Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Why do people keep comparing this game to Halo?

It's all over the steam forums. People claiming the game is console trash and just like Halo. How is it anything like Halo exactly? I can think of literally nothing about the game that is anything like Halo, except perhaps the Doom marine's armor.

Because it's another generic console shooter, just like Halo.

On more serious note, it may look aesthetically (prob. spelt wrong) similar to Halo, being another sci-fi shooter. But I guess most of the complaints are because of the marine's armor.

Btw, Steam forums are sort of stupid. Many people there are kind of morons.

ChekaAgent said:

Because it's another generic console shooter

What makes it a generic console shooter? It doesn't have regenerating health. It allows you to have more than 2 weapons at once unlike Halo. You can select weapons the traditional way on the PC. And as far as I can tell it's gameplay isn't constantly stopped every 10 seconds via scripted events, and there is no cover system.

And it's not as if the original Dooms were ever very complex to begin with. Shoot demons, find keycard, hit exist switch, repeat.

ChekaAgent said:

But I guess most of the complaints are because of the marine's armor.

Which is funny because in the past I remember hearing some people complain about the MC being a rip-off of the Doom guy.

I wasn't serious when I said it's a generic shooter. Btw, I'm thinking now that most of those people who say Doom's similar to Halo are actually Halo fans, who try to accuse Doom of being a rip-off. It's not surprising, since Halo fanbase is famous for being full of dumbasses.

But there's no need to worry: when Doom comes out, it'll kick Halo's ass and Halo fans will be ashamed of themseleves.

the same people that made halo and cod multiplayer made the doom MP, that's probably why it looks like those

ChekaAgent said:

I wasn't serious when I said it's a generic shooter. Btw, I'm thinking now that most of those people who say Doom's similar to Halo are actually Halo fans, who try to accuse Doom of being a rip-off. It's not surprising, since Halo fanbase is famous for being full of dumbasses.

But there's no need to worry: when Doom comes out, it'll kick Halo's ass and Halo fans will be ashamed of themseleves.

Becareful with sarcasm on the internet, it does not translate well to text.

hardcore_gamer said:

Which is funny because in the past I remember hearing some people complain about the MC being a rip-off of the Doom guy.

I think it isn't that, it's the style of the multiplayer armor suits that reminds people to Halo. That techy scifi plastic/metal full body armor style.

I think it's just a generic scifi style that we have seen in many games, but the actual Doom protagonist looks different, so I am fine with it.

Because there are things to compare.

Doom 4's space marines and Halo's spartans are aesthetically similar, and Halo's multiplayer has had Arena style elements from the first installment onward, namely coordination to control weapon respawns and power-ups. Combat Evolved and Reach even had health packs on the maps. Glory kills are also comparable to backstabs/assassinations from Halo Reach onward, special instant-kill animations you get if you melee an enemy player in the back and hold the button down. Not to mention loadouts which are just a thing every multiplayer shooter seems to have these days.

ChekaAgent said:

Btw, I'm thinking now that most of those people who say Doom's similar to Halo are actually Halo fans, who try to accuse Doom of being a rip-off.

It's surprisingly common in any fanbase - the fans feel threatened by a major competitor to their favorite game series (they don't want to be playing second fiddle), so they try to convince people that the other game is crap.

This is precisely what they're scared of. Maybe the hostile reactions are actually an indicator of the Halo fans realizing that this new Doom might be more awesome than their precious Halo and they refuse to face the realities.

Just modify their "This game sucks!" comments in your own head to: "OMG! This game rocks!", and I'm sure it'll make you happier for it :)

Its always the same old fuckery, the Halo plebs bashing a game just because theres full body armor and/or vehicle combat (See Toxikk)

(real quotes)
"SOOO BASICALLY HALO MIXED WITH UNREAL"
"HALO ON METH"
"ITS LIKE HALO AND COUNTERSTRIKE HAD A BABY"

DMGUYDZ64 said:

I Have never played any Halo game after first one, i don't really care .

You aren't missing much honestly. The second game was crap and the third was merely ok. The story while originally very interesting also turns into shit by the time of the third game.

I think we should be careful in judging a game in such a early state. Wait until the full game is out, play it and then make up your mind, imo.

I coudln't even get through the SP campaign of the first one. Just got bored after fighting wave of wave of these zombie/insect/locust things for an entire level. It was fun up too that point though.

