Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vorknkx

Which game/version have you played the most?

I was thinking about this as I was looking over my DOOM archives... which game and what version is the one that you've played the most over the years?

(This can be measured as total hours played or as number of years when you had this version and played it regularly.)

For me, it would be Doom 1, v1.666 - the very definition of classic. It was my primary version of D1 for about 10 years, until I finally got The Ultimate Doom. Overall, I've played Doom 2 and Final Doom less than D1.

Even today, when I feel super-nostalgic, I fire up the old 1.666 in DOSBox. This is what gives me the purest feel of DOOM :)

What about you, fellow marines?

scifista42 said:

Do PWADs count? What about multiplayer?

I mostly meant the IWAD version (e.g. Doom 1.2, Doom II 1.7a, TNT 1.9, etc.).

Though feel free to mention PWAD's as well, if you know for sure which one you've played the most.

If games only count when I've played them in their original official executable as opposed to source ports, my answers would be Doom 2 v1.666 (when I was young) and Doom 3 (later).

Mentioning a source port is not a problem at all - I didn't think about them at first because the DOS versions are still the ones I have (statistically) played the most (and I suppose the same is true for most of the older Doomers)... this could change after a few years, though ;)

So if you are a part of the newer generation and have worked primarily with source ports - that's a perfectly acceptable answer too. In fact, it will give us a more precise picture.

I've spend most of my Doom playtime with PWADs and the source port Zandronum (and previously Skulltag) in singleplayer, but I can't pick any particular IWAD or PWAD that I've spent an exceptionally long time playing, with the exception of a multiplayer mod "ZDoomWars" (but other than that, I really prefer singleplayer).

I dare say it'd be Doom 2, that is if PWADs count.

I have a feeling that if PWADs in general counted together with the game they're for, literally everybody in this community could say that they spent most of their time with Doom 2.

I've definitely played Doom 2 the most. There's almost no way to escape that, given that pretty much all essential megawads are made for it. Plus it's the better game between the two.

For vanilla doom, I almost always play ultimate doom, though if you count the iwad used with mods then obviously it would be doom II by a landslide. I mostly use gzdoom because compatibility with most mods and mouselook, though I do play in dosbox from time to time. Zandronum for multiplayer too obviously

As far as vanilla is concerned, I've played Doom II v1.9 the most because it was the first Doom game I've played... it wasn't long until I bought The Ultimate Doom for a cheap price at an Office Depot (if my memory serves me right... that's where I also bought Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders.).

Iwad is Doom 2 v1.9.
Pwad is 1monster megawad. (my favourite btw)
Port is GZDoom.(because a lot of features and stuff)

iwad: Doom2 by faaaaar.
pwad: Either zdctfmp, greenwar or rjspace9f. I honestly can't tell anymore.

Doom 2 the most, for singleplayer GZDoom exclusivly because mods and pwads, as for MultiPlayer Zandronum, mostly Ghouls vs Humans TLMS and Samsara survival with addons.
A honorable mentions go to Ultimate Doom and Doom 3, UD because varied levels and fun to play and D3 because very enjoyable game and i still play it with mods.

It's a tie between Zandronum(skull tag), odamex and ZDaemon, with Doom2.exe 1.666 and Doom95 1.9 coming close behind from my childhood.

Legacy is on the board for split screen games and the Doom Connector era as well.

Edit: it's really, really close between SP and Deathmatch(no mods, just custom maps, most gun mods poop on the balance) with coop and CTF being pretty far behind, but I still love em.

In terms of playing through the original levels? Probably Doom 1.

In terms of PWAD usage, Doom 2 through and through -- though that's probably a given.

I almost exclusively use GZDoom, by the way.

Doom 2 v1.666 pirated. it was only in 2010s when I switched to 1.9 because of speedrun demos desynched on map01 and on silver bars of map02

for the games themselves, Ultimate Doom, wads = Doom 2. I don't even really like most of doom 2's maps. Doom 64 as a base game shits on doom 2 in my opinion.

Realistically speaking?

A majority of my playtime has been on The Ultimate Doom, PSX Doom & The Lost Levels, and my favourite Doom game...

Doom 64.