Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sleepii

New snapmap image found on amazon

mistercow said:

Textures are pretty bad. But I guess you gotta tone stuff down if you want your game to run at 60 fps 100% of the time

It's worth noting that that screenshot as it is has some TERRIBLE jpeg compression artifacting, and the textures are probably not as bad as they look there.

Also having the Manc and the Caco next to each other like that really shows off the common design language they share. Look at the Eye/mouth areas.

Piper Maru said:

I agree. It's strange seeing people who adore the original Doom, that's over twenty years old complain about the graphics for Doom 2016. But everybody has their ways, I've never quite understood why people collect salt & pepper shakers, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

My guess is that the complainers simply want the new Doom to be so gosh-darned amazing at everything that it blows all and any competition out of the water so that it will be a huge success, so it will spawn sequels and more games that adopt this gameplay style.
That would perhaps be why they whinge and cry because it's not the perfection that would accomplish exactly that.

But I agree about the art style over graphics anyway - I haven't been impressed with graphics in games since the Macworld demo showed off the Doom3 (Idtech 4) engine back in 2002.
These days, everytime I see screenshots from a new FPS, my knee-jerk reaction is always: "Looks like Doom 3 with more polys, better textures, softer shadows, more light and bigger areas".
Essentially, FPS games look like increasingly more detailed CGI movies, which is fine, but it doesn't impress me anymore or blow my socks off.

Art style, now there's something that can still impress me and generally, Doom 2016 delivers a solid style in my opinion - nothing earth-shattering, but enough to make me happy :)

Baron looks cool and true to its original description. ("Tough as a dump truck and nearly as big, these Goliaths are the worst things on two legs since Tyrannosaurus rex.") Looks bigger and more threatening than the classic Baron.

Cacodemon and mancubus look vaguely retarded. I miss the Cheshire grin of the original cacodemon.

For the player models, I'm gonna assume they're not finished and using placeholder textures/materials, because yeesh that green armor looks like he fell in a bubble gum vat.

Spoiler

Looks just like the green armor, doesn't it?

LANEGRACABRA said:

Baron's stance looks like he's sneezing.

Maybe he just sneezed on the marine, and the green armor is just covered in hellsnot.

Gez said:

For the player models, I'm gonna assume they're not finished and using placeholder textures/materials, because yeesh that green armor looks like he fell in a bubble gum vat.

No those are customised models, possibly colourised for team play. Like someone said earlier the left one is probably the "Demon themed armour set" from the preorder bonus. There's a bunch of customisation for player models and weapons (especially in MP, probably in snapmap MP too) they've not really shown apparently.

Paint colours and logo patterns which "Can be applied to weapons or armour".

DMGUYDZ64 said:

They look like the ones from Doom 3 .

That's probably for the best, considering the Classic Hell-Knight is just a pale brown Baron of Hell. Good to have some differential, plus it shows that they respect all of the series.

MetroidJunkie said:

That's probably for the best, considering the Classic Hell-Knight is just a pale brown Baron of Hell. Good to have some differential, plus it shows that they respect all of the series.

I like the Doom 3 design for the Hellknight.

Though is it weird if when I look at Doom (2016) screenshots I keep thinking about Super Mario 3D World for some odd reason?

Specifically this one.

They (Hellknights from Doom 3) kinda remind me of Hammer Bros. for some odd reason...

You know what I think about the armor? Everything looks like everything. It's unavoidable. Accept it and move on.

DoomzRules said:

Though is it weird if when I look at Doom (2016) screenshots I keep thinking about Super Mario 3D World for some odd reason?

Specifically this one.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/DOOM-2-1280x760.jpg

They (Hellknights from Doom 3) kinda remind me of Hammer Bros. for some odd reason...

I reckon they look dope. Its not a 1:1 recreation of the DooM 3 Hellknight, I like the new "Skull" design for the head, they're also thinner and look more agile.

Wow, that Baron's huge. Too bad it doesn't have the green flaming claws like it did in the original... unless it only does that when it hurls its fireball from a distance?

