Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Why doesn't Doom 64 have dynamic lights for weapons?

I already mentioned this briefly in another thread, which refers to another thread in which someone mentioned the N64's hardware not being able to emulate it correctly. I really can't remember whether or not this is true or if that was even confirmed, as it seems more like speculation. Can anyone shed light (no pun intended) on this? No weapons or projectiles affect the lighting, something that even the original Doom could do (albeit by brightening every sector all at once).

Have you actually seen this problem with the game on the original hardware or via emulation?

Avoozl said:

Have you actually seen this problem with the game on the original hardware or via emulation?

If you play the game, there's no dynamic lights for any weapons. There's a fake one for the BFG (tinting effect), and possibly the plasma rifle.

My best guess is they just didn't deem it necessary or didn't think of it. I've seen N64 with legit dynamic light sources that even move around like Donkey Kong 64 so I can't imagine why they couldn't easily use Doom's fake flash light if they wanted to.

Don't want to jack the thread but I've always wondered why Quake II on N64 is the only version of the game with muzzle flashes added to the weapons.

It could also be because the way lightning works in Doom 64 ( basically having separate colors and intensities for ceilings, the top, middle, and bottom of walls, floors, and sprites - I don't even think their was a central brightness attributes like in PC Dooms ) would've made dynamic lighting far more laggy or would've flat-out conflicted with the rest of the lighting.

GoatLord said:

No weapons or projectiles affect the lighting, something that even the original Doom could do (albeit by brightening every sector all at once).

Projectiles never affected anything in the original Doom.

Da Werecat said:

Projectiles never affected anything in the original Doom.

Right, right, what I meant to say, is that in Doom 64, none of the weapons you fire, be the hitscanner or projectile weapons, light up the area like they do in Classic Doom. Arctangent made a very good point about how the gradient system probably affected things. I can imagine the devs trying out the effect and seeing it goof up severely, and not wanting to spend weeks trying to get it to look right. Maybe I'm being nitpicky, but it does take me out of the experience just a little to not see the room light up when I fire a weapon.