Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
@DarkMasterXbone

Custom heretic wad

That was decent. Definitely room for improvement but I enjoyed it all the same.

The bad:

• Very bright and flat lighting throughout.
  • Everything felt cramped, like you're not really sure of how the scale of things in the map editor translates to how the actual game plays.
  • Could have done with a bit more ammo, and some artifacts. Even a few time bombs would solve both problems.
  • Last fight was pretty easy, just retreat and shoot everything until the way is clear.
  • Kind of strange texturing throughout.
  • Use the exit switch texture for the exit!
The good:
  • Nice starting room, lots going on without swamping the player. Most of the rest of the enemies besides the end were good too.
  • Health balance was good, ammo balance wasn't too far off, I just had to hit things with my staff a bit and that's boring.
  • Scale issues aside, the construction was interesting.
  • It was very short, but that's better than being too long, and I had fun for the short time I was playing.
I'd encourage you to play with lighting, larger rooms, and more height variation for your next map. Maybe a large outdoor area or cavern?

Pretty much what plums said, except I'd like to talk about colors. I don't know heretic's textures that well but everything in the level was just so gray. Like maybe that's what you were going for but when every room looks the same it gets a little bland. You could also use different colors for the doors, to better differentiate.

It also felt really wolfensteiny, but that might be from the cramped rooms, same heights, and every fight was kinda just walk backwards and hold the trigger. It was good though, and it's always nice to see some heretic stuff.

Anyone that makes a Heretic level deserves kudos. Kudos.

I couldn't get out of the first room alive. I tried 5 times. I either suck or it's too hard.

Keep up the good work

I didn't like the invisible walls in the starting room -- put some fence texture to justify them.

Texture use could have been a bit more careful, to avoid stuff like having a wall full of tiling banners, or that horsemen bas-relief that is half sunk into the ground. Also the exit door and exit switch textures are there for a reason, they should be used for exit rooms and not used for anything else. The first doors not being marked with a door texture was my biggest gripe, though.

Playing in smite-meister, I had no problem with ammo balance or difficulty. Finished the game on my first try, without loading saves; and if it weren't for a screaming skull I didn't manage to dodge I'd have exited with 100% health, 100% shield, too!

I'll echo the other comments wrt. crampedness, it works well enough as a short and small level but it'd probably benefit from having more room to "breathe", so to speak.

Loved it, hope to see more heretic wads! Despite its compact size the map has a nice little gameplay flow.

Thanks for all the nice and friendly Feedback.

I make sure too use the Feedback to make better wads
with larger rooms, lighting , height variations and better us of textures next time.