Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomMarine82

DOOM E1M1 on UE4

Those textures in the middle room (forgot how they're named) look like they're made of rubber

While it looks ok, the textures look too bright for Doom. I've always seen it as being gritty. That second picture is a perfect example: way too green.

Something just seems "off" or wrong about the lighting. I don't know if it's too bright, but there's definitely too much glow. Kind of hurts my eyes just looking at it. And I agree with PseudoGold - it looks too clean and lacks the grit of the original game. Too polished, if that makes sense.

GoatLord said:

Just not impressed by awkward, chunky geometry with nice textures and lighting.

Same exact issues with that remake those other guys were doing in Doom 3.

GoatLord said:

Just not impressed by awkward, chunky geometry with nice textures and lighting.

That's what I said about that Doom 3 mod and nobody gave a hot shit. Can't say I really understand the point.

This falls straight into the uncanny valley between low and high definition. The lighting and geometry fidelity are mismatched and the texture quality is questionable at best.

[EDIT] Thinking on it a bit, it's probably the texturing that's throwing me off the most. Screenshot #3 with the lighting might work well if the textures were closer to native resolution, though such a thing would likely look even better-er with something a bit more complex like [plug]BTSX[/plug]. It's mostly the wallpapering of high-res textures that causes the scenes to look all wonko.

Not that I'm saying anything other folks haven't said before. :P

Yet another remake that preserves the texture cutoff and misalignments, now made eternally more hideous thanks to modern fidelity.

Eh, I'm not too fond of these HD remasters of old games, because the textures are always too shiny, almost like someone rubbed coconut oil all over the walls. And it's weird to see Doom's abstract levels with such high-res, realistic textures. But I do like the strong, neon colors, although that's more of a personal thing, and I can see why others wouldn't like it.

Meh... the problem with the UE4 compared to id Tech 666 is that id Tech 666 preserves the darkness and grittiness of what makes Doom well... Doom.

UE4 just makes everything look a bit shiny and bright.

That's all well and good for Square Enix and Nintendo games...

But for Doom and FPS games? Doesn't work IMHO.

People don't seem to realize that this probably isn't finished so sure it's going to have a problem after another, we don't know if their intentions are to modify the original architecture eventually.

Obviously not, if they're so lovingly recreating the original E1M1.

I'd love to see them do their own take on it though.