Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snapshot

Changing respawn spot (ZDoom)

I'm working on a Multiplayer co-op map for Zandronum and i need help, my Map format is ZDoom (Doom in Hexen format), i'm looking for some way to change respawn point so that players don't have to go through all the level again, The point is to prevent players from going backwards, There is a way but i don't know what is it, help ! :(

So, if I understand correctly, you want to move player starts to new places after these specific places are reached by the players?

I'm not entirely sure if it's possible to move player starts like every other thing, but in case it is, you would have it easy: Use Teleport_NoFog, SetActorPosition, or any other ACS function that changes position of a thing. In case it isn't, just place teleporters near the start of the map, leading to further parts of the map and getting opened / unlocked / enabled only after said parts of the map are reached by the players.

SetActorPosition is the one i need, i'm also gonna put teleports near start like you said just in case if players want to teleport back to location if they died, thanks for the tip .

Moving player starts isn't possible because player starts are just points on the map and not full fledged mobjs.

However, the players themselves are mobjs. And in ZDoom, you can use RESPAWN scripts to have a player run a script when respawning. So put your Teleport call in a RESPAWN script and there you go. You'll need another script as well to, as the players explore the level, update some variable to know where the respawn point should be exactly, of course.

But a RESPAWN script is executed each time player respawns ?, and if i have more than 1 they're likely going to be executed at same time .

Yes, that's the point. You CANNOT move the player start. So every time a player respawns, they'll respawn at the original point for starting the game. So if you want to make it look like they respawned elsewhere, you'll have to move them every time they respawn.

Gez said:

you'll have to move them every time they respawn.

What if i wanted them to respawn in a location different than last one they respawned in ?, Is there only that teleports trick ?

RESPAWN script is executed FOR EACH player who respawns and AT THE TIME he respawns, which makes it convenient to use it to move/teleport that one player elsewhere into the map.

Figured out a better way, gonna create a WHILE script that is executed each time player respawns .

I don't understand what you're doing (what is a "WHILE script" even supposed to be, while isn't a script type, it's a flow control instruction) and honestly I don't think you understand what you're doing either.

I swear to god he's been acting this dumb recently on purpose. This is the same guy that just a year ago apparently ported some Sonic X-treme .DEF files across format versions with little to no help. Almost every post of his now is just him misinterpreting something that someone else said repeatedly. So either he's obsessively trolling or he's received some serious head trauma since then.

Come one man, you're better than this. I used to respect you, for what little that's worth.

Look, this is basically what they're saying:

However, if at any point Number 2 dies, he will also be subject to the "No Pants" script. Basically, have IF statements check variables that are changed depending on how the players progress through the map, and teleport players to certain spots depending.

Gez said:

I don't understand what you're doing (what is a "WHILE script" even supposed to be, while isn't a script type, it's a flow control instruction) and honestly I don't think you understand what you're doing either.

welp, mistakes happen, by saying WHILE i mean a precise situation to run the teleport script .

Jaxxoon R said:

I swear to god he's been acting this dumb recently on purpose. This is the same guy that just a year ago apparently ported some Sonic X-treme .DEF files across format versions with little to no help. Almost every post of his now is just him misinterpreting something that someone else said repeatedly. So either he's obsessively trolling or he's received some serious head trauma since then.

I'm very serious here, i've been looking for this trick , but since it appears that WHILE won't work ,i'm just gonna use some Sector_SetDamage lines to damage the players on previous sections, making sure no one stays alive on prev sections .

This way they're definitely gonna die, the level won't be entirely about these sectors anyways .