Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HellVain

Your first Doom experience..

The shareware version of episode 01. I remember my brother found a disk or something in a magasine and we decided to check it out. We got hooked instantly to the point that we'd play it over and over again :D

I don't remember my first experience since that was about 23 years ago. However, I do remember not long after we got Ultimate Doom back in the 90's, my dad took me to his school or workplace, and I deathmatched one of his friends. I pretty much mopped the floor with him. Keep in mind, mouse play was not possible back then. Lots of alt-strafing lol.

Shareware version, it was a game changer, back then i was used to play Nes or my new genesis. Doom was unique.

I was 4. Then I've discovered my dad playing some wolfTC for Doom as I to think now...
After, I've met Doom2. It was nice, but without sounds, only midis...

Ah...I guess it was very, very, very bad idea when I first play a DooM game(also my First FPS), it was the Plutonia Experiment...(But I didn't know at that time, I was 6th grade and lucky had a 486DX2-66. Got a copy from a shovelware disc with full of illegal shit. And I didn't know DooM at that time, and I didn't understood it's illegal or not at that time, but you get the idea. :p)

Yeah, got my small ass kicked so hard and have to used cheats when try to beat the game(since my keyboard-only FPS skill just at noob level at that time)...and never finished because the infamous Map30 savegame crash(I don't know how to use warp when I was kid and no Internet or game magazines...I only know IDDQD and IDKFA for some reasons, I forgot why...)

Later I got Shareware version(from some Shareware shovelware disc, of course...lol) of DooM 1 and play it like blast, and I still confused why the other one just goddamn hard for no reasons at that time...until I eventually understood Plutonia Experiment was not DooM or DooM 2 but Final DooM...

Thank gods, it didn't ruined my experience of FPS and made me give up on them. :p

I was hanging out at the Pizza Hut where my mom worked in the summer of 1994. While grabbing some free slices of cheese pizza and preparing to walk to the card shop next door to play some Mortal Kombat II, my friend Julius found me and excitedly showed me his copy of this brand new game that I'd never heard of: Doom. I could tell that he thought it was a big deal but I was obsessed with MKII and had somehow gone without knowing anything about Doom, so I politely said (in so many words) "That's great dude. I'm heading out though".

Cut to the spring of 1996 when I began hearing that Doom was a sequel of sorts to Wolfenstein 3D, which I HAD played a little over two years prior. "Wait, why the hell haven't I played this before?" I told myself. Not owning a gaming computer but seeing that the title was available on the SNES, I spotted a copy at the nearby Pick 'N Save video rental section and grabbed it right away. I was sold immediately - the spring of 1996 was dominated by my ever-deepening obsession with the game. I hear that the SNES version gets a lot of flack but I'll always love it, it was my first experience with Doom.

1996 was a very transitional year. Not only did I move with the family to a new town 90 miles away and turn 18 in the fall, I got my first Playstation for my birthday. I'd had my eye on it for some time and the game I was most excited for was Ultimate Doom. Just as the spring had seen me obsessed with the game on the SNES, the fall saw me obsessed all over again with the PS version.

This is my 20th anniversary of discovering this phenomenal game.

I was 5 when I first played Doom 1 shareware. The first time my dad bought a computer and my brother got a copy of Doom 1 shareware version. It was so much fun, I just walked around on E1M1 and killed some Zombies, just wondering where to go now...haha, it was really fun :D I still remember that day, it always makes me smile :)

miketheratguy said:

I was hanging out at the Pizza Hut where my mom worked in the summer of 1994. While grabbing some free slices of cheese pizza and preparing to walk to the card shop next door to play some Mortal Kombat II, my friend Julius found me and excitedly showed me his copy of this brand new game that I'd never heard of: Doom. I could tell that he thought it was a big deal but I was obsessed with MKII and had somehow gone without knowing anything about Doom, so I politely said (in so many words) "That's great dude. I'm heading out though".

Cut to the spring of 1996 when I began hearing that Doom was a sequel of sorts to Wolfenstein 3D, which I HAD played a little over two years prior. "Wait, why the hell haven't I played this before?" I told myself. Not owning a gaming computer but seeing that the title was available on the SNES, I spotted a copy at the nearby Pick 'N Save video rental section and grabbed it right away. I was sold immediately - the spring of 1996 was dominated by my ever-deepening obsession with the game. I hear that the SNES version gets a lot of flack but I'll always love it, it was my first experience with Doom.

