Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kim Kitten

Convert PSX and PC Doom Music into MP3's

Creating MP3's from Doom MIDI files - PC & PSX versions:-

To get the music from PSX discs (note: This will work with any PSX disc with AUDIO files). Download a program called "CDex" (I'll make it available on my website if you can't find it - this program allows you to rip music files from a CD), and install it. Open up the program and insert a DISC into your CD ROM Drive. In the CDex window, highlight the track you want to rip, then select either "Convert to WAV" or "Convert to MP3".

Converting the Doom MIDI files is a little more involved:-
Programs:-
WinTex & a registered version of Quick Time 5.

Open WinTex and convert the MIDI files into a file (MIDI) format on your HD.
Open Quick Time 5:-

(Step 1 MIDI to MOV)
File:- Open movie in new player (In the 'load' area select 'All Files' to show the MIDI files), select one and click on 'Convert', this converts it to a 'MOV' file. Do this for each MIDI file.

(Step 2 MOV to AIFF)
File:- Open movie in new player, and select a MOV file. File:- "Export as" then from the pulldown menu select "Music to AIFF" and in the "Options" adjust your settings to how you want them, then "Save" - this creates the AIFF file.

(Step 3 AIFF to WAV)
File:- Open movie in new player, and select an AIFF file. File:- "Export as" then from the pulldown menu select "Music to WAV" and in the "Options" adjust your settings to how you want them, then "Save" - this creates the WAV file.

(Step 4 WAV to MP3)
Open up CDex, select "WAV to MP3" then find your WAV file/s and highlight them (Hold down SHIFT and select with the mouse) then click on OK (or Convert) - this creates the MP3.

-----------------

I'm currently looking into ways to play PSX Doom levels on the PC, and vice versa, I'll let you know.

Seems like a rather convoluted way of doing it. Winamp has MIDI to WAV conversion I believe, which is probably easier than messing around with QuickTime. Also, CDex is only one CD ripper. I usually use EAC or GRip to rip CDs, and LAME to encode the WAVs to MP3.

i want a good cd ripper that can encode too. i have been using this weird german cd ripper that encodes with LAME but i'd like to try some alternatives for this computer. any sites off the top of yer heads for good rippin software? freeware, of course.

Unfortunately Winamp's disk write output plugin does not work on MIDI file, who knows why.
IIRC CDex uses Lame to encode by default. It's a nice program, if I'd rip CDs, I'd use it :)

Use3D said:

i want a good cd ripper that can encode too. i have been using this weird german cd ripper that encodes with LAME but i'd like to try some alternatives for this computer. any sites off the top of yer heads for good rippin software? freeware, of course.

i use EAC to rip and blade to encode.

The only psx doom music that you can rip with CDex are the 6 crappy tracks that you can hear in your CD player.

The really cool music is the level music, which you can download from elbryans site, since I know of no way of ripping it from the CD (and I've tried evrything!)

I've also been investigating psx level editing but haven't come up with anything.