Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

An adventure in gzdoom. (A Learning Process & Hidden Tutorial)

So you're telling me that is impossible to do this:

What am I looking at? Seriously? The wad I linked early manages to do it. I have stripped it of all scripts and I can't figure it out. It is clearly possible, but I don't know what I'm missing.

I can't do both lower and upper unpegged. Okay. So I choose to do Upper Unpegged and align the y/sidedef offset to -3 to achieve a gap above. What do I choose to raise the floor of the polyobject? I've tried raising the floor in the dummy sector that doesn't work. I've tried using the second column of the sidef offset. I've tried using the verticies absolute positioning, but that doesn't raise it.

Edit: I'm sorry if my tone is shitty. Maybe I'm a little frustrated by this one. I don't really need it to have two heights. I just figure it'll come up someday and, "while I was at it." Thank you everyone for the advice - it has definitely helped and I'm more happy with my map because of it.

I haven't given up on this though and if I do figure it out, I'll be sure to post here. I'll even make a video.

everennui said:

gave the Sidedef offset a negative value of -3 which drops it 3 pixels down from the top,

That's what I'm talking about! You did set Y offset to -3, and so the texture became offset 3 units from the top. You can set it to -128, and it will become offset 128 units from the top. OR, if you set the Lower unpegged flag and set the offset to +128, the texture will float 128 units above the ground. By the way, Upper unpegged flag has no effect on middle textures, only the Lower unpegged flag does.

everennui said:

What do I choose to raise the floor of the polyobject?

Polyobjects have no floors, they're technically just linedefs transferred to a different location. The seemingly floating one on your screenshot actually doesn't have a floor or ceiling, it's just the vertical textures floating - or it isn't a Polyobject, but a 3D floor, but 3D floors can't move horizontally.

Maybe the author managed to combine a 3D floor with a Polyobject? Is there "Sector_Set3DFloor" action anywhere on some linedef in the map or in the map's scripts?

scifista42 said:

Is there "Sector_Set3DFloor" action anywhere on some linedef in the map or in the map's scripts?

Nope. Every line in the dummy sector is action 5, "Poly Explicit Line". That screenshot is after I took out all of the script and compiled it without any ACS. The lines in the actual map itself are not tagged to anything.

scifista42 said:

Alright - this screenshot (previously posted by you) proves that there's no floor/ceiling anyway.

polyobject aren't 3D objects, so they won't have floors. I'm trying to do what's in the picture. That's why I posted it and said, "How do I do this?"

What exactly is the current problem that you don't understand or want help with? I hope that setting Y offset to a linedef and making a texture seemingly float above the ground + below the ceiling is already clear (explained in several posts above), so, what is it that you're asking about now?

scifista42 said:

What exactly is the current problem that you don't understand or want help with? I hope that setting Y offset to a linedef and making a texture seemingly float above the ground + below the ceiling is already clear (explained in several posts above), so, what is it that you're asking about now?

I can get it to float above or below, but not both. That's it. I guess I don't understand what to do. It isn't clear to me.

Look, each texture has a certain height, typically 128 units. Middle textures of 2-sided linedefs don't tile vertically, they just display one instance of themselves at a specific height level. This height level may be offset either from the floor, or from the ceiling. If it's offset <Y> units from the floor, it automatically means that it will be offset (<sector height> - <texture height> - <Y>) units from the ceiling (that's an equation, where "<X>" stands for the value of X, and "-" stands for "minus"). Similarly, if it's offset <Y> units from the ceiling, it automatically means that it will be offset (<sector height> - <texture height> + <Y>) units from the floor (there's a "plus", because offset from the ceiling is negative). That's it. There's nothing more to it.

scifista42 said:

Look, each texture has a certain height, typically 128 units. Middle textures of 2-sided linedefs don't tile vertically, they just display one instance of themselves at a specific height level. This height level may be offset either from the floor, or from the ceiling. If it's offset <Y> units from the floor, it automatically means that it will be offset (<sector height> - <texture height> - <Y>) units from the ceiling (that's an equation, where "<X>" stands for the value of X, and "-" stands for "minus"). Similarly, if it's offset <Y> units from the ceiling, it automatically means that it will be offset (<sector height> - <texture height> + <Y>) units from the floor (there's a "plus", because offset from the ceiling is negative). That's it. There's nothing more to it.

Okay... so... the texture I'm using is 128 and I think the height of the door should be about 88. So I'd need to scale it down? Time to wipe he dust of the old ti83.

Or you could use another (shorter) texture, or maybe you could take advantage of the texture scale UDMF property (resizing the whole texture on X or Y or both axes).

I've put script in my map at OPEN to slow the actor down to 65% of the normal speed... in doing so I've created some sort of issue with the bobbing animation that happens when the player moves. Just looks a little weird. Can I change this with ACS?

everennui said:

I've put script in my map at OPEN to slow the actor down to 65% of the normal speed...

This could have better been done by creating a new player class in DECORATE, at least if you wanted the player to be permanently slow in your entire wad.

everennui said:

in doing so I've created some sort of issue with the bobbing animation that happens when the player moves. Just looks a little weird. Can I change this with ACS?

A console variable "movebob" determines this. As a modder, you can't change/enforce its value via ACS or otherwise. It's in the player's competence.