1996 was a very transitional year. Not only did I move with the family to a new town 90 miles away and turn 18 in the fall, I got my first Playstation for my birthday. I'd had my eye on it for some time and the game I was most excited for was Ultimate Doom. Just as the spring had seen me obsessed with the game on the SNES, the fall saw me obsessed all over again with the PS version.

This is my 20th anniversary of discovering this phenomenal game.

This might sound like a stupid question but.... when you played Doom... did you find it gorier than Mortal Kombat II?

I'm just curious. :3

DoomzRules said:

This might sound like a stupid question but.... when you played Doom... did you find it gorier than Mortal Kombat II?

I'm just curious. :3

Hmm.. No, I can't say that I did. Since I began with the SNES version it was more pixelated and less excessive than the PC counterpart, so when compared to things like arm rips and body explosions it didn't feel as graphic. The visceral thrill was still there - blasting countless baddies and hearing the satisfying click of weapons like the shotgun was lots of fun - but it simply wasn't as gory.

The PS version was like an upgrade to the SNES version and for that reason I'm glad that I started with the latter. In the PS version monsters leave more gooey-looking messes when blasted with rockets and the automatic doors will leave a satisfying squishy sound if it happens to close down on (and crush) an enemy corpse.

Now that I've played Brutal Doom the game does indeed feel like a Mortal Kombat-level orgy of bloodletting.

miketheratguy said:

Hmm.. No, I can't say that I did. Since I began with the SNES version it was more pixelated and less excessive than the PC counterpart, so when compared to things like arm rips and body explosions it didn't feel as graphic. The visceral thrill was still there - blasting countless baddies and hearing the satisfying click of weapons like the shotgun was lots of fun - but it simply wasn't as gory.

The PS version was like an upgrade to the SNES version and for that reason I'm glad that I started with the latter. In the PS version monsters leave more gooey-looking messes when blasted with rockets and the automatic doors will leave a satisfying squishy sound if it happens to close down on (and crush) an enemy corpse.

Now that I've played Brutal Doom the game does indeed feel like a Mortal Kombat-level orgy of bloodletting.

Ah. I love Brutal Doom to death, mixing PSX Doom with Brutal Doom proves to make for an awesome experience! =D

What's even cooler is that there's a Classic class in V20B now so I don't have to worry about reloading or anything like that. Plus it's all the weapons that I remember and love! It's great!

Anyway, if you are interested here's this

http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/addons/psx-doom-fully-compatability

It allows PSX Doom TC to be compatible with the latest version of Brutal Doom v20b. Also check out The Lost Levels. It's pretty awesome man. It adds in a bunch of PC levels into PSX Doom and makes it look all PSXsy. It's cool! =)

DoomzRules said:

It allows PSX Doom TC to be compatible with the latest version of Brutal Doom v20b. Also check out The Lost Levels. It's pretty awesome man. It adds in a bunch of PC levels into PSX Doom and makes it look all PSXsy. It's cool! =)

Thanks, I wanted to try the PSX TC but when I went to play it just now I remember why I didn't before: I get an "execution could not continue" error along with something about a script error related to slime.

Before I ever played, around the time the game came out, I was given a gaming magazine that happened to have a strategy article on Doom. I was fascinated by reading about the monsters and such but didn't dare ask my conservative parents for a game with such a reputation for being violent and evil.

So time passed until, in the late 90s, I took to bringing a floppy disk to the high school computer lab, heading to a site called "The Gamer's Inn" and downloading some shareware onto the disk to bring home each time. After working up my courage to give it a try, shareware Doom came home on one of those trips, and I had quite a bit of late night fun with it as I recall, though I'd already tried Heretic and Catacomb Abyss at that point, which might explain some of my inclination towards those. It wouldn't be for a few years more that I got a full copy for myself.

The Gamer's Inn site is, of course, long gone (and now occupied by some shitty squatter page), but here's a little shot of nostalgia courtesy of the Wayback Machine. Really takes me back!

I had a neighbor that moved in when I was 10 or 11 that told me about an amazing game he played back in the day called "Doom", but wouldn't show me because I was too young. I moved to Ohio when I was 12, and then tried the SNES version in an emulator.

I regret the SNES version being my first experience; while it may be based directly on the PC version, it's so untrue to the original game. I honestly prefer the 32X version to it; at least it has the real Doom engine and plays like Doom (not to mention better performance).