Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Why do people keep comparing this game to Halo?

MrGlide said:

I never said that.

Oh sorry, my mistake. I mis-read.
Yes, you're right most people tend to use 2 to 3 weapons in Doom DM;
but at the same time I enjoyed using all of them for shits and giggles.
I think it's fine, if eventually people find "Hey, RL and SSG are the best combo" and eventually everyone starts doing that too; but the loadout still puts everyone on an equal plain, and takes the urgency to control certain parts of the map out of the game. I'd also like to point out Halo 4 added loadouts to the game, and the Halo community hated it, because you could spawn with OP weapons. It killed that game's online quickly. Most people enjoyed Halo 3 the most; and if you look at that game, you'll see it follows the standard FPS style, where everyone starts with the default weapon, great maps, and fun game modes. It's just a better way to play an FPS.
I'm just hoping they have a mode in Doom where it's vanilla DM, everyone starts with a pistol, and weapons are scattered around the map. Then we can put all this loadout business behind us.

HellVain said:

Looks like iy was written by some edgy guy whos bias just because doom is darker and more action oriented and halo is colorful with a design that makes it look like youre in a space movie and is focused on story.

That was actually written by high-school me, and I actually deliberately stacked the deck against Halo after having played it through for the first time myself, despite actually having quite enjoyed it.

BluePineapple72 said:

Have you ever considered making a "sequel" of sorts to the old Doom vs. Halo post?

No.

Coopersville said:

Concerning multiplayer: Big floaty jumps, loadouts, two weapon limit + power weapon gimmick, dedicated grenade button, deployable Halo 3 items (teleporter), general gunplay feel, bullet spongey players, dedicated melee button.

I don't feel any of these are damning 'console trash' traits, except for maybe the bullet sponge players, but the similarities are pretty obvious.

Find it kind of odd that many of the people in here are practically skipping over this point to just try and paint anyone who has an opinion otherwise as having a purely aesthetic based opinion or even a herp derp masterchief green type thing or from a lack of experience.

Most insults on steam are stupid, just as with FO4 or tons of other games. A general hiveminded-ness with lack of actual ability to articulate their feelings. However if you take some time and look at SOME of the discussions, rather than purely reviews, you'll find some decent points and reasoning behind way people have review bombed those games and specific points keep returning.

With DooM there are some legitimate comparisons to Halo beyond superficial, as cooper pointed out.

The game play, specifically running and jumping has a somewhat floaty feel to it that is reminiscent of halo, all of them.
There is clamoring just like Halo 5 has now.
There is a dedicated melee button, which specifically hits opponent with the butt of your gun just like Halo.
Two weapon limitations with a super weapon you cannot switch from.
A grenade type button. Perhaps in the future it will include other stuff such as maybe a berserk pack powerup you can hold onto or something like that. At the moment it's just grenades + teleporter (which kind of feels like a type of grenade in some respects).
Executions, yes Brutal Doom had them but Halo has them as well and more people played Halo than Brutal Doom.
Snap Map is sounded like a more expansive version of Halo Forge. However that is a snap judgement (pun intended). Either way I, personally, am disappointed at the lack of true mod tools ever being released.

These are some fair comparisons beyond just graphical stuff. Several of these things are in many modern console oriented FPS games but Halo is the only one that has the most well known, easiest, and arguably more accurate title to compare to

Eternal0 said:

At the moment it's just grenades + teleporter (which kind of feels like a type of grenade in some respects).

These are some fair comparisons beyond just graphical stuff. Several of these things are in many modern console oriented FPS games but Halo is the only one that has the most well known, easiest, and arguably more accurate title to compare to

Halo has no teleport thing, Unreal does for ctf though. I just wanted to point that out. and in unreal you can insta kill people by telefraging them with it as well. I'm not bitching, it's a cool idea.

MrGlide said:

Halo has no teleport thing, Unreal does for ctf though. I just wanted to point that out. and in unreal you can insta kill people by telefraging them with it as well. I'm not bitching, it's a cool idea.

