Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HellVain

What kind of hellscape do you prefer?

I like how they did with the medieval feel in the new DooM with all the bone-based archetecture so I'm not going to complain. I was just wondering what you guys prefer.

maybe something like a dark psychedelic hellscape like on doom 3.
a gothic mystical one like on DooM 64.
a Religious Mythological depiction of it like on Dante's Inferno (the game)
or a biomechanical hellscape like... H.R. Giger's works

or maybe something lovecraftian-like; pulsating fleshy walls, weird architecture that don't resemble anything from earth, and a touch of insanity at that, maybe something like that.

or Xen from half-life.....maybe....

My personal all-time favorite artistic depiction of hell comes from the black metal Emperor album "In The Nightside Eclipse." It is an interesting and unique take, with minimal Christian "fire and brimstone" clichés. Here is the full art with the album writing removed. It's also a damn good record musically:

Not sure what category of hellscape this would fall into. I love H.R. Giger too though and feel elements of his style suit hell brilliantly.

EDIT: Found a higher quality image.

HellVain said:

I like how they did with the medieval feel in the new DooM with all the bone-based archetecture so I'm not going to complain. I was just wondering what you guys prefer.

maybe something like a dark psychedelic hellscape like on doom 3.
a gothic mystical one like on DooM 64.
a Religious Mythological depiction of it like on Dante's Inferno (the game)
or a biomechanical hellscape like... H.R. Giger's works

or maybe something lovecraftian-like; pulsating fleshy walls, weird architecture that don't resemble anything from earth, and a touch of insanity at that, maybe something like that.

or Xen from half-life.....maybe....

A variety, Diablo-esque, psychedelic physics defying, a sumerian/egyptian esque aesthetic, greco-roman, corporeal and body horror, giger-easque.

RUSH said:

My personal all-time favorite artistic depiction of hell comes from the black metal Emperor album "In The Nightside Eclipse." It is an interesting and unique take, with minimal Christian "fire and brimstone" clichés. Here is the full art with the album writing removed. It's also a damn good record musically:

http://www.mediaboom.org/uploads/posts/2014-06/1401908506_cover.jpg

Not sure what category of hellscape this would fall into. I love H.R. Giger too though and feel elements of his style suit hell brilliantly.

This is amazing...holy shit...

CreamCheese said:

A variety, Diablo-esque, psychedelic physics defying, a sumerian/egyptian esque aesthetic, greco-roman, corporeal and body horror, giger-easque.

you are everywhere.

are you a moderator CreamCheese?

HellVain said:

do people still even go to DooM 3?

I do. It's one of my favorite games :)

RUSH said:

I do. It's one of my favorite games :)

Oh I see...It's just that I rarely see any mods and multiplayer stuff happening regarding doom 3...it's always DooM and DooM II.

I think weather is an often overlooked aspect that could make hell a lot more interesting. I'm not talking about normal clouds and rain, but instead dark lightning and emphasis on the abstract/scary weather formations like supercells or lenticular clouds. Would be neat to see these concepts explored more in games:

RUSH said:

I think weather is an often overlooked aspect that could make hell a lot more interesting. I'm not talking about normal clouds and rain, but instead dark lightning and emphasis on the abstract/scary weather formations like supercells or lenticular clouds. Would be neat to see these concepts explored more in games:

http://sm-images-cdn.suburbanmen.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/supercell-storms-20150402-1.jpg

http://amazingdata.com/mediadata31/Image/hot_weird_funny_amazing_cool4_thumbs_lenticular-cloud-formations-1_2009073100123312540.jpg

Oooh, I get your point. I think Dante's inferno did it...but we only see something like flaming rain storms.

...oh! maybe something like this

I like a dark psychedelic gothic mystical biomechanical Lovecraftian Xen like hellscape.

With pulsating fleshy walls, weird architecture that doesn't resemble anything from Earth, a touch of insanity, and a sense of scale.

In otherwords, you feel like you are on something much much larger than what any human can comprehend.

Also I wouldn't mind jumping from platform to platform like in Half-Life when you enter Xen, Xen was pretty cool IMHO. Despite what people say, I think it sort of was like the Inferno episode reimagined in 1998.

After all Gabe Newell's experience with Doom sort of led to him creating Half-Life (well that, and The Mist, and some other stuff.)

But in all seriousness, I want the hellscape in Doom 2016 to look mysterious and otherworldy. Like it leaves you in awe, but at the same time you are utterly terrified.

Ideally, it would give you a sense of scale like Gaur Plains in Xenoblade Chronicles or even the first episode of Doom where you see the mountains in the distance and that gives you the feeling of scale and awe.

Perhaps there should always be a perpetual light red fog. Nothing too heavy that it obscures vision. But a small amount of fog would add to atmosphere IMHO.

