Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EdwunclerIII

most emotional parts of Doom 64?

For me, it would either be the music of MAP 08: Final Outpost, or the dark
atmosphere. The music for Final Outpost is just- sad and cold sounding. I can't help but shed a tear when I hear it. The darkness gives you the sense of loneliness and the knowledge of you being the only human left on the face of Mars (or wherever you are). So, tell me the things that unsettle you or make you emotional in DooM 64...

(if you want to listen to final outpost music, just look on youtube and listen to at least a quarter of it.)

Music in Map 12 is even more unsettling. A haunting orchestral track mixed with babies' moans. The first time I heard it I was creeped out.

I cried uncontrollably when the space marine decided to stay in hell to ensure that no demon ever rises again. I couldn't sleep for a week after that I was so depressed and have never fully recovered since.

Another act of courage from Doomguy. He decided to never turn his back towards hell and to always be able to prevent another invasion.

Many disturbing parts of the game. The ambiance rules. First thing that jumps to mind to me is a part in Dark Citadel where you can look out a window into space. Very lonely and helpless feelings. This is why I love space-horror as a sub-genre. No running next door for help. Help is a billion miles away.

Face23785 said:

Many disturbing parts of the game. The ambiance rules. First thing that jumps to mind to me is a part in Dark Citadel where you can look out a window into space. Very lonely and helpless feelings. This is why I love space-horror as a sub-genre. No running next door for help. Help is a billion miles away.

So true...

It's a very depressing game. It's quite a wonder they maintained the original Doom's fast-pace action with such a dreary ambient score combined with dark sinister art.

I actually felt it appropriate our hero stays in hell to keep it in check. This is my head-canon ending to the series.

I find Even Simplier map's music to be quite disturbing and the fact that there are cages with human flesh on them.
Also the decorations in some maps later on, such as human torsos on spikes and heads as well.

Technician said:

It's a very depressing game. It's quite a wonder they maintained the original Doom's fast-pace action with such a dreary ambient score combined with dark sinister art.

I actually felt it appropriate our hero stays in hell to keep it in check. This is my head-canon ending to the series.

Couldnt have said it any better.

Final Doom had an entertaining one where it mentioned telling your grandson to bury you with your rocket launcher so you can go back and perform one last cleanup.

Staging Area, Terraformer, Dark Citadel, Burnt Offerings, The Bleeding...terrifying music and memorable layouts, not to mention the names of the maps alone are spine chilling. There's a sense of hopelessness throughout the game as a whole. It's a very emotional overall experience because it's so damn unsettling. You enjoy playing, but can't wait to get the hell out of dodge because the atmosphere is so threatening and morbid.

I could best describe D64's atmosphere as being 'suffocating' and 'oppressive' throughout the game. Only the first 10 levels or so were set in a base/facility whereas the rest was in hell, or something equivalent to it. It's pretty interesting how, like Doom 3, that D64 got more popular within the last few years as opposed to their debut.

In the Void is a beautiful level. As in, beautiful spooky. It's like entering the Twilight Zone (not to be confused with the Doom II level of the same name. I mean, it's like you're in this structure in the middle of nothingness, and beyond the fog there's just...nothing. The world is gone. But where you are, there are still monsters there to chase you around. It really takes you to another place and time.

It's fantastic, that and Watch Your Step. Those maps really make you feel like you're alone on some desolate otherworldly place...

I don't know why, but there's a hallway in Dark Citadel where there's an animated gib is sitting, just twitching all on its own. It felt so desolate...the carelessness with which someone's entrails were discarded like so much refuse was disheartening.

I remember when I was a child I found Map 12 Alter of Pain's music track unnerving with the baby crying sounds.

Job said:

I don't know why, but there's a hallway in Dark Citadel where there's an animated gib is sitting, just twitching all on its own. It felt so desolate...the carelessness with which someone's entrails were discarded like so much refuse was disheartening.

I actually got chills reading that. Does anybody know what the hell that's supposed to be? As a kid I thought it was some malformed dying baby. It's so vague you don't really know what to think. There's something about the idea of a pile of viscera that's twitching...freaky shit.

The ending, I cried...
The only other sad video game ending that made me cry was the one of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness.
Just Kidding...

Doom 64 has many, many memorable and unsettling levels. Alpha Quadrant, Final Outpost, Dark Citadel, Watch Your Step, Breakdown, Pitfalls.

Midway really outdid themselves here!

Darklordrobert said:

Midway really outdid themselves here!

I'm surprised they invested so much time and money into a game that was outdated for the time. Thank God they did. Maybe it was a lack of budget that hindered them from creating a new 3D engine that would have sucked.

GoatLord said:

I actually got chills reading that. Does anybody know what the hell that's supposed to be? As a kid I thought it was some malformed dying baby. It's so vague you don't really know what to think. There's something about the idea of a pile of viscera that's twitching...freaky shit.

I've actually just finished Map 12, so now I'm really curious about this thing. Is it only on Map 13?

Also, I remember there is giant room in Alpha Quadrant (Map 6), where you can fall into the pitch black bottom of that room and get eaten by spectres. That's a scary death!

ChekaAgent said:

I've actually just finished Map 12, so now I'm really curious about this thing. Is it only on Map 13?

Also, I remember there is giant room in Alpha Quadrant (Map 6), where you can fall into the pitch black bottom of that room and get eaten by spectres. That's a scary death!

IIRC, there is an identical gib in a number of maps, including near the beginning of The Spiral. I simply had a strong visual association with the one in Dark Citadel, which is why I mentioned it.

GoatLord said:

Official story from the manual:
"A single entity with vast rejuvenation powers, masked by the extreme radiation levels, escaped detection. In its crippled state, it systematically altered decaying dead carnage back into corrupted living tissue."
IMO this is the most reasonable explanation, even small chunks of guts and flesh were brought back to life.

Winged_Warrior said:

Official story from the manual:
"A single entity with vast rejuvenation powers, masked by the extreme radiation levels, escaped detection. In its crippled state, it systematically altered decaying dead carnage back into corrupted living tissue."
IMO this is the most reasonable explanation, even small chunks of guts and flesh were brought back to life.

I hadn't considered that possibility, but I find it very intriguing. Cool!

ChekaAgent said:

I remember that way too vividly. I have a fear of that room.

Technician said:

I'm surprised they invested so much time and money into a game that was outdated for the time. Thank God they did. Maybe it was a lack of budget that hindered them from creating a new 3D engine that would have sucked.

They were even planning on doing a Doom 64 2 but due to poor sales and fully 3D FPS games really hitting their stride it obviously fell through (Which is a shame, i would of LOVED another 32 levels with even more hellish atmosphere)
The whole game is terrific but my 2 favorite levels have to be Dark Citadel and Breakdown, Amazing levels with amazing music/atmosphere.
I wish they would of done more with the Void style, so many creative things could of been implemented (Level geometry disappearing and reappearing in strange ways for one)
And yeah having 2 thirds of the game be entirely set in hell really added to the ambience in general, in most Doom games it's the opposite way round (And even less so in Doom 3, lucky to get 30 mins in hell lol)

Technician said:

DooM may have been outdated at the time, but DooM will never be outdated in our hearts...

Turok 2 aged considerably good. I wish we'd get a PC port of that title. The controller is what truly fucks over these early console FPS.