noted, though: There seems to be two versions of this mod floating aroud, one of which has some problems with flat markers, if I am not mistaken.

The maps themselves should be ok, though.

Graf Zahl said:

That post coming from someone who has made such borderline idiotic suggestions before, I think it can safely be ignored.

Well, his custom title speaks for itself...

All right, well what I am getting at is there are some custom features that need to be turned on in order for the maps to work correctly. Player walking over THINGs being one of them.

Now that ZDOOM has so many freaking options, I'm not sure where to find everything and know what should be on or off.

Should I just write to Rex directly?

As for the pwad I am using, I got it straight from Rex's page.

You have no reason to be touching the compatibility settings unless you know you need to be in the first place.

Maps made for ZDoom have something called MAPINFO that allows the author to specify any sort of option or compatibility feature necessary. So it's important for players using ZDoom to play ZDoom map to make sure they aren't setting any useless compatibility option by themselves.

In fact, ever since automatic compatibility feature was put in, user changes in compat options are generally unnecessary and often counter-productive; e.g. a few times there were bug reports that were actually caused by people forgetting they had set a compatibility feature. (compat_useblocking, especially, has been a repeat offender.)

The Darkest Hour is an old ZDoom map, so if you HAVE to use compatibility settings, the only one making even remote sense is the 2.0.63 profile.

And that only sets one option, which is the sector based soundtarget.

Everything else should be off.

You guys are right and I jumped the gun. I screwed my self by altering the settings. All seems well now. Been playing through level one for a while now on my Pi 2 and loving every minute of it!

Thanks!

Deadrawkstar said:

Don't mean to resurrect this, but couldn't he have played on an older version of Zdoom too?

It's silly if we have to use multiple versions of source ports.

That's where I draw the line, sir!

VGA said:

It's silly if we have to use multiple versions of source ports.

Well, before the first few answers I was going to suggest exactly that. It's actually what I do when a mod refuses to work with newer versions of a port and I don't feel like making a thread about it.

Deadrawkstar said:

Don't mean to resurrect this, but couldn't he have played on an older version of Zdoom too?

Well, from the sound of it, he's trying to play it on a Raspberry Pi, which wouldn't have access to an old enough version of ZDoom, since the ZDoom codebase has only recently been able to be compiled for the Pi's ARM processor. (Plus the fact that the Pi didn't even exist at the time Darkest Hour was created. =P)