Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doommer

Compare Doom 3 To Classic Doom

Lets compare Doom 3 , RoE & The Lost Missions with the classic doom!

Note : I don't know this thread existed before or not...

What did you guys like from Doom 3 ?

What disappointed you ?

Everything you think !

For me :

Disappointments :

1. Slow reloading of some of the weapons like Pistol , Shotgun & Super Shotgun
2. The game was confusing , because of no guide for going to new locations
3. Cyberdemon wasn't Cyberdemon !
4. Some classic monsters were not present like barons , archnortons & Spider masterminds!

What I liked :

1. The game wasn't easy like the classic doom specially Doom I !
2. More monsters !
3. More Gore !
4. More weapons !
5. Removed Common Ammo
6. You weren't completely alone !

These are what came in my mind...

Share your opinions ! :D

This is sort of a re-worded thread for "What did you like and not like about Doom 3?" but camouflaged with "Compare the Dooms". But I will bite.

Likes of Doom 3:
- Unique and wicked looking creature designs. The Hellknight and Pinky in particular
- The fear factor, until it got really old
- Interesting form of interactive panels
- The gory cut scenes
- Great graphics and running machinery

Dislikes of Doom 3:
- Guns were boring, the satisfaction of firing weapons weren't there like in the original Dooms
- Very repetitive Traps and monster spawns and techmap
- No Spider Mastermind or Arachnotrons
- Hell wasn't gory or long enough
- The game was a tad too dark
- Archvile was underwhelming
- Not a fan of the Lost Soul or Cacodemon design

I liked everything about Doom 3 except the repeatitive level feel .. and... theresa's fucking flying heads that i can't even call lost souls .

Chezza said:

This is sort of a re-worded thread for "What did you like and not like about Doom 3?" but camouflaged with "Compare the Dooms". But I will bite.

Where is that thread ?

Chezza said:

- Guns were boring, the satisfaction of firing weapons weren't there like in the original Dooms

Yeah , i've always hated the slow rate of fire for the plasma gun.

Chezza said:

- Very repetitive Traps and monster spawns and techmap
- No Spider Mastermind or Arachnotrons
- Hell wasn't gory or long enough
- The game was a tad too dark
- Archvile was underwhelming
- Not a fan of the Lost Soul or Cacodemon design

Yeah ,

Incomplete game with a not good gameplay...
Hell wasn't gory like in Doom I & II !
I never expected that thing was a cacodemon...
Lost soul in RoE was more Lost Soul...

Why id did a bad design about the Cacodemon , Lost Soul , Arch-Vile , etc ?

But i believe :

id had to spend more time on Doom 3 to be more completed and more Doom...

They really shouldn't be compared, because they are two very different games. Doom 3 is a fantastic survival sci-fi horror while classic Doom is a mixture of all sorts of different things. Speed, horror, violence, black comedy, cartoonish aesthetics, etc. So very different! But each awesome in their own way. At least in my opinion.

I would've liked to see more Hell levels, Hell is an important part of Doom's essence, one Single Hell level isn't enough.

It's cool and all... but to be honest I sorta prefer Doom 64 to Doom 3. But then again that's just personal taste. As for Classic Doom? I always found The Ultimate Doom to be better than Doom 2. A bit of a controversial opinion, but maybe that's just me. =P

I try to compare both games against the background of their time, so better graphics, being original or pure nostalgia doesn't count...

What Doom 3 did better than classic Doom:

- Tells a story through PDA messages, voice logs, dialogues and small cutscenes.
- Excellent use of ambient sound and visual design to create atmosphere (classic Doom also in a way did this, but often in a haphazard and random way).
- Scarier and more serious monster designs.
- More monster variety.
- A bigger and better balanced aresenal (except the shotgun).
- Takes the Mars setting more serious and introduces the ancient martian civilisation to the mix.
- Interactive stuff and some elaborate puzzles.

What classic Doom did better:

- Fast player speed, more action-oriented gameplay, including the possibility of monster infighting.
- Realised different ways of non-linear level design.
- Red, blue and yellow keycards as a simple, but very effective way of seperating the level space into subdivisions and giving the player clear objectives how to progress. Level space gains puzzle qualities with the use of keycard objectives (Doom 3 also tried that in a degree, but in a much more self-restricting way).
- Automap function.
- More and better secrets.
- Cooler power-ups.

