Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VGA

Atmospheric songs for Doom

I have a weird music idea for a songlist of about 10 songs to override any default or custom music.

Because they will be the only songs played I have decided that it's best to avoid metal tracks and focus on atmospheric ones, like the PSX soundtrack maybe?

Any ideas for songs that set the mood and aren't boring or tiring to listen to multiple times? It will be a random rotation of 10 basically, maybe a couple more. (Songs from Doom 1/2 excluded, please, other games, yes, whatever they are)

Looking for an interesting and "moody" song tapestry that doesn't get old, you know?

Voros said:

I like E1M3's music a lot.
Does that work?

Nooo, not vanilla songs, like I said in the OP :D

ChekaAgent said:

You mean MIDIs or real music?

Hmm, good question. Probably midis though.

Uhh...
Does STRAIN's MAP02 MIDI count?

There is this MIDI too, called DATAVILL.mid, comes with this HacX map called Datavill (its in the idgames directory). It is also used for the Protean Cybex map (available at the HacX website).

I highly and strongly recommend listening to the following ambient/atmospheric songs while playing Doom.

The Silent Hill 2 OST (why because why not?)

PSX Doom OST

Doom 64 OST

Quake 2 N64 OST

And well... some Resident Evil 1 music works as well.

And of course let's not leave out the obscure Zelda songs that are terrifying...

Shadow Temple theme, Forest Temple theme, Fire Temple theme, Ikana Valley, and well yeah....

Oh and there's a wad called Hell's Ambience; really nice music wad if you are in the mood for ambient shit to fucking mess with your head.

Anyway, enjoy! ^^

Sure, check these out:

Bongripper - Worship
Bongripper - Satan
Om - Thebes
Yob - Exorcism of the Host
Yob - Burning the Altar
Coffinworm - High off the reek of your burning remains
Benny Hill - Opening Theme

Also, I don't know the name of the song...but if you youtube "Nazi Hell March", you'll find a bad ass instrumental.

The only non metal one here is Thebes.

I enjoy using VGM from other games for some of my favorite games I like to play them to.

My top picks for generally eerie or tense atmosphere:

Blood II: The Chosen
BloodRayne
Devil May Cry 1-3 stage music
Diablo 1-2
F.E.A.R.
Run Like Hell
The Suffering

Cyanosis said:

I enjoy using VGM from other games for some of my favorite games I like to play them to.

My top picks for generally eerie or tense atmosphere:

Blood II: The Chosen
BloodRayne
Devil May Cry 1-3 stage music
Diablo 1-2
F.E.A.R.
Run Like Hell
The Suffering

Ohhh yes. Diablo and Diablo II's soundtracks are superb and very versatile. Perfect as background music, particularly if you're into roguelikes (Nethack, Crawl etc.) that don't have BGM of their own. Matt Uelmen is something special.

vadrig4r said:

Ohhh yes. Diablo and Diablo II's soundtracks are superb and very versatile. Perfect as background music, particularly if you're into roguelikes (Nethack, Crawl etc.) that don't have BGM of their own. Matt Uelmen is something special.

I listen to Diablo and Diablo II's soundtrack when I play something like DoomRL or Super Doom 64 + Unabsolved on Zandronum.... really fits IMHO.