Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Campy Humor?

From what I've seen of Doom4, it looks to have a rather 'serious' tone about it. The old Doom games were creepy and demonic, but there's pretty humorous lines throughout, and I'm wondering (but doubtful) if the new Doom will feature something similar.

"It stinks like rotten meat"

"Pain and gibbitude"

"Sit back with your milk and cookies"

And literally every ENDOOM screen, they're fucking hilarious. "We hope you have as much fun playing it as we had making it. If you don't, then something is really wrong with you and you're different and strange. All your friends think DOOM II is great."

That shit cracked me up when I first read it.. Even Doom3 had "cute" moments, like the Doomguy face on the magazine and the Turkey Puncher game. Do you guys think any of this humor will make it's way into the new Doom?

(This is a very, very minor point, it will really not affect my opinion of the game, I'm just curious what you guys think will be there or perhaps want to see there.)

I think every installment in the Doom series has had tongue in cheek humor. And going by the trailers for Doom 2016 (Doomguy bashing corpses face in retinal scan), I think they will continue the trend.

Doomkid said:

From what I've seen of Doom4, it looks to have a rather 'serious' tone about it.

What? New doom is hularious! Demons look, finishers, ridiculous guns and using dead bodes to open a door) I don't really see where new doom has seriouse tone) It is well aware of itself.

I know know either way, but

Doomkid said:

The old Doom games were creepy and demonic, but there's pretty humorous lines throughout,

I'm curious what humourous lines were in the original games. I can't bring any to mind.

AirRaid said:

I know know either way, but

I'm curious what humourous lines were in the original games. I can't bring any to mind.

The ones mentioned in the OP, like the "gibbitude" one. Though some stuff like messages when you quit the game I count as sort of a separate thing than the tone of the campaign.

This game looks like it's still having fun, not taking itself too seriously.

I know one!!! You got the chainsaw! Find some meat....

AHHHH FRESH MEAT! (sorry I had to reference the Butcher from Diablo. =3)

I think it's pretty obvious from the "HULK SMASH!" shot in the campaign trailer (of the marine slamming the poor sap's face into the thing), the over-the-top nature of the glory kills, and the cartoonish appearance of the cacodemons, pinkies and mancubus, that there's going to be a campy element.

GoatLord said:

I think it's pretty obvious from the "HULK SMASH!" shot in the campaign trailer (of the marine slamming the poor sap's face into the thing), the over-the-top nature of the glory kills, and the cartoonish appearance of the cacodemons, pinkies and mancubus, that there's going to be a campy element.

As long as the humor is kind of like Evil Dead 2....

They really should have that kind of vibe. IMHO it would be funny if they did.

After reading what you guys have said, I decided to check out further game footage (I've been trying to not watch TOO much for the sake of spoilers) but on second viewing it does indeed seem to be self-aware and over the toop, while not being "tryhard". I really like the tone.

AirRaid said:

You're trying to say you like DOS better than me, right?

I'd love to see the return of those kinds of quit messages, and as Doomzrules mentioned, the "find some meat!" when you pick up the chainsaw or the "oh, yes..." for the BFG and so forth. It doesn't have to be done in the same way, of course, but I think funny little lines like that add quite a bit of personality. Not to say that this game is lacking, of course - I'm quite excited for the release.

I thought how the mancubus looked after he was fed his own heart(?) was kinda funny, but that's not the kind of humor the classic games had, because they were verbal jokes while in this case it's about making the mancubus look silly before he dies.

So in my opinion, no, we haven't really seen any signs of the kind of humor you are refering to.

The Revanant tearing off the Marine's arm and beating him with it and the Marine ripping off the Pinky's fang and impaling its eye with it don't signal to me a game that takes itself overtly seriously. If anything, it's like the exact opposite of that 2011 trailer that people were calling Call of Doom. THAT took itself way too seriously, this is more like the Rise of the Triad remake than anything else.

The only kind of humour I would at least like to see are the "Are you sure?" message when closing the game, like the ones from Classic Doom, like "You know, this game has a chainsaw, right?" or "Press ESC to get the ultimate BFG mod!"

GoatLord said:

Honestly, when I saw that stuff in the previews all I could think of in my head is "This is the Doomguy from the Comic, just with a sock in it."

I hate it that everything 'needs' humor these days, everything has to be over the top and 'not take itself too seriously' or else 'cool people' will complain that it's trying to hard. That's why I'm already skeptical in regards to DOOM4.

MsKaye said:

Honestly, when I saw that stuff in the previews all I could think of in my head is "This is the Doomguy from the Comic, just with a sock in it."

He's slighly more pissed and neurotic this time because he can't speak :)

Touchdown said:

I hate it that everything 'needs' humor these days, everything has to be over the top and 'not take itself too seriously' or else 'cool people' will complain that it's trying to hard. That's why I'm already skeptical in regards to DOOM4.