GoatLord said:

You know what I think about the armor? Everything looks like everything. It's unavoidable. Accept it and move on.

Well, there's something we can all agree to. This IS a reboot after all...

Winged_Warrior said:

Theres something about that screenshot that strongly reminds me of E2M2...

Yeah it reminds me of the central chamber with all the Imps that you have to fight.

Oh and yeah it's not a 1:1 recreation of the Doom 3 Hellknight, CreamCheese, you are right about that.

It has more of a skull design to it, and it really reminds me of the Hammer Bros from Mario 3D World!

(Which reminds me, I need to pick up that game as soon as I can.)

HavoX said:

Wow, that Baron's huge. Too bad it doesn't have the green flaming claws like it did in the original... unless it only does that when it hurls its fireball from a distance?

It's probably more realistic if its hands aren't glowing with demonic acid (I'm guessing that's what it is?) all the time, otherwise it wouldn't be able to interact with things with its hands and, plus, it would be a waste of energy to just be radiating all the time. Major props to ID for their attention to detail with demonic acid hand realism. XD

MetroidJunkie said:

Yea, i think it's alright .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Yea, i think it's alright .

Yeah I actually prefer the Doom 3 Hellknight design to the Classic one actually. To me it looks more menacing and it really fits into the whole Hammer Bros. vibe that the devs wanted...

Fun fact: Did you know that the Hellknights and Barons of Hell are based off the Hammer Bros. and Fire Bros. from Mario Bros 3?

DoomzRules said:

Yeah it reminds me of the central chamber with all the Imps that you have to fight.

Oh and yeah it's not a 1:1 recreation of the Doom 3 Hellknight, CreamCheese, you are right about that.

It has more of a skull design to it, and it really reminds me of the Hammer Bros from Mario 3D World!

(Which reminds me, I need to pick up that game as soon as I can.)

Get it. Totally worth it. And I believe it's only $20 in the eShop now.

Anyway, I think the monsters look awesome in the new shot. I also feel like they used those 2 crazy looking armor sets to show off how diverse you can get with customization honestly. I think it'll be cool if we can get a shitload of armor add-ons and really make our character our own :D

AirRaid said:

It's worth noting that that screenshot as it is has some TERRIBLE jpeg compression artifacting, and the textures are probably not as bad as they look there.

This is a good point

The textures probably won't be new order bad but I'm not expecting much

At least it seems more pleasing on an aesthetic standpoint. Keep in mind, it initially looked like this:

So at least they bumped up the colors to make it more pleasing to the eye. Having a pleasing art style is arguably much more important to how good a game looks than the technical effects because games that focus on the latter tend to age more poorly than ones that focus on the former.

Those armors almost look like the Quake Live equivalent of "bright skins" without it looking completely retarded (like in Quake Live).

You guys can complain about the speculars on the normal mapping all you want, but remember how plastic and slimy everything looked in Doom 3. And yeah, art direction is more important than texture resolution and high fidelity lighting.

GoatLord said:

You guys can complain about the speculars on the normal mapping all you want, but remember how plastic and slimy everything looked in Doom 3. And yeah, art direction is more important than texture resolution and high fidelity lighting.

I think Doom 2016 art direction is fucking awesome. I like how they're not trying to go for realism. It kind of reminds me of Blizzard's cut scenes for Starcraft & Warcraft, very detailed, realistic but not trying to emulate real life. Gears of War's art direction definitely had that kind of mindset, and they did a good job, but I disliked the lack of color. Doom 2016's got the best of both worlds, IMO.

Edit:

Oh yeah, and like others have stated, this shit needs to run at 60FPS. And if it's a Doom game, you don't have time to stare at the damn walls (unless you're side strafing while humping them for secrets...lol) The textures look fine. Remember people, this game is supposed to be fast and non-stop!

