Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dirty Harry

Final Doom Game Cover

Hi guys,i´m new here and i want to contribute with a small bit of trivia.
Remember the Final Doom box cover?I always liked that cover design.It looked like a weapon magazine or something.I always wondered where ID took that and finally i discovered.It was a original case used in the production of the 1997 science fiction horror Event Horizon.This ammo case was a genuine military surplus case constructed in thick plastic and features a handle and metal clasps to both sides allowing access to both the top and bottom of the case. Such cases can clearly be seen used as set dressing on the Lewis and Clark sprayed silver, this case was once silver and this is clearly visible in large areas, it is believed to have been repainted for use in a subsequent production.

It´s a M621 25mm ammunition box.

http://www.thepropgallery.com/ammo-case

DoomzRules said:

I guess it's just more proof that Event Horizon is the Doom movie we've all been wanting for quite some time now. =)

Lol, I was thinking the same damn thing. That is really cool, especially since Event Horizon is one of my favorite sci-fi films. I myself have always loved the Final Doom box art, particularly the animated "furnace" inside of the logo that was used for the splash screen of the PSX version!

Heh that's cool. I always liked that box art. I used it as a model for the door textures in UAC Ultra.

Dirty Harry said:

Hi guys,i´m new here and i want to contribute with a small bit of trivia.
Remember the Final Doom box cover?I always liked that cover design.It looked like a weapon magazine or something.I always wondered where ID took that and finally i discovered.It was a original case used in the production of the 1997 science fiction horror Event Horizon.This ammo case was a genuine military surplus case constructed in thick plastic and features a handle and metal clasps to both sides allowing access to both the top and bottom of the case. Such cases can clearly be seen used as set dressing on the Lewis and Clark sprayed silver, this case was once silver and this is clearly visible in large areas, it is believed to have been repainted for use in a subsequent production.

It´s a M621 25mm ammunition box.

http://www.thepropgallery.com/ammo-case

http://cdn3.volusion.com/hrpkj.vfbak/v/vspfiles/photos/1186-2.jpg

http://plusmodels.com/store/img-large/usgi-m621-25mm-ammunition-container-ammo-box-empty_172032578743.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/02/Final_Doom_Coverart.png

Could you turn that box into a video game box?

GoatLord said:

Lol, I was thinking the same damn thing. That is really cool, especially since Event Horizon is one of my favorite sci-fi films. I myself have always loved the Final Doom box art, particularly the animated "furnace" inside of the logo that was used for the splash screen of the PSX version!

Event Horizon is probably one of my favorite sci-fi films as well. It's up there with Aliens (1986), and Alien (1979) for me.

I've always loved the Final Doom box art as well, especially the PSX version because of the flames you can see in the background of the image.

Though my favorite box art is probably the PSX Doom cover. It looks so cool. =3

That is damned cool and then some. I always liked the Final Doom box art and the manual is cool as well with whole 'department of armed forces' style..

Interestingly, the story behind TNT: Evilution has a similar idea, a ship that comes from Hell. And the Plutonia Experiment is about an experimental portal to Hell. (Though obviously with a different plot setup)

Also, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119081/trivia

"When Doctor Weir opens the blinds in his room during the opening sequence of the film, a whooshing sound effect can be heard. This sound effect is taken from the video game Doom, heard when the player opens a door." Happens around 4:28

But almost all the Doom sound effects heard in movies are because they are takes fromm popular sound libraries that movie and game studios use.

It's probably not a tribute.

Can we talk about how the ammo box on the Final Doom cover is upside-down? :P

Xaser said:

Can we talk about how the ammo box on the Final Doom cover is upside-down? :P

I guess it's the quickest way to differentiate your art a little bit. So you don't cut it too close...

Doom Dude said:

That is damned cool and then some. I always liked the Final Doom box art and the manual is cool as well with whole 'department of armed forces' style..

Final Doom's sleeve is also similar to Quake 1's. Makes sense since both were in 96.

Yuck, is there nothing original in Doom? In a way my childhood is being demolished with all these discoveries. Maybe it explains why Doom has never been taken seriously by whoever owned it.

printz said:

Yuck, is there nothing original in Doom? In a way my childhood is being demolished with all these discoveries. Maybe it explains why Doom has never been taken seriously by whoever owned it.

Doom is a hodgepodge of 90s references and it's awesome! We keep discovering new stuff...

printz said:

Ugh, Van Gogh didn't even invent sunflowers or haybales, and he didn't even OWN that cafe. I just can't enjoy his paintings anymore.

printz said:

Demons in space is original.

So the Event Horizon's intended destination was the nearest star to our solar system, Proxima Centauri, actually ended up in a dimension of pure chaos. So episode 3 of Doom? Zoinks!

Piper Maru said:

So the Event Horizon's intended destination was the nearest star to our solar system, Proxima Centauri, actually ended up in a dimension of pure chaos. So episode 3 of Doom? Zoinks!

If only they made another Event Horizon movie and kinda went with the Doom sorta vibe.... =)

You know something like Aliens (1986) meets Doom. =D

Jaxxoon R said:

Movies aren't art because nobody sculpted those frames!

What about Pumping Iron? Every single frame contains hot, sculpted bodies.

Great find! And not surprising at all, considering that most fans consider Event Horizon to be the real Doom movie :D