Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mike800

Converting WAD to PK3

Make sprites, flats, music and sounds folders, put the respecting files in there, leave the other in the root folder, then zip it and rename it to pk3. Then open it with SLADE.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

I Usually ... simply import that WAD to the PK3 .

/facepalm

So far you have rejected 3 suggested functional tools merely because of your suspictions that they wouldn't be ideal for you. That way you are likely to end up with nothing.

I'm interested in this kind of tool but not at all costs. I don't intend to compromise on safety and quality.

The only way to make 100% sure any automated tool can't possibly foul up is to do it manually. Or, if you're just that adamant about having it all done by a converter, make backups of whatever you're going to put through it. That way if it does do something wrong you wouldn't have lost anything anyways.

You should always make a back-up. If you just made a change that you don't want to lose, make a back-up. If you are about to make a change you are unsure of, make a back-up. If you are about to use a tool you never used before, or you know could cause damage, make a back-up. If you area about to sneeze, make a back-up. OK, maybe not that last one. I have scores of back-ups of various projects I have worked on.

Mike800 said:

There is also a Python script that converts WAD to PK3. However, a friend advised me not to mess with scripts. Too bad Windows binary wasn't created.

Scripts are fine, so long as you're satisfied there's nothing malicious buried within. Probably the only inconvenience is the need to install Python and grab a copy of OMGIFOL.

I use slade. I also look at other pk3s and see how stuff is organised in it and adapt it for my wad.

Honestly, you just have to click "File > New > New Zip archive" OR "Ctrl+shift+z" (shortcut).

I mean, yes, it takes some time but, I guess it's worth it.

Another advantage of a Python solution (really any scripting language) is there's some conceivable chance that you could read the code and increase your happiness that it did what it claims to do, that simply isn't true for a binary.