Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xblade

Fresh off the presses: Multiplayer modes revealed

Apart from that soul thingy (which is nothing new), the Freeze Tag and the Warpath Mode sound cool. Something new and refreshing! At least I haven't seen anything quite like Warpath in any other game yet.

tuo said:

Apart from that soul thingy (which is nothing new), the Freeze Tag and the Warpath Mode sound cool. Something new and refreshing! At least I haven't seen anything quite like Warpath in any other game yet.

Freeze Tag is a mode already available in Quake Live. Nonetheless, I'm digging this. :D

So... they forgot regular ol' deathmatch? If that's there too it would be seven modes, and it says six modes.

And if soul harvest is a team mode, that would mean there aren't any non-team modes.

Could be they mean six non-standard and noteworthy modes. Considering they flat-out mentioned deathmatch and SnapMap co-op before, it could be that they don't feel like they need to bring them up along with TDM and such.

Though I'm still doubting in-built CTF. They flat-out made a version of King of the Hill that could work on any map, and considering we've only seen maps fitting for deathmatch-styled spawn anywhere type modes ...

Edit: Actually, these might be the ladder modes. FFA isn't really ladder-worthy in a FPS, especially compared to team modes. So the spotlight they're putting on these could hint at having built-in ranked play, with these being the modes that'll be available for ranked on launch.

So what are the remaining two modes not shown in the video? TDM was tested in the alpha so that's one. What about the last one?

Patrol1985 said:

So what are the remaining two modes not shown in the video? TDM was tested in the alpha so that's one. What about the last one?

Domination and Clan Arena - they're in the video, they just go by really quickly.

tuo said:

Soul Harvest is literally Kill Confirmed. Warpath is Headquarters/Hardpoint from CoD, only the capture point moves fluidly instead of switching between several fixed locations. A good change, should be fun.

Freeze Tag is the one I haven't seen anything similar to.

AirRaid said:

Soul Harvest is literally Kill Confirmed. Warpath is Headquarters/Hardpoint from CoD, only the capture point moves fluidly instead of switching between several fixed locations. A good change, should be fun.

Freeze Tag is in Quake 3.

Freezetag was my favorite mode in Quake 3, awesome to see it return as an official mode. The only gripe I have, and I'm basing this off the few seconds shown, is I wish there was a bit more visual feedback when they are frozen; the ice is a bit too translucent and it was slightly hard to tell who was frozen. Probably will take a match to get used to though, so whatever.
Warpath looks pretty great. I've never been one to play the domination modes too much, but that looks like enough of a spin to make it fresh.
I'm also glad so much multiplayer stuff is being shown, keep the singleplayer fresh.

AirRaid said:

hardpoint = domination. freezetag = from quakelive (previous id title)

So is Soul Harvest more like Kill Confirmed and the second you grab a soul it counts as a point, or is it like Harvester from Quake 3 Team Arena where you had a collection of skulls and had to drop them off at the enemy base to collect points?
I always liked the Team Arena version; it made it hectic when you chased/you were the guy with a long tail of skulls dragging behind.

Warpath looks really fun and refreshing. Kind of sad there's no mention of a dedicated CTF mode given how popular it is within the current Doom community.

sleepii said:

hardpoint = domination. freezetag = from quakelive (previous id title)

Hardpoint is seperate from Domination. In Dom, you have several (usually three) capture points, teams accrue score for holding each point, up to a score limit or a time limit. Hardpoint has one single capture area which teams fight for control of. This area is on a time limit and when the timer runs out another capture point will spawn elsewhere, and the teams must relocate and fight for the new area.

I haven't played too much Q3 so it makes sense I hadn't played freeze tag, my mistake.

AirRaid said:

Soul Harvest is literally Kill Confirmed.

It has a bit of a twist to it, because of the Demon Rune. I recommend reading this official blog post:
https://bethesda.net/?utm_source=DOOM_modes&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=03142016-AutomatronTrailer2#en/events/game/doom-multiplayer-modes-revealed/2016/03/21/92

"But there’s more to Soul Harvest than kill-and-collect. A demon rune will appear where the first player is killed, and this demon power-up has no time limit. In addition to the increased threat demons always bring, any enemy players killed by a demon drop two souls to claim instead of the usual one. And if you manage to slay a demon? You have the opportunity to pick up the five souls it leaves behind – and perhaps become the demon yourself."

EDIT: Sorry, someone already posted that URL...
EDIT 2: Also, thank you Bathesda/ID for not showing another video with just glory kills. Finally, some action that is actually how a player would play.

i seriously doubt the game launches without a standard FFA Deathmatch mode, but it would be one of the worst things to show off since every game does it. I'd hold on a bit longer before those of you who are worried assume there is no FFA DM.

The Civ said:

No CTF, Free For All, or Instagib?
Damn. That kind of sucks.

My thoughts exactly. These are classic MP modes.

MrDeAD1313 said:

I bet they add more game modes later on.

I wouldn't. I assume the game is in polish mode by now.

Technician said:

I wouldn't. I assume the game is in polish mode by now.

They literally say that these are the game modes "on launch." I highly doubt there won't be extras patched in.