Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kuchitsu

Cool bands you discovered through Doom and pwads

Talk about artists and bands you listen to because you've heard a midi of their song in Doom once. Here are some of mine:

Pantera (iwads)
Nine Inch Nails (many 90s wads, e4m1 secret)
The Sisters of Mercy (Scythe 2)
Peter Gabriel (Doomworld Mega Project 2012)
Soda Stereo (Eviltech, Favilesco Alpha E2)
Depeche Mode (NDCP2, Serenity)

I don't listen to these guys buy Doom did introduce me to Alice in Chains and Pantera.
Quake is where I heard of Nine Inch Nails. One of my favs of course.

Symphony X and Linkin Park come to mind back when I was a kid and I heard some midis in wads, definitely made me evolve a music taste that leans towards the former. :P
I've also heard a lot of Castlevania tracks before I even knew what Castlevania was, so I'm grateful for that as well.

Discovered, and/or got interested in a few bands this way, actually.

Nine Inch Nails - I already knew about these guys growing up, but hearing "Last" in Dwango5 and "Head Like a Hole" (which I didn't know was by them at the time) in a random wad made me become more interested in the group.

Carcass - the use of some of their songs in Vex-Doom was my first exposure to the band, though it would be a few years before I started listening to them for real. I really enjoyed the "Heartwork" midi from the outset though, and the real song kills, of course.

Symphony X - their songs featured in Scythe were also my first exposure to the band. Again, it'd be a few years before I stated listening to them regularly. "A Fool's Paradise" is up there as one of my favorite Symphony X songs, probably due to this phenomenon.

The Sisters of Mercy - like a few have mentioned already, hearing their music in Scythe 2 was how I discovered them, but it'd actually be quite a long time (close to a decade) before I hear any of their actual albums. The '92 version of "Temple of Love" is OOOOAAAHHH.

Dream Theater - this is a minor one, but I heard "Pull Me Under" first in Doom 2 X-Treme Gold's map12, and thought it was pretty cool then. I mostly got into the band on my own accord, however (with some friends' suggestions).

There's probably a few others I'm forgetting, but these are the ones that came to mind the quickest.

None, those midis are more listenable than originals they are based on anyway.

After playing Chillax i found such awesome bands as 'Knightrider of Doom' and 'DragonForce'.
Their music kicks ass

Oops, I forgot to mention Alice in Chains in my post. Too bad I can't find a midi of Rain When I Die, it would make a kickass soundtrack for a level I think.

For The Sisters of Mercy I highly recommend checking out other songs besides the three from Scythe 2. Nine While Nine and Some Kind of Stranger are very impressive and emotional, Dominion - Mother Russia is catchy as hell, etc.

j4rio said:

Oh yeah, I know that feeling! I've had many disappointments like that. For instance, Hurt by Nine Inch Nails is much cooler in the midi form imo. It sounds so atmospheric and tribal perhaps, but then you listen to the original and it' just some emo song... A good song but still.

The two that stand out to me are NIN and Alice in Chains, playing doom2/dwango5 will do that to a youngn.

There are plenty of individual songs I like that I first heard through WADs as well. When I was a kid I tended to prefer the MIDI versions, but in terms of rock/heavy music, my ears grew more attracted to a 'raw' sound, so long as it's done right.

Alice in Chains mostly, NIN i already knew since i played a racing game that had a song of them and i loved it, but still the midi versions are great to hear.

Pretty much every band you can think of, I'm not the kind of person who listens to real bands frequently, so the first time I heard Symphony X, Dream Theater, Nightwish and other similar artists I though "maybe I should listen to their actual songs, and search for other similar bands".

I used to only listen to classic rock.

Doom introduced me to thrash metal and heavy metal.

Judas Priest, Slayer, Pantera, Metallica, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Megadeth, S.O.D, and some AC/DC songs I've never heard before.

From there I got exposed to Exodus, Testament, Sodom (through SGTMarkIV, it's a really kickass band IMHO), Skelator (through TerminusEst13's kickass Demonsteele trailer.), Godsmack (probably through Freeman's Mind. =P), Iron Maiden, Dio, Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, and then I discovered Stratovarius through Dragon Ball Z....

And Stratovarius is awesome! Seriously I love Stratovarius!

And then I also discovered Demon fairly recently. I'm addicted to this song by the way.

I can thank Doom for introducing me to heavy metal and thrash metal. It also introduced me to grunge through Soundgarden as well.

Outshined is E3M2. So yeah.

A bit off-topic, but I wish there was a mod where you could play as a demon ninja who wields a giant sword like the Buster Sword or something hacking and slashing through demons and other enemies, with a dedicated music wad of 80's metal stuff.

