Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kuchitsu

What does the boss say in Garrulismo Map30?

I don't know if you know already, but a 'Garrulo' is slang (at least was in Murcia) for someone who's a bit uncultured, out of the loop; boorish.

Wow.

This is hard.

Myk should descifer this...

I hear Es un torpedo como lo tiene un graduado escolar y tu tiene(s) una etiqueta de ??? del mono!

Probably not 100% correct but it says something like "¡Eres un torpedo, todo el mundo tiene un Graduado Escolar y tú tienes una etiqueta de Anís del Mono!"

The translation is approximately "You're a faggot, everyone has a scholar degree and you just have a label of Anís del Mono!"
(Absolutely not sure about that torpedo = faggot part, probably spelled incorrectly. Some Spanish speakers please chime in.)

Anís del Mono is a brand of alcoholic drink popular in Spain.

The quote is by a Spanish comedian known as Chiquito de la Calzada.

Anyway, you should know this, you were there when Alteus translated it when we had this wad for TNS :P

Thanks Keyboard_Doomer, I was going absolutely mental about it, listening like 30 times, refusing to asking natives ("they would ask what is it from due to curiosity and then would not be able to answer anyway").

I tried to make up something like nariz del mono, monkey's nose, even though I wasn't hearing that, as boss brain has like monkey's nose (?!?).

What you said makes much more sense.

Haha, thanks. Yeah, I asked Alteus about this before but totally forgot his answer... And lol, Doom is actually mentioned in that Wikipedia article.

Keyboard_Doomer is correct, it says "¡Eres un torpedo, todo el mundo tiene un Graduado Escolar y tú tienes una etiqueta de Anís del Mono!".

But I'm not sure about torpedo=faggot. From what I've heard (keep in mind I'm from Mexico, not Spain), torpedo could mean someone who is very good at something (for example, "¡Eres un torpedo en fútbol!" would mean "You are a badass at football!". At least that's what I understand, but you should probably wait for someone "native" (I'm sure I've seen some people from Spain here...).

EDIT: typo.

EDIT: Shit, sorry, I forgot to say, Anís is Anisette:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisette

It was translated like this by Alteus (he's from Spain) as I mentioned above. However, it's possible he couldn't find a good equivalent of the word in English so he chose a swear word that he thought would fit.

I tried searching for what could "torpedo" mean in Spanish slang but I only found the literal translations.

Hi all. Better late than never...

Chiquito de la Calzada is an Spanish comedian, and was really big here in the 90s. Part of his humour was in what we could call "chiquitospeak": he invented new words and used others in a non-sensical way. So "torpedo" in Spanish means exactly that, an offensive naval weapon, but in Chiquitospeak was something like "this random dude involved in the joke I'm telling".

Keyboard_Doomer got it right.

Wow, thanks for the answer and for making the wad! :D (I'm kuchitsu)

Are you still making maps btw? I think last one I played was from 2013.

Well, "torpedo" has a lot of meanings in this part of South America. In Chile (where I live), "torpedo" means a way to cheat in school-uni-college exams through a piece of paper or written in the palm of a hand or a phone message containing the answers of that exam.