Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattfrie1

Dissecting Sega Saturn Doom

I reached out to Jim on Twitter to ask who the other person was in SKY21.CHR

Ed is thanked in the credits screen that never appears during gameplay for giving tech support assistance.

Wow. The hidden credits are there in the binary strings by the way. Was thinking about adding them to a credits section of the small Saturn-insprired mod for GZDoom I'm toying with. Longer credits would actually mean enough time to listen to the "credits tune" :). One may think that there was a legit way to see the pics and read the text though...

20 minutes ago, ludicrous_peridot said:

Wow. The hidden credits are there in the binary strings by the way. Was thinking about adding them to a credits section of the small Saturn-insprired mod for GZDoom I'm toying with. Longer credits would actually mean enough time to listen to the "credits tune" :). One may think that there was a legit way to see the pics and read the text though...

Ooh, can't wait to play/test that mod soon.

15 hours ago, ludicrous_peridot said:

Jim added that those pictures were only meant to be Easter eggs when I asked in a follow up tweet, although those credits definitely should have been seen in-game I think.  I did some more detective work and both Ed Hollingshead and Tamar Tashin were a part of the Sega European Tech Support team according to this document.

https://antime.kapsi.fi/sega/files/DTS-0197.pdf

I've been reading a lot of old game magazines on the Internet Archive lately, and I came across this interesting preview of Saturn Doom from the October 1996 issue of GamePro.

491566312_doomsaturngamepropreview.png.e0d05fa4c85d279af09daa9003a5f008.png

Note the slightly different HUD and Doom II sky at E1M1 in the screenshots. Also interesting how the magazine pegged the release date for October 1996 when it really wasn't released until March 1997. Here's a link to the magazine for anyone interested as well.