You could even hold a kunai in your mouth and slash the hell out of people, throw shuriken, stuff like that. That would be badass and cool. It'd be like playing as Zabuza from Naruto. Zabuza is one of my favorite characters from Naruto. (Well besides Kakashi and Naruto obviously. =P)

Azuruish said:

After playing Chillax i found such awesome bands as ... 'DragonForce'.

Heh.

My old roommate got me a CD of theirs and a Rob Zombie CD for christmas years ago; guess if they've been opened. Thought don't count when you put none into it o.O

As for a cool song I discovered through Doom, "My Darkest Cave" by oomph! makes for a nice Doom song, as used by Ed in Smothered Hope, which was a very fun level. Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to Warp House.

Fonze said:

Heh.

oi :p

Anyway, not what the OP asked but on similar lines, I wouldn't have discovered Rogue Legacy if it weren't for the music on Estranged MAP28. Turned out to be a pretty good game. Interestingly, the need for the MIDI version I made of that song came just a day after I first played the game.

j4rio said:

tell that to all those ungodly terrible NIN MIDIs out there. seriously. they are terribly terrible to listen to, and maybe one of the contributing factors to me not having finished Herian 2 yet (the other reason being it's extraordinarily stupidly convoluted to figure out.)

i don't think Doom introduced me to that many new bands that i've adored. i think i got into it more myself by listening to independent electronic musicians, and Guitar Hero 2. but, a lot of MIDIs in Doom of popular music can be pretty cool, and i think that's how i found out about U96's Das Boot remix. and most of the community's musicians are fantastic, but i don't think that is what this thread is about, though.

Pedro VC said:

I also became a fan of Temple of Love because of Scythe 2. Cool song.

After listening to the original version just now, I may also have to consider picking up a Sisters of Mercy album....

I remember a popular Nine Inch Nails music WAD floating around the DOOM community in the 90's. Many authors used it to accompany their WADs or copied individual songs from it ("Closer" was, of course, the most common). And then there's the Quake soundtrack, so Nine Inch Nails. Other than that, in my twenty or so years of DOOM fandom, can't really say I've discovered many bands through DOOM pwads.

Billy Idol (area51.wad map02)

The Cure (Eviltech map30)

Emerson, Lake & Palmer (City of Doom) - heard a bit before but got really interested only after this wad

Edgar Winter Group (megawad.wad e1m2)

On 3/30/2016 at 7:12 PM, Bashe said:

Dream Theater - this is a minor one, but I heard "Pull Me Under" first in Doom 2 X-Treme Gold's map12, and thought it was pretty cool then. I mostly got into the band on my own accord, however (with some friends' suggestions).

Dream Theater kicks ass. Pull Me Under is probably my favorite song by them, and it so happens to be off their best album ever Images & Words. That whole album is incredible and really ahead of its time. I already knew and loved the band but These Walls from Octavarium was also used in Whitemare 2.

On 3/31/2016 at 11:37 PM, Suitepee said:

After listening to the original version just now, I may also have to consider picking up a Sisters of Mercy album....

There is a pwad out there with only music of SOM, but I just can't remember the name. Anyone?

SOM is really passé (I must have everything they brought out somewhere here), but for some doom they can still join the play.

Prior to Back To Saturn X, I had no idea who "Guided By Voices" were. Flash forward to present day and I've since gotten quite acquainted with their vast catalog (Including frontman Robert Pollard's solo and collab records). I'm even probably going to get a chance to see them live for the first time this December at a smaller venue!

Sorry to bump, but recently I learned about certain tracks in the Plutonia midi pack being real songs given the Bobby Prince treatment (only slightly more blatant). I especially like Seasons of Insanity, save for just one line in its lyrics I could do without.

Metallica (!)

OK here's the story

I was born 1979

Something like own musical taste started in my teens, I had good knowledge of European Classical music, I started enjoying 70's, blues rock-based bands and then more "progressive", "artistic" bands such as King Crimson and, of course, VDGG between others.

Grunge was extremely popular in my country back then, but I barely listened to it.

Bands with heavy sound were not really compatible with my taste. I did enjoy some of them, the old ones, such as Black Sabbath, medium-aged ones (Iron Maiden), or the contemporary ones (Alice in Chains). I heard Metallica, but I discarded them straight away as too primitive and of course I disliked the vocals.

In 1999 I probably only knew Enter Sandman and Nothing Else Matters and didn't bother about the first three albums at all!

Then in 2010 I played NaturalTvventy's WADs with Metallica MIDIs.

This made me change my opinion and I think Orion is great and the whole Master of Puppets is pretty cool.

End of story.