Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

-dup 2 and -extratics in DosBox? (Fixed by xttl - thanks!)

Doomkid said:

It has to do with mouse control I believe. Several of my buddies can't get their mouse control "sweet spot" in Choco, for some reason.

That is very puzzling, as DOSBox uses the exact same SDL hardware abstraction library that Chocolate Doom uses.

Of course, there is more indirection going on with DOSBox - if I were to hazard a guess, I suppose that the SDL events are picked up by a faux "Mouse Driver" in the DOS environment, which Doom can then tap via interrupt 0x33 like a normal DOS mouse. I wonder how different DOS Doom's mouse routines are compared to the 1.10 source release...

Updated the driver again (links for binary and source are still the same as on first page):

- ticdup range is now 1-5
- will give an error message if more than one node tries to request the same player number
- will also give an error message now if some nodes tried to use automatic player number assignment and some did not (could cause overlapping player numbers)
- will give an error message if all nodes aren't using the same ticdup setting
- some minor text / output changes
- EXE is now compressed with UPX

XCOPY said:

Maybe they forgot to set "acceleration" to 1, in the setup?

Could well be a factor. On my setup Chocolate Doom with acceleration 1 is _exactly_ the same sensitivity as DOOM2.EXE in Dosbox (within a reasonable margin of error, measured in cm/360). The main noticeable difference for me is the much greater input delay due to Dosbox's nature as an x86 emulator.

The problem for me in chocolate doom is that when i swipe my mouse fast at low sensitivity it hits a "Speed cap" where it wont go faster no matter what i do, i will have to post a video on youtube showing my problem.

I know i do have acceleration set to 1 in settings and that doesnt matter, because there is a speed cap even with acceleration on!

Look what I found http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames/utils/network/master.txt

"what I have done is allowed for a "master" and "slave" relationship between the network nodes. One player declares themself the "master" and the other players are "slaves" at startup. The "master's" command line arguments are passed along to all the slaves; in this way, all the nodes invoke DOOM with the same command line arguments."

a new parameter is included there, too:

"-dehack will launch the DEHACKED program to patch DOOM prior to launching DOOM.
In this way, everyone plays with the same version of the DOOM executable. The
parameter following -dehack is the patch file for DEHACKED to load (i.e.,
`IPXSETUP -dehack fire.deh' will spawn the command `DEHACKED -load fire.deh'"

The source code is included in the file http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames/utils/network/master.zip

xttl, would it be hard to merge these features into the code and add -deutex too?

EDIT: -dehack does not seem to be passed to all nodes.

I would love it if that feature was added to Chocolate/Crispy. I thought that this feature was listed as a request in the Chocolate Doom githubs bug report session, but I can't find that request anywhere.

Hmmm, ive heard of this master slave ipx driver before although, have never tried.

I find ipxsetup to be good enough

xttl's ipxsetup is, still, the best one as the -dup and -extratic seems fixed and does not seem to be passed to all nodes, along with -dehack.

Can anyone reupload @xttl's IPXSETUP and its source code please? It should be uploaded somewhere more permanent (e.g.: GitHub).

Hi,

I've created a Doom2 game dll for Game Connector.

Which uses DosBox IPX emulation and xttl's new IPXSETUP.exe.

I haven't publicly released the dll as of yet, but it won't be long.

All that will be required is that you own Doom2. and of course all the above.

Thanks xttl ! 

I don't think it would have been possible without you, well possible but not functioning as well as it is now! :)

Cheers!

So just to be clear, does ipxsetup.exe have to be replaced with xttl's version by ALL players in order to work?

Edited by OpenRift

It does, afaik - I don’t know the technical details but it sends commands to the Doom EXE prior to launch so a different EXE that sends inconsistent commands will likely result in issues somewhere along the way. I just keep a backup of the original, but this updated version is totally worth it for any parties who want to play via DOS(box)! I couldn’t manage a playable connection without it.