Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skittles

Looking for feedback - Operation Raccoon (WIP)

Hello,

I have 4 maps which I have been working on lately that I would like some feedback on. The first 3 are older maps which I originally made 4 years ago but recently updated them which were mainly texture alignments but MAP02 received significant changes. The 4th is a new map that I have worked on over the last 2 weeks. All maps can be beaten with a pistol start.

MAP01 - Shoreline Base (Video does this map more justice.)

MAP02 - Central Facilities

MAP03 - Refined Disaster

MAP04 - Distribution Centre

Imgur Album with more images here.

Youtube videos of a play through of each level:
MAP01 - Shoreline Base
MAP02 - Central Facilities
MAP03 - Refined Disaster
MAP04 - Distribution Centre

Download

Does it need ZDoom, or will it work in Boom or a limit-removing port even?

plums said:

Does it need ZDoom, or will it work in Boom or a limit-removing port even?

It runs in ZDoom 2.7.1 which isn't the newest version and it runs properly (3d slopes and floors show up correctly). Only issue I saw was that on MAP04 I used coloured lighting which didn't display correctly in ZDoom (turned random parts of the textures blue). Other than that it runs fine.

I made the newest map in the wad with GZDoom builder and tested it with GZDoom which ran the map correctly.

I have not tested it with other ports so I don't know if it will work with them.

Thanks. Sloped floors means ZDoom-based ports only. I'll give it a go soon.

FDAs for Maps 2-4, recorded in ZDoom 2.8.1. You probably need to upgrade from 2.7.1 if you want to watch them.

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1578013

I'm playing super sloppy tonight so you get a few hilarously avoidable deaths off of me. I also exit Map 4 early by mistake, it was the best one so I might go back and play it normally though.

Map 1 runs super slooooow for me for some reason, it's unplayable. Tested in ZD 2.8.1, and Zan 2.11 in GL mode, so it's not a software vs hardware rendering thing. I took a quick peek at it in GZDB but couldn't find any obvious culprits.

(edit: MAP01 only is just in normal Doom format, so I tried it in GLBoom+ and it mostly worked, apart from a few ZDoomisms. Still not sure what the problem is for ZDoom for me. Anyhow it was a nice little map, I think I liked it the best of the first 3 for whatever reason, it seemed a bit more focused maybe? Revenant trap with the blue armour was good, good use of space to make those enemies just a little more dangerous.)

So maps 2 and 3 were pretty good but did not particularly stand out, fairly simple and straightforward and no real gameplay faults. A few technical things like lifts out of slime pits being one-use only, and the exit in map 3 not actually needing a key. It should all be obvious if you watch the demos, if you can't/don't want to I'll sum up another time though. Also why the same music for both?

Map 4 was much cooler, my favourite kind of ZDoom map where you use things like 3D floors and slopes while still feeling Doomy and not going crazy on the custom resources, in fact not using any here. Also the gameplay was more challenging and engaging and maybe woke me up a bit? Beyond that the map just seems more intelligently constructed and I think it's quite obvious that it's a lot newer than the others. Not too sure what else to say about it, apart from good job.

About 2/3rds of the way in I try straferunning to the exit and accidentally succeed before I can put the brakes on, oops. Maybe that's an intentional shortcut which is fine, I just wanted to see if it's possible. I do kill the cyberdemon with mostly shells from a pretty safe spot in the water, it takes most of my ammo though, so maybe give the player a few less shells in the keyed-off areas and that's not such a tempting option.

I figured out the problem with MAP01, the scrolling compblue linedefs with type 254 are supposed to have a unique tag. With tag 0 ZDoom is maybe looking at all the linedefs with tag 0, which is most of them, to figure out how fast to scroll, and my old PC can't keep up. Just give those lines a new tag and it'll work fine.

Thank you for playing the map.

plums said:

Map 1 runs super slooooow for me for some reason, it's unplayable. Tested in ZD 2.8.1, and Zan 2.11 in GL mode, so it's not a software vs hardware rendering thing. I took a quick peek at it in GZDB but couldn't find any obvious culprits.

(edit: MAP01 only is just in normal Doom format, so I tried it in GLBoom+ and it mostly worked, apart from a few ZDoomisms. Still not sure what the problem is for ZDoom for me. Anyhow it was a nice little map, I think I liked it the best of the first 3 for whatever reason, it seemed a bit more focused maybe? Revenant trap with the blue armour was good, good use of space to make those enemies just a little more dangerous.)

That is odd that it runs so slow. I ran it in ZDoom and I was getting between 140 and 200 fps so I don't know if it is the map

plums said:

So maps 2 and 3 were pretty good but did not particularly stand out, fairly simple and straightforward and no real gameplay faults. A few technical things like lifts out of slime pits being one-use only, and the exit in map 3 not actually needing a key. It should all be obvious if you watch the demos, if you can't/don't want to I'll sum up another time though. Also why the same music for both?

Quickly fixed those 2 issues. I kept missing checking the 'repeatable action' option for line defs all the during the making of the maps. I will have a look through your demos and fix any issues I see during it. I didn't even notice that 2 of the maps run the same music. I will need to change the music of one of them.

plums said:

Map 4 was much cooler, my favourite kind of ZDoom map where you use things like 3D floors and slopes while still feeling Doomy and not going crazy on the custom resources, in fact not using any here. Also the gameplay was more challenging and engaging and maybe woke me up a bit? Beyond that the map just seems more intelligently constructed and I think it's quite obvious that it's a lot newer than the others. Not too sure what else to say about it, apart from good job.

Thanks, maps 1-3 were originally made 4 years ago and recently updated while map04 was brand new (started on it about 10 days ago). I put a lot more thought into it that I have my older maps since it was the first map I had made with 3d slopes and floors.

There are 2 custom textures in that map but both are just edited Doom textures (COMPSTA1 + SILVER1) where I just added little animated bits to it. I made them because I kept trying to make my own custom textures but could never make anything that I felt could fit in with the existing doom assets so I just edited existing textures.

plums said:

About 2/3rds of the way in I try straferunning to the exit and accidentally succeed before I can put the brakes on, oops. Maybe that's an intentional shortcut which is fine, I just wanted to see if it's possible. I do kill the cyberdemon with mostly shells from a pretty safe spot in the water, it takes most of my ammo though, so maybe give the player a few less shells in the keyed-off areas and that's not such a tempting option.

That was intended to be a rocket jump type shortcut but I forgot that people can actually jump in ZDoom so I will probably just remove that position where the arachnotron is or revert to the way it was earlier in the map's development. It kept feeling out of place to me when I first changed it. It used to look like this:

I will probably drop the amount of shotgun shells on the map. Ammo and health balance always difficult when I have been the only one playing the map. Killing the cyberdemon from the water wasn't one of the tactics I envisioned on this map so I will need to keep that in mind in the future.

I figured out the problem with MAP01, the scrolling compblue linedefs with type 254 are supposed to have a unique tag. With tag 0 ZDoom is maybe looking at all the linedefs with tag 0, which is most of them, to figure out how fast to scroll, and my old PC can't keep up. Just give those lines a new tag and it'll work fine.

Ok, I gave that one a tag so hopefully it will run better with older machines. Can't really test to see if there is a difference since my machine can get fps of 160+ on that map and in the room where the linedefs are. Here is a Download of the change so hopefully it runs better. Also fixed the other minor issues you mentioned (slime lift and MAP03 exit).

plums said:

Sloped floors means ZDoom-based ports only.

There are other sourceports that support slopes, Vavoom, Eternity, EDGE .