One thing I wish I could mod into Doom but lack the resources and also the willpower to do so (I am rather lazy. =P)

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/half-life/images/d/da/Bullsquid_Xen_Op4.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100129120110&path-prefix=en

That Morbid Angel album cover is absolutely phenomenal, definitely what I would like to see. Giger was the modern master of gothic imagery and I always wanted to explore landscapes like this.

Heironymus Bosch really delivers in the hell portion of his "Garden of Earthly Delights" triptych, in particular the upper layers.

Zdzisław Beksiński is kind of a Polish Giger and this haunting painting is very hellish.

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/55f4aa90e4b044a1a3403b43/t/564923f9e4b044052279070a/1447633918573/?format=750w

GoatLord said:

Nice Goatlord, those are all great picks! Never seen that last one before. It is damn creepy, but extremely effective. And here's the full Morbid Angel artwork by Dan Seagrave. Extended vertically from the version I posted earlier:

This along with "In The Nightside Eclipse" are probably the two greatest artistic interpretations of hell I've ever seen.

I'm more of a fleshy organic Hell sort of person but also with a nice mix of Gothic and industrial architecture. Actually I would prefer to imagine various levels of Hell would have different aesthetics. More higher levels would better represent Earth but in dark twisted ways and further down you go become Hellish and organic until it becomes the traditional fire, lava and brimstone with the largest Demons inhabitants and the Devil himself.

I can't find a good picture but here is a screenshot of Requiem: Avenging Angel - in the beginning you're in Hell and there are people connected to the organic walls screaming and moaning begging to die as demons chew on them etc I think this was based off the Quake 2 engine.

I personally love things that simply don't make any sense. Would love to see empty voids as obstacles, and if you enter them you're slowly ripped apart by endless beings, hell...you can even try and fight them off as your health goes down for the fun of it, you wont win. It also doesn't make sense to enter say a mountain, but when you enter it, you're in an endless wasteland with a sky and everything, it's like going through a seamless portal. Basically, anything that really fucks with your head.

I also like eyes...in walls, trees, cliffs...etc, or things that are constantly watching you, everywhere. Maybe even little dark Gollum like creatures lingering but never attacking you...whispering evil things from the distance, when you get close they scurry away.

Oh, and torture...lots and lots of torture. The sense of true evil.

EDIT: Oh, I also had an extremely fucked up dream one time where there were heads on steaks that were still alive, and instead of looking like they were in serious physical pain, they looked sad, and they were crying. I woke up in a puddle of sweat that night.

I like the idea of floating megalithic structures, massive thunderous skies covered in violent storms and supercells, giant flesh picked skeletons of ancient titans, Cthulian creatures floating across the skies, constellations of uncharted stars, many moons, rivers of blood, the screams of the damned... and the list is pretty much endless.

Hell is best represented by abstract geometry that is spatially coherent but senseless in design. Which is precisely why the original Doom games did it better than anyone else.

TheWizard said:

I personally love things that simply don't make any sense. Would love to see empty voids as obstacles, and if you enter them you're slowly ripped apart by endless beings, hell...you can even try and fight them off as your health goes down for the fun of it, you wont win. It also doesn't make sense to enter say a mountain, but when you enter it, you're in an endless wasteland with a sky and everything, it's like going through a seamless portal. Basically, anything that really fucks with your head.

I also like eyes...in walls, trees, cliffs...etc, or things that are constantly watching you, everywhere. Maybe even little dark Gollum like creatures lingering but never attacking you...whispering evil things from the distance, when you get close they scurry away.

Oh, and torture...lots and lots of torture. The sense of true evil.

EDIT: Oh, I also had an extremely fucked up dream one time where there were heads on steaks that were still alive, and instead of looking like they were in serious physical pain, they looked sad, and they were crying. I woke up in a puddle of sweat that night.

mmm.. heads on steaks..

TheGamePhilosophe said:

Hell is best represented by abstract geometry that is spatially coherent but senseless in design. Which is precisely why the original Doom games did it better than anyone else.

Agreed. Senseless design. The player must truly feel disturbed and lost.

Piper Maru's pics are exactly it -- that's what I want. There's a few places in the Souls series that would fit as well.

Chezza said:

I'm more of a fleshy organic Hell sort of person but also with a nice mix of Gothic and industrial architecture. Actually I would prefer to imagine various levels of Hell would have different aesthetics. More higher levels would better represent Earth but in dark twisted ways and further down you go become Hellish and organic until it becomes the traditional fire, lava and brimstone with the largest Demons inhabitants and the Devil himself.

I can't find a good picture but here is a screenshot of Requiem: Avenging Angel - in the beginning you're in Hell and there are people connected to the organic walls screaming and moaning begging to die as demons chew on them etc I think this was based off the Quake 2 engine.

http://www.crawspace.com/ss/misc/72.jpg

Holy shit, I've looked it up and it is really disturbing. Must have been insane back in the day.