I was merely pointing out that there was more than one thing on the grenade button so someone wouldn't try and mention it first to counter my overall message about a "grenade button" by saying "but there is a teleporter too!" then ignoring everything else. What about all of the OTHER things that ARE like Halo? Honestly the double jumping aspect is also remenscent of UT though still different, I wouldn't mind a dodge mechanic like UT had as well but that would get people up in arms about it being a UT clone *shrug*

Eternal0 said:

I was merely pointing out that there was more than one thing on the grenade button so someone wouldn't try and mention it first to counter my overall message about a "grenade button" by saying "but there is a teleporter too!" then ignoring everything else. What about all of the OTHER things that ARE like Halo? Honestly the double jumping aspect is also remenscent of UT though still different, I wouldn't mind a dodge mechanic like UT had as well but that would get people up in arms about it being a UT clone *shrug*

the dodge mechanics are one of the biggest reasons I still play unreal, don't get me wrong it's a great game but the dodges make it magical some how, it feels so good, you're so agile. it is a really great addition to the franchise.

hardcore_gamer said:

What makes it a generic console shooter? It doesn't have regenerating health. It allows you to have more than 2 weapons at once unlike Halo. You can select weapons the traditional way on the PC. And as far as I can tell it's gameplay isn't constantly stopped every 10 seconds via scripted events, and there is no cover system.

And it's not as if the original Dooms were ever very complex to begin with. Shoot demons, find keycard, hit exist switch, repeat.

Which is funny because in the past I remember hearing some people complain about the MC being a rip-off of the Doom guy.

Doom and Minecraft are similar in many ways:

-Doom was ported to multiple Computers, Consoles, and systems
-Minecraft was ported to many systems

-Minecraft has a massive modding community
-Doom has many mods, maps, wads

-Minecraft popularized the voxel - sandbox genre
-Doom popularized the FPS Genre

-Doom was sought out to be bought by Microsoft
-Minecraft was actually bought by Microsoft.

-Minecraft sold over 50 Million copies
-Doom sold more copies / was installed more than Windows 95

I guess you can say that Minecraft is this generations "Doom".

Tuaam said:

Doom and Minecraft are similar in many ways:

-Doom was ported to multiple Computers, Consoles, and systems
-Minecraft was ported to many systems

-Minecraft has a massive modding community
-Doom has many mods, maps, wads

-Minecraft popularized the voxel - sandbox genre
-Doom popularized the FPS Genre

-Doom was sought out to be bought by Microsoft
-Minecraft was actually bought by Microsoft.

-Minecraft sold over 50 Million copies
-Doom sold more copies / was installed more than Windows 95

I guess you make some decent point's, but where was anyone talking about minecraft?

TheMightyHeracross said:

He probably mistook "MC" for Minecraft, somehow, rather than "Master Chief," which is what it meant.

Ooooooooooooh.

Well, I still rest my case.

BluePineapple72 said:

Doom and halo are different until doom can do this

Sort of reminds me of the Halo 5 vid where they made some pancakes and spatulas map.

Though would that be to Mario like if you could stack the enemies on top of each other?

Tuaam said:

Eh, maybe in terms of presence, but not in terms of actual gameplay by any means. Graphically they look similar at a glance, but the art style itself is quite different. There's a whole counter-culture thing going on with Doom that was more strongly felt in the old days as well and played a big role in it's appeal, no such thing is present with Minecraft. Additionally Minecraft is less like a 'traditional game' than Doom due to it's sandbox nature. There are some pretty vast differences between the two.

Now let me just go on the record and say I fucking love Minecraft, I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been an officially endorsed Doom texture pack released for home consoles. (The grass textures, dirt, rocks, water, lava.. It's all right there and ready!) With all that said, the two games satisfy completely different parts of the market.

I honestly don't feel like there IS a modern-day equivalent to what Doom was in the past. It was like the Elvis or Beatles of gaming.

Doomkid said:

I honestly don't feel like there IS a modern-day equivalent to what Doom was in the past. It was like the Elvis or Beatles of gaming.

I agree, there really isn't, and comically there still isn't.

You mean there isn't a modern game that is equivalent to Doom in terms of gameplay mechanics, experience and style? If that's the case then I'd agree, there isn't and if there is I am not aware of it.

Edit: Actually I am aware of Wrack, but I haven't played it yet, so I don't know.

In case it's in terms of influence, don't you think that COD has influenced modern gaming a lot?