Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
antares031

No signs of Spider Mastermind for Doom 2016 yet?

Spider Mastermind is one of my favorite monsters from the original Doom since I was young, and I was really pissed off when I realized that they cut the Spider Mastermind and Arachnotrons in Doom 3, despite the fact that they made a concept art of them. Now we have less than 2 months for official release, and for some reason, I haven't found any signs of Spider Mastermind or Arachnotron for upcoming Doom. If they're not going to add spider demons, I'll never buy the brand-new Doom. Does anybody know any info about spider demons for Doom 2016?

This whole topic is a potential spoiler mine for those who don't want to be spoiled, but, well, I don't know how to operate the spoiler tags if there are even any here, so i'll just space this out instead. Though to be honest, if two enemy types are what's keeping you from buying a game altogether, then you're a very fickle person about this stuff.

Spoiler

yes there was an unfinished spider mastermind model in the alpha leaks, but I can't post any proof of it since that breaks NDA and could get Bethesda knocking on Doomworld again. apparently code indicates it'd have psychic attacks, kind of like how the spider mastermind originally was planned to use magic alongside its chainguns in the original. whether it's been cut or what is a different story altogether for the final product but it's definitely in heavy enough consideration that it had significant coding and a basis of a model done. No traces of Arachnotrons though.

Spoiler

There were some leaks during the alpha and amomg them was a screenshot of a spider mastermind's untexturized 3D model.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

That leak might be a model for Arachnotron though .

I think it said otherwise in the code that was leaked and the model was way too big to be an Arachnotron. There's still a big chance they might not use the model at all, use it as the arachnotron or ditch them from the final game completely, which would suck.

RikohZX said:

This whole topic is a potential spoiler mine for those who don't want to be spoiled, but, well, I don't know how to operate the spoiler tags if there are even any here, so i'll just space this out instead. Though to be honest, if two enemy types are what's keeping you from buying a game altogether, then you're a very fickle person about this stuff.

Spoiler

yes there was an unfinished spider mastermind model in the alpha leaks, but I can't post any proof of it since that breaks NDA and could get Bethesda knocking on Doomworld again. apparently code indicates it'd have psychic attacks, kind of like how the spider mastermind originally was planned to use magic alongside its chainguns in the original. whether it's been cut or what is a different story altogether for the final product but it's definitely in heavy enough consideration that it had significant coding and a basis of a model done. No traces of Arachnotrons though.

Could you PM me some pictures of said model? Just out of curiosity.

Anyway, I feel as if we are going to get the Spider Mastermind, Icon of Sin, and something much bigger, something much more nastier, and something that's going to scare the shit out of us...

I mean we've only seen the tip of the iceberg that is Doom (2016). Who knows what's waiting for us on May 13th?

Xerge said:

Spoiler

There were some leaks during the alpha and amomg them was a screenshot of a spider mastermind's untexturized 3D model.

To add to this:

Spoiler

In the leaks there was an achievement list and it explicitly mentions defeating the Spider Mastermind and the order of it implies it's the final boss.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

That leak might be a model for Arachnotron though .

Not at that size.

DoomzRules said:

Could you PM me some pictures of said model? Just out of curiosity.

Anyway, I feel as if we are going to get the Spider Mastermind, Icon of Sin, and something much bigger, something much more nastier, and something that's going to scare the shit out of us...

I mean we've only seen the tip of the iceberg that is Doom (2016). Who knows what's waiting for us on May 13th?

PM sent!

Spoiler

anyone here have a list of all the leaks from the game or send a link my way

Spoiler

don't care if i have to go to reddit or anything at this point

Almonds said:

Spoiler

anyone here have a list of all the leaks from the game or send a link my way

Spoiler

don't care if i have to go to reddit or anything at this point

I have a whole folder full. Will PM you with the deets

PS: the beta install has some very interesting strings in gameresource.index, for anyone who want's to check them out. Just download a hex editor and open the file.

The interesting thing is: there is also quite some stuff missing which was unknown till the alpha leak, while some new stuff is in there.

tuo said:

there's new stuff in the exe file

yeah alright so they're obviously aware of what is going on at this point at they expect people to do it.

Almonds said:

yeah alright so they're obviously aware of what is going on at this point at they expect people to do it.

I don't have the .exe file yet, so I couldn't check that one.

