Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Creaphis

Wrack: Starfall

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2134746636/wrack-starfall-fps-video-game

I played a ton of Skulltag back in the day and I'm still feeling some lingering loyalty to Carn. I remember writing some pretty intense criticism of Wrack on this forum but that's water under the bridge. I'll probably back this at the $15 level and at least get my money back if things don't work out. It looks neat.

Soooo...not solely an FPS then, huh? That's kinda unusual.

Well, good luck to him, I guess.

I liked the first Wrack, and this seems like an interesting extension. If the console goal could be reached it could certainly draw a much larger audience for the budding franchise.

-Rougelike Elements-

-Procedural Generation-

-Waves-

Ah okay, it's every big indie cliche and a method of combat I don't care for. Hope they can at least make the game, I guess.

Sounds pretty neat! I've had a lot of fun with procedurally generated, roguelike games lately; chipped in a few bucks.

Not the biggest fan of roguelikes, but I like the concept of combining FPS and TD a la Sanctum. This should be interesting.

Hey, thanks for your support guys! It really means a lot (seriously).

We're definitely taking things in a different direction here, but frankly it's something that needed to happen. We're trying to retain a lot of what made Wrack great and unique (art style, kill streak/super shot type thing, character designs, etc.) while doing something unique and interesting with the gameplay side. Tower defense is something I've long enjoyed (going back to a lot of great invasion/TD Doom mods) and I think we're on to something great here. The concept is so important these days, and while this one isn't going to appeal to everyone, I think we've got a great one.

Oh wow. I've lost track of wrack since it was in early access. This Kickstarter video is impressive! I'll be sure to throw a couple bucks your way.

Jaxxoon R said:

-Rougelike Elements-

-Procedural Generation-

-Waves-

Ah okay, it's every big indie cliche and a method of combat I don't care for. Hope they can at least make the game, I guess.

Yeah...my thoughts exactly. This one's definitely not for me.

-edit-

But good luck with the fundraising, Carn! :)

Nothing wrong with a little change of pace. I think I can throw a few bucks toward this :)

So you're starting a new game because you didn't want to finish the old one?

rf` said:

So you're starting a new game because you didn't want to finish the old one?

Wrack was released in 2014. Wasn't it?

kristus said:

Wrack was released in 2014. Wasn't it?

It was indeed! :) It was finished and released in 2014. We just chose not to expand it afterwards for a multitude of reasons. But people got exactly what was promised to them and what they paid for. I know there are those who wish we'd return to the original Wrack, but like I said earlier, a change of direction was pretty necessary.

Sanctum was great fun, and with their devs gone to greener pastures, it's due time someone does something with the FPS tower defense subgenre.

Wrack had visceral responsiveness but fell short on level design; refocusing the next game to be more combat focused and less reliant on exploration should be interesting.

Creaphis said:

As of today, the project failed to be funded. I publicly offer my condolences.

I sort of expected it, even though I found this thread late, since the original Wrack wasn't that good.

Procedural generation, yes.

Roguelike elements, no.

Waves, definitely no.

Ah, well thanks. I appreciate the support. Really there's nothing or nobody to blame here other than me. Reception to the page and the idea has been very positive, and the average pledge has been very high (>$45). Just didn't get enough eyeballs on it and hadn't laid enough of the groundwork early. Firing off a few press emails the day before (which was Easter) wasn't going to cut it.

I'll have more to say about the process and future in a day or two.

Glaice said:

Procedural generation, yes.

Roguelike elements, no.

Well, those kind of go hand-in-hand.

I think the genre is pretty saturated, a game needs a gimmick to stand out. Maybe 3rd person parkour or a novelty like Dishonored's timefreeze+teleportation spell.

Maybe the player is some ninja or like Nightstalker? That would allow him to beat insurmountable odds and give a feeling of skill and power. Like in Doom where the player just races around like a Porsche while blasting fools.

Also, have you played SUPERHOT?!

Max Payne pretty much had a gimmick "bullet time" and it pretty much stood out of the crowd of third person shooters by doing so.

I enjoyed the first Wrack and will probably replay it at some point and maybe check out if anybody made any decent maps for it. Not really a fan of roguelikes so wasn't sure what to think of Starfall.... was sitting on the fence about it. Too bad it didn't get funded tho.

Alright, still working on the website redo a lot (please forgive any issues with it), but here's my little write up on the Kickstarter campaign, and what we're up to next:

http://www.wrackgame.com/the-future-of-wrack-starfall/

VGA said:

I think the genre is pretty saturated, a game needs a gimmick to stand out.

I certainly agree which is why we're getting out of the oldschool shooter business. Starfall is a tower defense FPS with rogue-like elements, which is something that hasn't been done before. It's unique and interesting and I think we're on to something here.

Hey Carnevil. This is the first time I hear of this campaign. I never played Wrack as my time schedule didn't really allow for yet another "up and coming game", but the game has always looked good, and reading about your struggle to push forward now, I encourage you on as I hope you reach your goals. I've added Wrack to my "Steam wishlist" to purchase it when it's on sale, and I'll keep in mind to contribute if you roll out another crowd-funding for the new Wrack.

Also; I recognize where the "Marvelous!" and similar commentary on the left side of the screen is from --- Marvel Vs Capcom, ain't it? :-)

Ah, well thank you very much!

gemini09 said:

Also; I recognize where the "Marvelous!" and similar commentary on the left side of the screen is from --- Marvel Vs Capcom, ain't it? :-)

It is indeed! In fact, it has even more in common with that than the font. Because it's in part a comic-themed game, the different combo ranks in MvC3 refer to comic characters (Fantastic! Incredible! Galactic!). Because Wrack is also influenced by comics, it references similar things with its kill chains on the left side (Amazing! Beastly! Marvelous!), but also references classic shooters with its kill combos on the right side (Ludicrous! Serious! Unreal!).

We've officially launched the site for this. Probably what's most notable about this is that we're opening our Trello up to the public. This means that anyone can follow along with the project and see what we're up to, how things are progressing, what's coming down the pipes, etc. Full write-up of all the new stuff here.