It's mostly because the multiplayer of this game was outsourced to Creative Affinity, who have had their hand with not only making maps for Halo and Call of Duty alike, but also created/co-designed the multiplayer for some of those games as well. To that degree, the multiplayer falls into a modern trap of only being able to carry two weapons at once with a custom loadout system, something highly resembling of Call of Duty games in general and Halo 4 in particular. It also has speeds comparable to the fastest of the Halo games, although the intensity is dialed up a few notches due to more variety in weapon types firing all over the place and no regenerating health or armor. Hopefully those who actually get used to the game are going to be using their mobility and environment a lot more, compared to right now where people will spot someone and either run right at them or strafe in place a little bit.

And before you say, "But there's power weapons and power-ups on the map, surely that's more like Quake," Halo also has always done that (besides, again, Halo 4 as it was an odd one out), it's just Halo 5 in particular tells you about it now like this game does. Halo 5 also happened to bring ledge clambering into play, around the same time games like Call of Duty Advanced Warfare brought double-jumps when Doom was only initially announced in 2014 for real, so even what Doom is trying to do isn't very original outside of the Demon Rune power-up. There's also the fact that the multiplayer Marines look like SPARTAN knockoffs, unapologetically so.

I'm not trying to start a massive argument or shitstorm, i'm basically just listing off a lot of reasons why people would compare the two series. Although goddamn, the sheer amount of people calling Halo shit when several of you outright demonstrate you've barely played them makes me wonder why you're vehemently responding with hostility about the subject in the first place. And because of numerous circumstances (including Halo 5 having the largest launch of its entire franchise), I doubt this modern Doom would even outsell Halo 5, so there's no need to be cocksure about it all either.

RikohZX said:

Hopefully those who actually get used to the game are going to be using their mobility and environment a lot more, compared to right now where people will spot someone and either run right at them or strafe in place a little bit.

The problem here is that strafing and backward motion are actually substantially slower than forward movement in the game. And with no way to rapidly accelerate (like strafe jumping or rocket jumping), there really isn't much you can do defensively in terms of movement to avoid incoming fire.

TheGamePhilosophe said:

The problem here is that strafing and backward motion are actually substantially slower than forward movement in the game. And with no way to rapidly accelerate (like strafe jumping or rocket jumping), there really isn't much you can do defensively in terms of movement to avoid incoming fire.

Right, I keep forgetting that forward movement is classified as a 'sprint' in the code and any other movement is just sluggish in comparison. You'd think they'd of realized that's a problem, but I guess not.

Gameplay-wise in Multiplayer, it does remind me a lot of Halo 3 (even more so than that piece of shit called Halo 5.) But still, maybe it's because Halo is the baby of Doom?

Doom gave birth to Marathon which gave birth to Halo.

So Doom is the grandpa. He was very proud of Halo, until Reach came out, and then 4 came out, and then 5 came out, and he severed Halo in half, separating the good classic Halo games like Halo 1, 2, and 3 away from the shit that is the modern Halo.

This might sound a bit ranty, but I feel like Classic Halo (1, 2, and 3 respectively) are better than Modern Halo (Reach, 4, and 5).

In fact Halo 5 was so horrible, it made me sell my Xbox One and switch full-on to my laptop and my Wii U... I'm saving up money to get a PS4 this summer hopefully. =3 (SO I CAN PLAY DOOM! =D)

Some don't mind Reach besides the armor abilities, but yeah, the classic Halos are the most appreciated games for a reason, which was also why the godawful launch state for the Master Chief Collection was so controversial among the fans. Some will tell you that Halo 5's gameplay is some of the best in the series, but the lack of modes and various problems (including a godawful storyline in the campaign, with its level design going to shit towards the end) bog the game down.

RikohZX said:

Some don't mind Reach besides the armor abilities, but yeah, the classic Halos are the most appreciated games for a reason, which was also why the godawful launch state for the Master Chief Collection was so controversial among the fans. Some will tell you that Halo 5's gameplay is some of the best in the series, but the lack of modes and various problems (including a godawful storyline in the campaign, with its level design going to shit towards the end) bog the game down.

My problem was the shitty campaign, and the microtransactions.... as well as the lack of game-modes, and dual-wielding.

There's STILL no dual-wielding.

