Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raymoohawk

monster combination ideas?

Piper Maru said:

A Cyberdemon that fires Chaingunners instead of rockets.

Reminds me of when I made a plasma rifle that shot Lost Souls, which turned themselves towards the player as they travelled forward, and most of them simply died as they smashed againt the wall.

Maes said:

Reminds me of when I made a plasma rifle that shot Lost Souls, which turned themselves towards the player as they travelled forward, and most of them simply died as they smashed againt the wall.

I must get a hold of this. Do you still have it?

Piper Maru said:

I must get a hold of this. Do you still have it?

Just copy the Lost Soul actor properties into those of the plasma ball in DEHACKED ;)

Now that I think about it, The Sky May Be had pinkies shooting plasma balls that shot like chaingunners.

BluePineapple72 said:

Cyber demon + Baron of Hell

A baron of hell with cybernetic parts and a devastating plasma launcher

That already exists on Realm667. There's a Baron with mechanical parts called the Cyber Baron and a fully mechanical Baron called the Cybruiser.

lost soul + arch-vile = A lost soul with the arch-vile attack. Now imagine what fun a few pain elementals would bring...

cyberdemon + revenant = Some of those rockets are homing now. Enjoy!

imp + baron of hell = A less powerful baron that...oh wait, never mind.

Cyberdemon + Maulotaur = Cybertaur: a horrific maulotaur-cyberdemon hybrid with a rocket launcher attached onto one arm, while carrying a maul with the other.

i've seen a lot of commenters that seemed a bit confused, the idea was to come up with monsters that are in between 2 or more monsters, so if you combine say a shotgun guy and a revenant you would not have a monster with the added health and attacks of the 3 monsters

Zombieman + Imp: the result of Impsing that creates a deformed human/imp equipped with a pistol and the fireballs. As strong as an imp, and can scale walls.

SS Nazi + Archvile: An unholy priest complete with black armor and a cloak that has a machine gun and can revive fallen lower tier enemies.

Pain Elemental + Baron: A Baron with the ability to teleport in extra Imps and Demons around him or the player. Great to make things unpredicatble.

Pain Elemental + Demon: A Demon with tech explosives on it. Explodes when it dies.

Mancubus + Revenant: fires a barrage of flaming homing rockets.

Take it one step further and add an arachnotron for rapid fire from each barrel.

"...so I attached 7 chaingunners on to the Spider Mastermind's head, giving it 360 chaingun action."

Chaingunner + Shotgunner = A zombie with a shotgun for close range combat, and a chaingun for sniping combat. Same HP as demon.

Monster spawner + Barrel = A barrel launcher turret with no health, to avoid getting a barrel in your face, you must shoot the barrels in mid flight, it shoots a barrel each second upon sight.

Commander keen + imp/Hell Knight = A low/mid tier enemy that can only walk on ceilings.

@joeliia
silly as it sounds i like the barrel idea. it would be even cooler if it was an actual monster that moves around

raymoohawk said:

@joeliia
silly as it sounds i like the barrel idea. it would be even cooler if it was an actual monster that moves around

There's a barrel deathmatch WAD where all players look like barrels, and the maps themselves are full of barrels.

what i meant is a monster that launches rockets that you can shoot before they hit you, so like the turret joe described, but mobile

Actually all monster projectiles can be made shootable with a simple flag, but very few mods use it, e.g. the pimps' basketballs in Doomguy's Pimp Ventures 2.

Lost Soul sets itself a special flag called "SKULLFLY" when charging, and the engine handles objects will this flag in a special way not really the same as handling actual projectiles with a "MISSILE" flag. The most noticeable difference is that a charging Lost Soul gets stopped by bumping into non-solid objects. What's more, a charging Lost Soul actually gets stopped even by non-solid objects below the Lost Soul, as if they were infinitely tall - because the respective collision checks assume infinite tall-ness. Ports like ZDoom change at least the latter mentioned issue.

Not a new monster, per se (or even a combination) but I always wanted to see the Arch-vile with the ability to revive other dead Arch-viles.

The problem with the OPs premise is that there are very few of the intended "niches" in Doom, in particular if you consider Doom II and its extended (compared to Doom) bestiary.

Sure, Doom had a lot of gaps and niches, but most of them were more than adequately filled in Doom II, with some of the new monsters really being "combinations": e.g. the chaingunner is really a combination SM + Zombie. Revenants could be seen as cross between an imp and a baron or imp and Cyberdemon (though HKs and Revenants often compete for the title of "improved imp"). It's a bit perplexing that id chose to introduce two new non-melee, clumsy-moving, high HP, pure projectile monsters (Arachnotrons and Mancubuses). Also, at least two of the new monsters (PE and Archvile) were original ideas.

IMO, it's a good thing they didn't include more hitscanners or rocket-shooting monsters: a hitscanner with even more HP and speed/mobility than a chaingunner would just be extremely annoying plus easily neutralizable in hordes, due to infighting. In general, the idea of a high HP, high rate of fire hitscanner was kind of a bummer, as the SM proves. Really hard to get it right, and the chaingunner is really at the verge of what is tolerable.

Rocket shooting monsters....meh. Unless they were given immunity to their splash damage, they would die pretty quickly (then again, Archviles are not immune to their own, but they also have high HP and can survive quite a few mistakes). It would be hard to find a balance between adequately high HP, immunity to splash damage, in-species infighting immunity, mobility and rate of fire.

Maes said:

It would be hard to find a balance between adequately high HP, immunity to splash damage, in-species infighting immunity, mobility and rate of fire.

The Cyberdemon?

Also,
Pain Elemental + Arachnotron= A fully mechanized floating monster with roughly the same HP as an Archvile that fires a big shootable energy ball that explode into arachnotron plasma blasts when they hit a wall or shot. They spread these arachnotron shots in 8 directions

Zulk-RS said:

The Cyberdemon?

That's a high HP, high-speed, high-rate-of-fire, basically high-everything monster, only suitable as a boss (unless you're ToD, then you can use them like you'd use Revenants *grin*)

Giving pretty much ANY lower tier monster just the rocket attack of the cyberdemon (even without the triple volley), would make it extremely annoying (if the monster survived long enough due to the infighting or its own blasts). Perhaps Obituary did the right thing by giving this attack to the gimmicky "bazookamen", which just ended blowing themselves and other low tier monsters up. But that's one wasted monster slot, if you ask me.

Spider Mastermind + Pinky Demon
The average pile of brain goop, sans the metal chassis of course. Flops around and attacks the player with its stubby arms.

^ and that would be different from a pinky how?...

That's a FORCED (minus the PAINFUL) thread if I've ever seen one :-/