Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fuzzball

Multiple Exits in Maps

So while I was in the shower getting all squeaky clean I was mulling over mapping ideas and why I can't finish anything.
Something came up along the lines of exits in maps and their use, more of a "what if" scenario- Multiple exits...Excluding hubs and secret exits of course.

Is this something that is a thing in any particular standout maps or wads of any kind?

Not just multiple paths but multiple and optional exits placed throughout the map, leading to the next map as normal but in a way that feel like how other areas of the map to explore. Perhaps whole sections of a map that would normally be unexplored when played differently, encouraging "replayability" and looking about!

What are you opinions on this, would you like to see more? Or have notable examples?

I think most people want cool interesting maps. And to be able to clear them nicely :D

I don't want to be thinking that a switch may end the map prematurely. Also I don't want to think I missed some secret map or something ...

VGA said:

I think most people want cool interesting maps. And to be able to clear them nicely :D

I don't want to be thinking that a switch may end the map prematurely. Also I don't want to think I missed some secret map or something ...

yeah it would need to be properly done to tell the player that "this is the secret map exit" and "this is an alternate exit"

Deus Vult II had normal exits and "suicide exits" for speedrunners. I'm totally for the multiple exit ordeal if for that aspect alone.

FuzzballFox said:

Or have notable examples?

Like Eternal Doom MAP20: Silures?

In general, having multiple key pickups and multiple (regular) exits (as well as marking everything as "secret") is the mark of a crappy PWADs, with very few exceptions.

Maes said:

In general, having multiple key pickups and multiple (regular) exits (as well as marking everything as "secret") is the mark of a crappy PWADs, with very few exceptions.

Depends all on what the map is trying to achieve.
I have, for example once seen a map with two regular exits, leading to different starting positions in the next map.

I have also seen a map that has one regular exit in a secret area that allows the player to skip a very hard to navigate part of the map. The exit was clearly meant as a reward.

What I haven't seen is maps that gratuitously add multiple exits without making a point.

For some reason I never got far in Asylum of the Wretched (I don't know, just not my style), but from what I understand it has at least two exits with multiple ways to reach them and it was praised for its nonlinearity\replayability.

Graf, what you are describing sounds impossible to achieve without modern source port scripting. I was thinking more 1994 or Sadhus Chauffer Trio-style crappy PWADs.

That being said, the ealiest (non-crappy) use of multiple pickups for the same skull/key was in FORGEX.WAD. I'm not saying more, because that would be a spoiler ;-)

I once mulled about the idea of maps with major secret areas, making up 60% or more of the map, including additional keys and alternate exits. It sounds cool on paper but its difficult to pull off.

I do think it could be cool to have "secret exits" for continuous play which includes armor, new weapons and ammo items to carry over into the next map. Still, I'm not sure why just having a secret area before the exit would be out of the question and warrant an entirely unique alternate exit.

It's by no means a "stand out" set, but you can take multiple paths in nearly every UAC Rebellion map. The shortest route only requires you to even play 8 of the 15 maps that are present, even then you can skip large portions of the maps if you go secret hunting. I might do that again at some point in the future.

Maes said:

Graf, what you are describing sounds impossible to achieve without modern source port scripting.

Case one requires ZDoom's extended exit specials, but no scripting.
Case two can be done in vanilla.