I'm so happy I left the Xbox One. Everyone is too busy playing fucking Destiny, Call of Duty, or Grand Theft Auto, and nobody wanted to play Master Chief Collection with me, and Halo 5 sucked.

For starters green protagonists wearing similar armors then it's the modern mind making more associations from there which is something that should be completely expected to happen because we are always doing that, but if you compare their overall appearence I think you could say Doom's overall appearence has kind of a retro industrial look that looks closer to what you could see today in real life facilities (they even said that've been inspired by Nasa labs) while Halo's appearence looks much more advanced making it seem that the world around you is technologically much more complex and that it belongs to a very very distant future, I mean Doom doesn't look that far away from our current times compared to Halo, but it seems to me that they failed to apply this to the weapons, the weapons do look really advanced. If you remember how the plasmagun looked before (even in Doom 64) you could say it didn't look as technologically advanced as this one.

Concerning multiplayer: Big floaty jumps, loadouts, two weapon limit + power weapon gimmick, dedicated grenade button, deployable Halo 3 items (teleporter), general gunplay feel, bullet spongey players, dedicated melee button.

I don't feel any of these are damning 'console trash' traits, except for maybe the bullet sponge players, but the similarities are pretty obvious.

hardcore_gamer said:

It's all over the steam forums. People claiming the game is console trash and just like Halo. How is it anything like Halo exactly? I can think of literally nothing about the game that is anything like Halo, except perhaps the Doom marine's armor.

Because people have nothing better to do.

Doom came out with FPS Multiplayer, teleporting, green space marines and strafing so Halo is a clone of Doom no?

They're all idiots and ought to keep their comparisons limited to their small groups less they look like fools to everyone else.

Chezza said:

Doom came out with FPS Multiplayer, teleporting, green space marines and strafing so Halo is a clone of Doom no?

They're all idiots and ought to keep their comparisons limited to their small groups less they look like fools to everyone else.

Back then every other fps was a "Doom clone", I think the term FPS didn't even exist, instead people refered to fps games as Doom clones, but were they really?

Coopersville said:

Concerning multiplayer: Big floaty jumps, loadouts, two weapon limit + power weapon gimmick, dedicated grenade button, deployable Halo 3 items (teleporter), general gunplay feel, bullet spongey players, dedicated melee button.

I don't feel any of these are damning 'console trash' traits, except for maybe the bullet sponge players, but the similarities are pretty obvious.

Loadouts are better than random weapons scattered across the map where getting them before others do is just a matter of luck. And a dedicated grenade button is extremely useful regardless of your playing on a console or a PC. One of the key reasons I would never use grenades in lots of games was because it wasn't worth it selecting grenades a separate weapon instead of just shooting everybody, but once I could throw them with a single press suddenly they became useful.

Coopersville said:

dedicated grenade button, deployable Halo 3 items (teleporter)

I don't think you've been paying enough attention at all because you actually just said the same thing twice. The alleged "dedicated grenade button" is actually an inventory item, which could be a grenade or translocator (personal teleporter) or a slew of other things.

Halo also doesn't have teleporting items. If you want to complain about something, you shouldn't need to make stuff up in the process.

Halo borrows everything from Doom deathmatch (SANS FUN LOL) and no one says a damn thing. Halo literally rips of Doomguy's design AND ringworld simultaneously, no one says a damn thing. DOOM borrows stuff from Halo - lame stuff like weapon limits - and everyone goes apeshit.

Ignorant is the new cool

hardcore_gamer said:

Loadouts are better than random weapons scattered across the map where getting them before others do is just a matter of luck.

Spawning close to demon runes or the big weapons when they are available after you die would also be a matter of "luck" if by "luck" you mean by chance. Is that really a problem to you? Don't you enjoy some chaos?

Doomkid said:

Halo borrows everything from Doom deathmatch (SANS FUN LOL) and no one says a damn thing. Halo literally rips of Doomguy's design AND ringworld simultaneously, no one says a damn thing. DOOM borrows stuff from Halo - lame stuff like weapon limits - and everyone goes apeshit.

Ignorant is the new cool

Besides being first-person-shooters I don't even know how you can remotely compare the gameplay of classic Doom and Halo. They're entirely different styles of shooters, period. Plus Doom never, ever had any ringworld stuff. Just two moons of Mars along with the planet itself depending on the game, Earth and Hell.

The closest between the series back then was just Master Chief being a little obviously inspired in design.