Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr.Enchanter

MidTex bug with ZDaemon

So, I was making a map for a community project (DOOMED IN SPACE) when this happened!

I added a new texture:

And the results were that clusterfuck.

Both ZenNode and DeepBSP rendered the same results, however GLBSP alleviated the problem.

So I was wondering, what the hell caused this?

Glaice said:

I am not seeing any image, and why ZDaemon?

Not sure why you can't when I can, but ZDaemon because the compatibility requirements of the maps.

It could be any number of things, without posting the file in question it's really hard to say. Some guesses:

* You did not convert your texture into a Doom-format image
* You did something else incorrectly to add the texture to your wad
* You've got some kind of improperly built sector that ZDaemon really doesn't like
* A ZDaemon specific bug

I know next to nothing about ZDaemon so those are all just shots in the dark.

Graf Zahl said:

First thing to check: Does this work in other ports?

Sure does, GZDoom, Zandronum, and PrBoom all work just fine. It appears it was a nodebuilder issue (ZenNode being the first one to give me trouble).

Mr.Enchanter said:

Sure does, GZDoom, Zandronum, and PrBoom all work just fine. It appears it was a nodebuilder issue (ZenNode being the first one to give me trouble).

Were all those ports tested in GL mode? Your ZDaemon screenshot looks like it's using software rendering.

Mr.Enchanter said:

It appears it was a nodebuilder issue

This can't be a result of a nodebuilder issue, as textures have nothing to do with nodes. More likely an incorrectly added texture, or one with dimensions that aren't powers of two. Ports with OpenGL rendering might handle those, but 99% of ports with software rendering will not.

Finnaly! Someone who seriously cares about compatiblity and tests +1, I would happily help you if u provide a wad, from what I see u have corrupted TEXTUREx, ZDaemon can be pretty advanced if one knows how-to

Medis said:

Finnaly! Someone who seriously cares about compatiblity and tests +1, I would happily help you if u provide a wad, from what I see u have corrupted TEXTUREx, ZDaemon can be pretty advanced if one knows how-to

I think you're confusing apathy of ZDaemon for apathy of compatibility.

scifista42 said:

This can't be a result of a nodebuilder issue, as textures have nothing to do with nodes. More likely an incorrectly added texture, or one with dimensions that aren't powers of two. Ports with OpenGL rendering might handle those, but 99% of ports with software rendering will not.

Well, I tried both PrBoom and Zandronum in both Software and GL mode and both were fine, sorry I didn't specify before. For some reason rebuilding the TEXTURES and PATCHES files fixed the problem, so either SLADE, ZDaemon, or I messed something up at the time.

Where's all the data? Right here:
http://www.geocities.ws/mrenchanter/DOOMLEVELS/braindamage.wad

The texture has dimensions 192x192. 192 is not a power of two - change at least the texture's width to a number that is a power of two (regardless of whether it tiles horizontally or not in your map), and if the texture was used in another way than as a midtexture on a 2-sided linedef AND if it tiled vertically, you would have to change its height to be a power of two as well.