Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Serekay

Doom 2 - Holy Hell Revealed

8 hours ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

Serekay, I have a question. Can you (specifically) beat Holy Hell Revealed? If so, what is the most difficult part in the entire level?

This was my first map, I playtested all parts and the hardest part I think is the last big room near the end because the monster waves I think.

I spend much time to my chillax style and my D33mer maps so i didn't optimized some parts of the holy hell map.

40 minutes ago, Serekay said:

This was my first map, I playtested all parts and the hardest part I think is the last big room near the end because the monster waves I think.

I spend much time to my chillax style and my D33mer maps so i didn't optimized some parts of the holy hell map.

My Ice Rage level got accepted to /idgames.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/ir

Is there a best sourceport to play this in? In regard to its massive size.

GZdoom freezes randomly for me :S

3 hours ago, BjarneC said:

Is there a best sourceport to play this in? In regard to its massive size.

GZdoom freezes randomly for me :S

Yes take a look to the first Post. You have to use prboom.

Also important that you change the option "fix clipping walls for large maps".

In first post there is anything you need to know

Finally got around to playing this, absolutely amazing so far. There are some really creative fights in this. 

That being said, I've noticed two MAJOR balance issue areas in my current playthrough:

1) The "wooden library" area with the green room with large steps in one wing -- by the time the arachs spawn in this green room, there's absolutely nowhere near enough ammo to kill them and the revanants/barons. I had to redo this area several times, slowly grinding with all the chaingun ammo drops. While this makes it BARELY possible, it also makes incredibly boring to just dodge for 30 minutes while chaingunning down revants and barons.

2) Red key room -- Ok seriously, did you playtest this? Not trying to be a d*ck here but this room is just a little absurd...I've beaten the okuplok map (with save-scumming ofc), and no section of that entire thing was as ridiculous as the red key room in your map. I really think the design is super awesome with the progressive waves, but when the archviles spawn, it just becomes impossible. There's simply not enough ammo in this room to kill everything quickly. I even tried beating up to the archviles using nothing but rockets (conserving all bfg ammo) and it's still not doable. The viles just target you too quickly and blast you to hell.

3) Square baron room shortly after getting yellow key -- Lol. Yeah...I rolled my eyes and IDDQD'd out of this one. I'm assuming this room wasn't actually intended to be beaten? I'd like to see someone post a video of clearing this room, even if it takes TAS. Not seeing how it's possible.

Overall this map is pretty good.

Edited by Trapper_1

Sorry bro for my late answer!

Thanks for your feedback! This map was my first try for doing (or in this case customize) Maps.

Yes shure the balance in this map is a little crappy XD i need to update this map. 

Its long time ago i did this map, so i cant remember which areas you mean exacly but i will check this.

I did more Maps Like chillax because big Maps getting boring.

I will take a look to holy hell revealed.

Thanks!

Serekay 

Edited by Serekay

I've had a look right through the the high res textures version of the map, often using cheats as some of the fights are difficult. The map looks quite nice with the high res textures. Overall there is a linear progression through the map and you've integrated your new rooms with the original in an excellent way. Some of the new rooms have some interesting fights that are quite enjoyable. I can see that you've also altered the way the original rooms play as well.  All that is good.

You are right that large maps like these can get boring. With 40,000+ enemies (or 50,000 by the end of it due to archvile resurrects and pain elemental lost soul spawns) it takes many hours to play through, in my case over 5 hours. This means killing on average 2-3 enemies per second through my own efforts and infighting. I'm not sure what the player appetite is for maps this large and difficult. Demos for maps of this size may be few and far between due to these factors.

