Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RyoAsuka

Can Doom be E-Sports material?

I am still confused on what we are talking about.

The only similarity between Overwatch and the new Doom is that they are both FPS's. Other than that, they couldn't be any more different if you tried.

Overwatch
-Blizzard Fanbase
-Class based characters
-Easy to learn and play casually (if you play with just 1 character, otherwise a steep learning curve)
-G rated cornball

Doom
-Doom Fanbase
-Weapon based loadouts (everyone plays doomguy)
-Easy to learn, hard to master
-Modding/Snapmap! This alone will give Doom the massive edge since there will be ZERO modding in Overwatch. Players will be the ones making the more competitive maps.
-M rated

Zemini said:

-Modding/Snapmap! This alone will give Doom the massive edge since there will be ZERO modding in Overwatch. Players will be the ones making the more competitive maps.

This isn't confirmed. Remember, while Blizzard has made games without modding support like Heroes of the Storm, they've also made the Starcraft 2 Arcade and, hell, the Warcraft 3 World Editor.

Y'know. The reason why two of the largest e-sports even exist today.

Maybe they won't have the Overwatch map editor available on release, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was eventually added in. FPSes have community-created levels as a standard, after all.

Arctangent said:

This isn't confirmed. Remember, while Blizzard has made games without modding support like Heroes of the Storm, they've also made the Starcraft 2 Arcade and, hell, the Warcraft 3 World Editor.

Y'know. The reason why two of the largest e-sports even exist today.

Maybe they won't have the Overwatch map editor available on release, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was eventually added in. FPSes have community-created levels as a standard, after all.

Blizzard will never release a tool to make their own maps. When I say never, I mean it. They don't do it for WoW, and Diablo for specific reasons. They promised they "might" release it for heroes but it is looking more likely that will never happen. If you don't make it from the ground up as you develop, it won't happen unless they have a third party involved.

Starcraft had it because editing maps for their RTS's go back since the beginning. It is expected now.