Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gez

Serious Source; Open Sam

Wow, that's nice of them. Are there any features Sam has over say, Quake 3 for example? At a glance it seems it tolerated wide open environments and enemy hoards better.

About fucking time. Hopefully someone can put it to good use...

Is it the same engine as Second Encounter? Can it play both, I mean?

VGA said:

Yes, apparently so.

VGA said:

Both first and second encounters run on the same engine, seeing as second encounter is an expansion pack.

I've heard a few say the source isn't impressive, but even with that said it's a great gesture. I hope more developers follow suit for their older titles - It inevitably breathes new life into old classics.

Doomkid said:

I hope more developers follow suit for their older titles - It inevitably breathes new life into old classics.

I still wish Atari would allow Jace Hall to finally use the Blood source code or even release it.

Glaice said:

zSam, anyone?

Nah, I'd rather have something original for once.

Glaice said:

zSam, anyone?

A spruced up engine would be cool even if it's just porting it to run on modern Direct3D/OpenGL versions and fixing bugs.

I wonder how likely that is, though. Did anything interesting happen with the Doom 3 source?

EDIT: I found iodoom3 but it looks dead. I'm guessing the complexity of making Doom 3 maps/mods makes an engine like this significantly less popular. SS is a lot closer to idtech3 from what I remember.

Doomkid said:

I've heard a few say the source isn't impressive .

For an old engine it's great, able to load large spaces and multiple objects with no troubles .

david_a said:

Did anything interesting happen with the Doom 3 source?

Dark Mod ?

DMGUYDZ64 said:

For an old engine it's great, able to load large spaces and multiple objects with no troubles.

That was referring to the quality of the source code, though. The id engines tend to get a lot of praise for being relatively clean code.

Dark Mod ?

I guess that counts, but I was more thinking of an upgraded engine for playing the existing game.

It makes sense that there might not be one because there's not a lot of low-hanging fruit for something as sophisticated as Doom 3 compared to more primitive engines like Quake.

david_a said:

That was referring to the quality of the source code, though. The id engines tend to get a lot of praise for being relatively clean code.

Apparently (and I'm just repeating what someone else wrote in the Zdoom thread for this), Sam's engine uses a ton of assembly, and what C++ it does use is extremely un-idiomatic.

I'm really tired of hearing about Brutal Doom. I hope people continue to bring it up to complain about it existing forever.

Jaxxoon R said:

Apparently (and I'm just repeating what someone else wrote in the Zdoom thread for this), Sam's engine uses a ton of assembly, and what C++ it does use is extremely un-idiomatic.

Assembly? That's why it was running so good with all those enemies and big spaces with cool gfx? Nice.

Also, I think for a language to be un-idiomatic, it's good :D

Jaxxoon R said:

I'm really tired of hearing about Brutal Doom. I hope people continue to bring it up to complain about it existing forever.

Here, here!!

david_a said:

EDIT: I found iodoom3 but it looks dead. I'm guessing the complexity of making Doom 3 maps/mods makes an engine like this significantly less popular. SS is a lot closer to idtech3 from what I remember.

Not just dead, never got off the ground in the first place. See the wiki about it, and the actual active ports :P

Interesting. However, I think I am going to wait for the following to occur before I get real interested in this:

1. Icculus's linux port source code is released.
2. A centralized source port (like ioquake3) is released.
3. All assembly is converted to C or another programming language in order to maximize compatibility.
4. The centralized port can be played on numerous devices on numerous architextures.
5. If it doesn't already exist, demo recording support, especially for multiplayer modes.

Danfun64 said:

5. If it doesn't already exist, demo recording support, especially for multiplayer modes.

Demos certainly exist since the earliest tech demo release of the game. I remember at least one of the demo versions shipped with a couple of MP demos showing different player models.

Okay then!

...what about the other items on the list? How long do you guys think it will take for them to be completed? Weeks? Months? Years?

Danfun64 said:

Interesting. However, I think I am going to wait for the following to occur before I get real interested in this:

1. Icculus's linux port source code is released.
2. A centralized source port (like ioquake3) is released.
3. All assembly is converted to C or another programming language in order to maximize compatibility.
4. The centralized port can be played on numerous devices on numerous architextures.

I have nothing better to do and I need programming experience, so it would be fun for me to work on one or more of these. Not sure if I would just be duplicating somebody else's efforts, though.

Looking at the activity for the ~200 forks it now has, people seem to be mostly in the phase of getting it to compile on a variety of (PC) platforms and reorganizing the files a bit. Haven't seen any actual work on the code base yet, but there's at least one person who's planning on putting back some features that were removed for the open-source version because of license conflicts.

So, if I understand this correctly, releasing it open source means we can have source ports, like Zandronum, Zdaemon, Boom, etc are for Doom?

Master O said:

So, if I understand this correctly, releasing it open source means we can have source ports, like Zandronum, Zdaemon, Boom, etc are for Doom?

Yes. It doesn't mean that we will have a Samonum or a Bam, because it entirely depends on volunteers having the skill, time, and motivation to do that (and having all three is rare), but it's a possibility.

Gez said:

Yes. It doesn't mean that we will have a Samonum or a Bam, because it entirely depends on volunteers having the skill, time, and motivation to do that (and having all three is rare), but it's a possibility.

Samonum. I like that name.