As Trapper_1 said there are some ammo balancing issues to address and some of the fights appear to be extremely difficult as it. I did want to point out several problems I noticed, most graphical glitches. I've used prboom+ although the map is quite playable in zdoom (only slows down in a couple of spots) and a little less so in gzdoom (slowdown in many places). All 3 srcports exhibit the same problems:

1. In the upside down U shaped area where partitions rise behind you as you move forward. When you get to the end and teleport out but then revisit the area again, you get stuck because the partitions are up and won't come back down.
  2. In the same U shaped area there are 4 walls with "hall of mirrors" or missing textures.
  3. On the large open area on the west side of the map there is huge hall of mirrors to the south after the cacowave has been sprung.
  4. In the large final room there are some hall of mirrors after some of the north and south side walls have been lowered.
  5. One of the 3 light amplification visors in the dark room (thing 26422) is unreachable due to close pillars blocking. Actually you can squeeze through to get them but then you can't get back out.

Good luck, I hope you manage to complete this and get it onto idgames as soon as possible.

10 hours ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I've realized that the file is no longer on the servers.

A real shame. It seems that @Serekay has lost interest in this project since he never replied to my bug post in Jan 2018. It's too bad since this significant extension to holyhell is quite playable and reasonably polished with only a few bugs remaining, so close to release.

17 hours ago, tmorrow said:

A real shame. It seems that @Serekay has lost interest in this project since he never replied to my bug post in Jan 2018. It's too bad since this significant extension to holyhell is quite playable and reasonably polished with only a few bugs remaining, so close to release.

That can be universally agreed upon. In the meantime, I've made myself some levels longer than the original level 5 from Holy Hell (they take approximately 6 hours to beat, ranging from 10K-25K enemies), most recently, "Peanut Butter Cake Massacre" (17K enemies). Serekay would love to try that one out, especially with a ton of Doom 3 sound effects and some Hard Doom sounds put in there. Not to mention, I recently have beaten "Long Road, No Turns" which took me 9 hours (in-game).

Here are the standard and high res texture releases version 15 that I have, not sure if they are the most recent releases or not. Get them quick since I'll be removing them within a week.

standard (20mb) - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ALDhHPTrWq8gJd4KuVO9ZF1w2RecMgll

high res (176Mb) - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gVMXR8B3ty7qZwGUGe7AtllmBYJSz6Bn

Good luck uvmax'ing this beast!

wow it´s insane to see a gameplay of this mod from Holy hell after this long time! That map was my first steps into map building so i learned a lot about the mechanics of doom and how to use things like doors, switches, teleport etc. 

i never thought anyone try this out because it´s a very grindy Map.

Anyway, thanks for this awesome gameplay!

btw. which bitrate did you use in your recording program? because the video quality is not so good probably you should use a higher bitrate for the next recording.

Edited by Serekay

Like... You buffed the player in almost every single old fight, except in the hardest fight (room with the red key), where you put no additional health but put like 3 times as much archviles and cybers? really dude?

On 3/23/2020 at 5:50 PM, Serekay said:

Anyway, thanks for this awesome gameplay!

Thank you too for such a great and hard slaughter map :D

On 3/23/2020 at 5:50 PM, Serekay said:

which bitrate did you use in your recording program?

Well I used viddump option of prboom+. Video captured via FFmpeg in lossless quality. That's actually strange that the YouTube video has THAT bad quality. Probably there's a problem on YouTube's side (encoder settings maybe?) as my captured video has flawless quality or maybe I had to upload 1080p video instead of 720p or something else.

Anyway thank you very much for feedback :)

15 hours ago, Ninehills42 said:

You buffed the player in almost every single old fight, except in the hardest fight (room with the red key), where you put no additional health but put like 3 times as much archviles and cybers?

Well I had almost no choice :D Btw imo this was NOT the hardest one. For me the hardest area for beating was at 3:53:55. Because of sh*tloads of archviles and cybers. Very last wave - you vs 150 cybers at once? Seriously? That's why btw you have to save as much invulnerability spheres and megaspheres as you can. But yes - red key area is the next one in the list of hardest parts of this map xD

Does the wad only work for me if I don't put a brutal wad on it, if I put it on it it will drop to 1 fps?

Hi, yes I’m fine thanks ✌️

I‘m not very active the last couple of years that’s right, but have 3 or more maps almost finished.

I don’t know when I will release it, but this year 👍