DoomzRules said:

Specifically this one.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/DOOM-2-1280x760.jpg

Hmm lets do a comparison for the sake of it:

Doom 3:

Doom 2016:

Kind of reminds me of Alien/Xenomorphs, both in design, and the way they subtly changed the designs over time. I'm pissed they changed the imp's design, I liked the idea of the imps being scrawnier versions of the Hell Knights, but everyone else likes the new design for the imps so whatever :)

MetroidJunkie said:

At least it seems more pleasing on an aesthetic standpoint. Keep in mind, it initially looked like this:

http://i.imgur.com/fa5BofV.jpg

So at least they bumped up the colors to make it more pleasing to the eye. Having a pleasing art style is arguably much more important to how good a game looks than the technical effects because games that focus on the latter tend to age more poorly than ones that focus on the former.

I don't get it. What's wrong with it?

DooM_RO said:

I don't get it. What's wrong with it?

Not enough color saturation, part of the aesthetic of this new DooM is having everything clearly visible and vibrant, both as a matter of gameplay (secrets, pickups, enemies, etc. have to be managed) and aesthetic, it mimics the over the top Fire and Brimstone of 80s metal Hell.

CreamCheese said:

Not enough color saturation, part of the aesthetic of this new DooM is having everything clearly visible and vibrant, both as a matter of gameplay (secrets, pickups, enemies, etc. have to be managed) and aesthetic, it mimics the over the top Fire and Brimstone of 80s metal Hell.

Idk, looks fine to me, especially the molten metal and the orange light it casts. I don't like the new snapmap image though.

dsm said:

My guess is that the complainers simply want the new Doom to be so gosh-darned amazing at everything that it blows all and any competition out of the water so that it will be a huge success, so it will spawn sequels and more games that adopt this gameplay style.
That would perhaps be why they whinge and cry because it's not the perfection that would accomplish exactly that.

But I agree about the art style over graphics anyway - I haven't been impressed with graphics in games since the Macworld demo showed off the Doom3 (Idtech 4) engine back in 2002.
These days, everytime I see screenshots from a new FPS, my knee-jerk reaction is always: "Looks like Doom 3 with more polys, better textures, softer shadows, more light and bigger areas".
Essentially, FPS games look like increasingly more detailed CGI movies, which is fine, but it doesn't impress me anymore or blow my socks off.

Art style, now there's something that can still impress me and generally, Doom 2016 delivers a solid style in my opinion - nothing earth-shattering, but enough to make me happy :)

This is exactly how I feel. Thing is, NO game can ever have the influence of Doom again.

I feel like I need to post this, since a lot of people are not getting it. Effortpost incoming.

MetroidJunkie said:

CreamCheese said:

Doom 2016:

The top one gets posted as an example of how the game used to be all washed out and colourless, and then another more recent picture gets posted which is almost entirely grey and flat. And then there's the pic in the OP of this thread, all vibrant and brightly coloured.

Here's the thing - I fully expect all three of these scenarios to appear in the final game. In the First one, there's lots of yellow/orange ambient light. There's molten metal and lava everywhere, casting the entire map with a yellowish tinge. This is not a "pissfilter", or low saturation of colour in general, it's just the area of the game is casting it's own particular light.

Second image, Now we're in the high tech UAC area, lots of white/grey concrete, very hitech looking, very clean, white lighting. Couple that with a couple of grey coloured enemies and boom, really flat bland looking image. The horrendous depth-of-field doesnt help by blurring out any colour in the background.

And then there's the snapmap image in the OP. Lot's of brightly coloured things in neutral ambient light, close to the camera. The makeup of this image promotes the brightly coloured aspect of the game. Shoves it in your face, really.

That's the thing with a realistic lighting model - you will not get uniform looking screenshots of different locations, because the ambient light and local conditions like haze in the map will give you drastically different results.

AirRaid said:

Here's the thing - I fully expect all three of these scenarios to appear in the final game. In the First one, there's lots of yellow/orange ambient light. There's molten metal and lava everywhere, casting the entire map with a yellowish tinge. This is not a "pissfilter", or low saturation of colour in general, it's just the area of the game is casting it's own particular light.

Even despite the artifacting on the op image, it's pretty clear the Hell Armor is meant to be "smooth," if you can even call it that, in a chitin kind of way like the carapace armor on the demons.