But there is also stuff in there which at least wasn't mentioned before (like ammo types and stuff like that), but basically everything missing that "WOWed" the people who red the spoilers from the first leak. If they took that stuff out completely (like for example the - I hope I can say that - the new file makes no mention at all of the Harvester, which obviously was removed from the game) or simply removed it to not give us more leaks...we will see in May :)

Oh oh please PM me the spider, too? And other things? It won't spoil my experience - I knew Han Solo died in Episode 7 prior and it didn't deter me from watching it a bunch of times, after all. And though you won use him in Snapmap, it's tgat designers' POV tgat keeps me from feeling g 'spoiled.'

BLAH BLAH LEAKED IMAGES BLAH BLAH

Though my main question is why did they change the way the Pinky looks? In the Campaign Trailer it doesn't look this scary IMHO.

MetroidJunkie said:

I was disappointed that it was removed from Doom 3, even though the model they made for it was pretty badass.

http://klonsemann.de/stuff/mastermind_walk_forward.gif

That's a mod. It was only animated in walking motion, nothing more. IIRC, it was never released in the mod a working enemy.

It is very close to the original design concept though...(who knows, maybe it's close to that untextured model people are talking about...)

DoomzRules said:

BLAH BLAH LEAKED IMAGES BLAH BLAH

Though my main question is why did they change the way the Pinky looks? In the Campaign Trailer it doesn't look this scary IMHO.

They only retextured it, that's how it looked from the Singleplayer trailer .

DoomzRules said:

Please remove that before the mods do it. That is content from the leak, and Bethesda/id won't allow that. You are only hurting the forum by posting this!

Besides: check your leaks...there are different variants of monsters, and in this case, check the official video again. Very closely. Or even the one where the spectred one uncloaks during the original E3 hell singleplayer gameplay. It's the same with the Baron under different lighting conditions.

tuo said:

Please remove that before the mods do it. That is content from the leak, and Bethesda/id won't allow that. You are only hurting the forum by posting this!

I don't get what ID and Bethesda have against it, anyway, unless they're worried that seeing monsters in this state will turn people off of the game. Anything that gives them more publicity should be a good thing.

tuo said:

It is very close to the original design concept though...(who knows, maybe it's close to that untextured model people are talking about...)

Now that you mentioned it, it definitely looks very different. I guess I should have used this instead:

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Don't worry, AirRaid will get rid of it, likewise :P

Yeah, but it is unneeded work for a mod because we behave like we are stupid. Only leads to stricter rules and people wandering off to Reddit or something. We already got the yellow flag from Bethesda, there is no need to do it again and give the mods unneeded problems. I guess they have better things to do than caring about the stupidity of us.

MetroidJunkie said:

I don't get what ID and Bethesda have against it, anyway, unless they're worried that seeing monsters in this state will turn people off of the game. Anything that gives them more publicity should be a good thing.

Quite simple:
take the Screenshot posted for example. It is spawned in multiplayer mode. No shadowing, no self-shadowing. Doesn't look that impressive compared to what we see from official screenshots or singleplayer videos. That is ONE point where people might say "bah, it looks much worse, I wait".

Second: with the original leak, there were tons of infos regarding enemies we didn't hear about. For example the spider mastermind. Now people are posting that there was a leak (which I didn't see) that it is the final boss (allthough the leak pointed to something different as beeing the final boss, IMHO). Now all of that is missing, and the spider mastermind was the only spawnable model without textures (others could not be spawned at all).

In the next .exe or gameresource.index, all hints for it might be missing (we don't know yet). As the OP says, he is only interested in this game, if the Spider Mastermind is in it.
If there would have never been a leak at all, he might buy the game.
If he takes the absence of it's name from the beta as "it won't be in there", he might not buy the game.

I can understand why companies want rumour control in their hands.

At the same time, I can understand myself, as I am very interested and will dig through those ressources.

Still, the Alpha had a very clear NDA, which we are breaking in this case. As the beta does not have one => let's go :)

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Believe or not, It has almost same height of player .

If killed....? ;)

NDA or not, they probably should have seen this coming. That's the risk you take when you release an Alpha to anyone in the public and why would they have this stuff in the Alpha's files at all unless they were prepared to take that risk of someone finding it? This isn't exactly like Quakecon where they had strict control over the footage, only the press were allowed, and they were instantly kicked out if they even thought you might be recording, this is people in the comfort of their own homes getting access to this. Did they really think everyone would just follow the honor system? I'm not saying keep the image up and let the forum burn, I just find Bethesda/ID's logic in this to be incredibly flawed. If you don't want people finding it in the files, you shouldn't have had it in the files to begin with.