Doom 3 was innovate game. I can't compare Doom 3 to classic Doom by only one thing - classic Doom was a father of FPS games, true masterpiece in singleplayer and multiplayer. As for me, Doom 3 isn't looks like finished game.

Pros:

- atmosphere
- top graphics on date
- good art design for reload of franchise
- great potential for co-op (it's shame Doom 3 has no co-op, thanks mod makers for co-op mod)
- good replayability
- innovate idea with pads

Cons:

- broken multiplayer
- sometimes game feels like too dark
- corridors, corrdiors, corridors, hell isn't long enough

Imps and zombie soldiers move a lot faster in Doom 3 than in Doom 1 and 2. Interestingly, revenants and arch-viles are the opposite.

I missed pain elementals that spit lost souls.

Plasma gun and BFG share ammo in Doom 1 and 2, but use different ones in Doom 3. I guess they didn't want you to have too much BFG ammo and thus become overpowering.

I missed baron of hell, the tougher version of hell knight.

I prefer the fat chaingun dude in Doom 1 and 2 instead of the skinny chaingun "sarge" in Doom 3.

I LOVE Doom 3's spiders that come in swarms -- that's about the only thing that does. Fighting hordes of monsters is Doom 1 and 2's trademark, and we don't really get that in 3.

All the boss monsters in Doom 3 are lame, as in nothing memorable. I would rather fight cyberdemon every time.

Simple, DOOM 3 was more of a graphics showcase then a true DOOM game, and the Classic DOOM games are perfect the way they are.

I enjoyed DOOM 3, but I wouldn't call It a DOOM game.

Doom 3 Pros:
-Great visuals and lighting for 2004, aside from the low-poly pointy heads.
-Good atmospheric sound direction.
-Some cool new designs for the monsters. I actually like the rocket powered flying head as the lost soul.
-Plasma Rifle sounded great, especially the reload sound.
-Lengthy single player campaign compared to other big FPS that year. Took me twice as long to play through than Half-Life 2 for instance.

Cons:
-Too dark and the flashlight mechanic was stupid. Hence all the duct tape jokes.
-Too much grey, metallic techbase.
-Weapons sounded weak and flaccid compared to Trent's work in the alpha. His enemy sounds were also better.
-Shotgun was a trash weapon. Absurdly large spread which made it useless aside form point blank shots.
-Silly monster closets as jump scares in a realistic setting. It worked in the classic games because of the abstract level design, but here you have realistic environments and yet there are still sections in walls where monsters are just chilling.
-Lame boss fights. I guess the Guardian and Sabaoth weren't too bad but the Cyber fight was a real letdown.
-I general the gameplay and gunplay was just not as well balanced as the classic games and not nearly as fun. None of the monsters were particularly threatening either, came in low numbers and had stupid AI which made the difficulty quite low.

rileymartin said:

-Shotgun was a trash weapon. Absurdly large spread which made it useless aside form point blank shots.

Doom 3's shotgun is so overpowered that it breaks the game and you barely need to use anything else for the majority of encounters until the post-Hell levels.

Disappointments:
Monsters come from nowhere
Bull Demons ram you like fucks
The skeleton hang like fuck when hit hard
Some monsters are replaced with dumb ones
Goodnesss:
Good graphics
Good story
for horror athmosphere,the ambience is fantastic
HUDs everywhere,Portable device in-game
Full-Motion video textures
Nice dialogue
good unlockables

Doom 3 did one thing right and that was the flashlight. Then they fucked it all up and now it's just a piece of shit. But a piece of shit I still like to play.

One of the things that most disapointed me in Doom 3 was the enemies(except the imp), their visuals were weird, the way they died(the hell enemies would burn and the humans would just evaporate)was bad and none of them(except the imp, again) resembled demons and what they were suposed to resemble, the weapons were also an issue, mainly the shotgun that is only usefull at point-blank range(and not even than), and the others didn't have the impact they had in the originals.

Now the things i like were the levels, the lightning, and the plot, and that is it...

Doom 3 focused more on art than Doom 2. But it's Doom 2 which has more variety. Most of Doom 3 is all about getting close range to monsters who have to be killed asap (otherwise they're too noisy and aggressive). Doom 2 allows more scenarios than that, unless you do changes to the Doom 3 monster AI. So in the end this means it's easier to design a Doom 2 map, whereas Doom 3 kinda requires you to think something similar to vanilla. Still, if you got the sounds and textures right, it will look and feel fantastic.