Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HellVain

9 circles of hell. Can it be possibly in-game?

It would be a cool reference to the divine comedy. larger numbers of Demons could be put on each circle where they belong like the Hell knight on Wrath, Baron on Voilence, or Archvile on Treachery.

Also mancubus in gluttony :P. I'd think we'd at least get some reference to the Inferno considering it's already been done in doom before (DIS as e3m8, the dead center of the 9th circle where Satan is damned for all eternity), I think it would be pretty cool to see what iD does with Satan, that is if this hell has anything to do with the Christian hell (I would think so due to upside down crucifixes)

HellVain said:

It would be a cool reference to the divine comedy. larger numbers of Demons could be put on each circle where they belong like the Hell knight on Wrath, Baron on Voilence, or Archvile on Treachery.

It's been done before in Dante's Inferno. If you ask me, they shouldn't copy the Divine Comedy 100% like you suggest. Maybe take a few things here and there.

DooM_RO said:

It's been done before in Dante's Inferno. If you ask me, they shouldn't copy the Divine Comedy 100% like you suggest. Maybe take a few things here and there.

I didn't say copy it 100%, Only reference it. Like levels based on them where the corresponding demons would be in greater numbers than those lesser ones. Even writings or scribes of suffering souls on the walls.

HellVain said:

I didn't say copy it 100%, Only reference it. Like levels based on them where the corresponding demons would be in greater numbers than those lesser ones. Even writings or scribes of suffering souls on the walls.

Well if that's the case then I think the Baron would signify Pride, not Wrath. I think the Pinkies fit that role.

I agree on the Baron, theyre basically Hell nobles. I think pikies would go hand in hand with Gluttony since they'll ravenously charge at you to eat you.

I doubt it. But it's always a cool concept you can take as a base for your custom level. A guy in the custom WADs forum posted a level he based on the seven deadly sins.

BluePineapple72 said:

Also mancubus in gluttony :P. I'd think we'd at least get some reference to the Inferno considering it's already been done in doom before (DIS as e3m8, the dead center of the 9th circle where Satan is damned for all eternity), I think it would be pretty cool to see what iD does with Satan, that is if this hell has anything to do with the Christian hell (I would think so due to upside down crucifixes)

You know I've always liked the idea of Satan being implemented into the doom series, but nothing like a boss fight or anything that significant but as a optional route to your next objective or an Easter Egg. It would be cool if he was a secret you can interact with for example: you need a new way to get back to mars since the teleporter is currently shutdown. As you traverse deep enough into hell (avoiding your mandatory waypoint) a voice will guide you to an ancient hidden door. Once unlocked there is a human inside chained to the ground and strikes a bargain with you. If you release this silver tongued man from his imprisonment he will transport you from hell back to mars. Something small like that I think that would be pretty neat.

HellVain said:

I don't think we'll be seeing that interpretation of hell, looks like they have a different version of hell involving the realm of the Titans.

Tetzlaff said:

I doubt it. But it's always a cool concept you can take as a base for your custom level. A guy in the custom WADs forum posted a level he based on the seven deadly sins.

I loved that map my god :) I UV-Maxed it but ran out of ammo just in the bloodfalls at the end after wasting all of it on the Cybie, I was forced to chainsaw and berserk my way through all of the various Arachnotrons, Imps, Barons and Mancubi. Great map :) I loved the WW2 part especially!

HellVain said:

I agree on the Baron, theyre basically Hell nobles. I think pikies would go hand in hand with Gluttony since they'll ravenously charge at you to eat you.

House of the Hell Nobles in Hell on Earth Starter Pack :^

I prefer a more abstract and new interpretation, rather than being beholden to classic literature. If anything, heavy metal album covers should be the literature.

Though I can dig the idea, I remember that concept being used interestingly in the Spawn comics.

I would love to see a 4 miniboss enemy paying tribute to the Four Horsemen (War, Pestilence, Death, and Conquest). Imagine how awesome they can look! How badass it would be glory killing them!

Potatoguy said:

I would love to see a 4 miniboss enemy paying tribute to the Four Horsemen (War, Pestilence, Death, and Conquest). Imagine how awesome they can look! How badass it would be glory killing them!

The new X-Men Apocalypse movie this summer is doing that anyway. (like in the comics and cartoon as well)

Potatoguy said:

Complete with Doomguy taking off his helmet to reveal he is Bruce Willis.

MrInternational said:

Something small like that I think that would be pretty neat.

What if the icon of sin is Satan? Or maybe what if the head of Satan is on a spike inside the icons brain! (Btw I'm not saying Romero is satan, I just think it would be a cool throwback to have a head on a spike inside the icon) I've always thought of the icons brain being some new gateway to a pure hell, only for the most diabolical of sinners

Piper Maru said:

Speaking about the Icon of Sin, I think it's going to be one of those fallen Titans that we got a glimpse of.

I think he may be alive, or resurrected on the space station base of the uac (and then the icon was a zombie!)

BluePineapple72 said:

I think he may be alive, or resurrected on the space station base of the uac (and then the icon was a zombie!)

They're gonna need a bigger boat. No wait, a bigger space station.

*The titan comes to life and looks at you surrounded by hundreds of demonic corpses.*

Doomguy: I must kill the dmons! I must kill you!

IoS: no john, you are the demons!

but in all seriousness, a titan coming back to life because of some religious screw head would an awesome addition. maybe even final boss material...then again, it's kinda cliche.

I feel like the icon of sin would be perfect if it had an abundant amount of tech fused into its body. To get back on topic, wouldn't it be cool if there was a Titan for each circle of hell?

I think that would be a bad idea since it would most likely ruin the feel that a titan is something so powerful and huge that you can't even comprehend how someone or something could kill one. But yes, It would be cool.

EternalWolf said:

Complete with Doomguy taking off his helmet to reveal he is Bruce Willis.

Nah, Bruce Willis plays Sarge in this and he's already dead, but he's still gonna show up on pre-recorded video feeds to annoy the player with: "you're gonna have to pick up the pace marine! Mah beloved corps does not have the patience to wait around for your worthless, overpowered butt!"

And then you encounter his demonic form in Hell as a Boss in a "circle" of Hell that's all about military stuff.

BluePineapple72 said:

I feel like the icon of sin would be perfect if it had an abundant amount of tech fused into its body. To get back on topic, wouldn't it be cool if there was a Titan for each circle of hell?

I don't think it needs tech fused in its body to be honest. It's a Titan. It's an ancient demon from Hell. The only tech THAT should be fused is demonic technology, and we don't even know what that would look like. It'd be more organic than the Cyberdemon IMHO.