A lot of generalization, strawman stuff, and general misplaced negativity there. I can enjoy a genuinely grimdark tone, but humor can be a good thing. Your post in six words could just be "humor is bad, it's for hipsters".

I don't see anybody saying the upcoming Deus Ex game needs to be funny, so saying "everything" is clearly not true.

Touchdown said:

In addition to the good points PsychoGoatee made, it's also nice to have consistency with this kind of stuff throughout a series. Are you really going to pretend the originals "took themselves seriously"? Did you dislike them for the (very minimal) humor they had? If the answer is no, then why is there any problem with me hoping for the same in Doom4?

The whole 'Mancubus being fed its heart before it burps and then explodes into gibs' and the over-the-top nature hints more at black comedy than anything strictly outright humorous. More than likely the story will take itself dead seriously and the humor is less 'hahaha goofy' and more 'goddamn I just blasted that zombie in half as his torso flew over a railing into the lava while flailing his arms wildly'.

We're not going to see a bunny's head on a stick while the music transitions from children's storybook to gloomy metal, but I imagine there will be plenty of snickers to be had.

PsychoGoatee said:

A lot of generalization, strawman stuff, and general misplaced negativity there. I can enjoy a genuinely grimdark tone, but humor can be a good thing. Your post in six words could just be "humor is bad, it's for hipsters".

I don't see anybody saying the upcoming Deus Ex game needs to be funny, so saying "everything" is clearly not true.

Way to jump into conclusions based on a single stupid statement. Also, holy crap, somebody said 'everything' and didn't mean literally everything? No way!

Doomkid said:

In addition to the good points PsychoGoatee made, it's also nice to have consistency with this kind of stuff throughout a series. Are you really going to pretend the originals "took themselves seriously"? Did you dislike them for the (very minimal) humor they had? If the answer is no, then why is there any problem with me hoping for the same in Doom4?

I made a comment on that subject in another thread where I said:

Touchdown said:

What I like about the posters is that there's a really good mix of disturbing / unsettling imagery and kind of silly 90s style phrases. I think that's one of the characteristics of DOOM, it's dark and realistic, not trying to be funny but at the same time there's this over-the-top flavour to it. It's not the DOOM Comic and it's also not full-blown realism. It's a combination of seriousness and violence with the fun factor, both in the right amounts. You are the hero and you destroy your enemies but it's not completely ludicrous.

Now somebody's going to say "but you said..." and of course my previous post in this thread was exaggerated because I'm annoyed at how people use to complain about games being 'too serious' as if being serious was a bad thing. It was more of a general statement not necesarilly directed at anyone here but it does highlight my concern that DOOM4 might be just too silly for my taste considering their desperate attempts to cater to the popular vision of what it should be.

To answer your question, I've always been on the side of kind of DOOM3 mentality in the sense that whatever silliness existed in the original game shouldn't necesarilly be kept going forward. It was a pioneer crawling out of the arcade years and I think some of its aspects should be left in the past where they belong.

Now, like I said in the thread I quoted, of course DOOM is not completely realistic. You're using a chainsaw as a melee weapon for crying out loud. But to me the line is very thin and getting the balance wrong can quickly derail the overall feel and vibe of the game. It's that moment when fun seriousness becomes goofy. For instance, it's very easy to turn violence from disturbing to ridiculous. Just overdo it and it stops being serious. And from what I've heard, that's exactly what they're doing. Pure badassery and stuff.

As always I'll wait for the final product before judging. It might click with me like "yeah, that's definitively DOOM". But it might also make me go "ok, that's just stupid".

DoomzRules said:

I just want Evil Dead II style humor. =3

There is a definite influence of Evil Dead II present in the Doom series. Chainsaw and shotguns, demons and the undead? For sure.

Touchdown said:

Way to jump into conclusions based on a single stupid statement. Also, holy crap, somebody said 'everything' and didn't mean literally everything? No way!

I'm not sure what you mean, I just replied to the opinion you posted. I just provided an example of something, I get that you don't literally mean everything, but I haven't really seen this same trend that you're complaining about. And saying people who hold these opinions you posit are 'cool people' does sound a bit like you have a strong opinion on it I guess.

You're saying some 'cool people' will complain if something is serious. You posted a commentary, I just replied to the ideas in it, what's the issue?

Piper Maru said:

I think every installment in the Doom series has had tongue in cheek humor. And going by the trailers for Doom 2016 (Doomguy bashing corpses face in retinal scan), I think they will continue the trend.

Oh god I hope they have lots of those, I laughed pretty hard at that one. I'm a sick bastard.

Wolfenstein The New Order had some pretty funny parts in it (to me), I stabbed an enemy in the back of the head while he was pissing, then dumped his head in the toilet and flushed it, followed by BJ saying "fuckin' Nazis". It was the most over the top kill I saw in that whole game and it cracked me up. I hope Doom has more of this, and we cant even feel bad AT ALL 'cause they're fucking demons!