Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BluePineapple72

DOOM - Fight Like Hell Cinematic Trailer

Fun fact: This trailer was directed by Joe Kosinski, the director of TRON: Legacy and Oblivion.

Also, this trailer is smack dab at the top of the iMDB home page:

Bethesda sure has some marketing muscle.

Wow... Awesome shit right there.

I'm not sure if anyone else said this, but I love how it portrays the various damage Doomguy has on his suit and how it happened.
And how it seems like Doomguy is determined to go forward at all costs.

My favourite moment: When Doomguy charges that hulking behemoth like there's no tomorrow.

The ST is a bit funny though, and gosh, what a weird Cyberdemon roar!

BluePineapple72 said:

At 0:16 there's a lost soul in some weird church room

LOST SOUL ATTACK CONFIRMED!
Same as always.

Edit- Anyone noticed that the SSG fired two shots individually? Could there be a some Single Shot mod for it?

TheMightyHeracross said:

This was live action?

Live action would certainly explain why the Doomguy moves so slowly in this trailer - seriously, that execution he pulled on the Imp early in the trailer took an eternity compared with how fast they appear to be ingame.

Jaxxoon R that is fucking amazing, You have truly shown Identification Software the path of righteous music.

Seriously though I think this game looks fun even in spite of the little details like slower movement and whatnot. Striking that balance between D2 and D3 could not have been easy but they seem to be hitting that mark rather well. Not long to wait, now!

Voros said:

Edit- Anyone noticed that the SSG fired two shots individually? Could there be a some Single Shot mod for it?

Or could it be that this is a cinematic CGI trailer and that was done for effect?

AirRaid said:

Or could it be that this is a cinematic CGI trailer and that was done for effect?

Maybe...
IMO, there was plenty of effect.
Edit- does the Revenant's... vest seem white instead of metallic? Like truely white, as in Doom 2?

...yes, guys, it's live action. That's why is specifically says it's a live action trailer in the description for the video. Also, that's the reason it looks, ya know, live action. Which makes people's complaints extra hilarious. A guy in the Youtube comments was whining about the animations for the Marine, because they literally don't go outside and see other people often enough to know what a moving human looks like.

That's one of the most awkward and weird Trailers I've ever seen.

Similar to Steven Seagal's Against the Dark—whole movie of Seagal running in hallways, literally.

Dat music doh....

This is the first DOOM4 trailer I've watched since the 2014 teaser (it's not in-game so whatever) and I love it. It's actually pretty decent for live-action considering 99% of those are downright terrible. I like it that the Doomguy is badass but he still gets his ass kicked. He's not on a demon-killing vacation, he's fighting to survive (at least that's what I see in the footage).

And what the hell is up with people bitching about the music? I usually hate it when some random song is used for promotion but this one fits the trailer pretty damn well. I'm actually surprised because I have zero problems with a non-OST track in this particular case. So I guess I'm juvenile and my taste is horrible.

Touchdown said:

This is the first DOOM4 trailer I've watched since the 2014 teaser (it's not in-game so whatever) and I love it. It's actually pretty decent for live-action considering 99% of those are downright terrible. I like it that the Doomguy is badass but he still gets his ass kicked. He's not on a demon-killing vacation, he's fighting to survive (at least that's what I see in the footage).

And what the hell is up with people bitching about the music? I usually hate it when some random song is used for promotion but this one fits the trailer pretty damn well. I'm actually surprised because I have zero problems with a non-OST track in this particular case. So I guess I'm juvenile and my taste is horrible.

I think it's the beginning of the song. It sounds strange in a Doom game.

Touchdown said:

And what the hell is up with people bitching about the music?

I feel personally insulted by the devs when a product for adults is advertised using kiddy angst rock...

Touchdown said:

And what the hell is up with people bitching about the music?

Something to do with the fact that it seems most of the Doom community is made up of angsty "Metalhead elitists" who are stubbornly unable to see past their genre of choice and thus deride anything that isn't some flavor of metal (Metalcore and NuMetal not withstanding) as "kiddy fake metal," whether it was ever considered to be metal or not, and is something to deride and call out as belonging to some stereotype group of supposed dickheads while they themselves are some stereotype group of supposed dickheads.

Or something like that, I don't know.

GoatLord said:

I feel personally insulted by the devs when a product for adults is advertised using kiddy angst rock...

If that's what personally insults you then you have priority issues, it seems. Or something like that.

Captain Ventris said:

...yes, guys, it's live action. That's why is specifically says it's a live action trailer in the description for the video. Also, that's the reason it looks, ya know, live action. Which makes people's complaints extra hilarious. A guy in the Youtube comments was whining about the animations for the Marine, because they literally don't go outside and see other people often enough to know what a moving human looks like.

Besides, this guy is wearing a bulky suit which is likely heavy and uncomfortable and impairs his movement enough that he has to move more ponderously for it to look cool as opposed to trying to move faster and stumbling about more (which would kill any "cool effect").

With that in mind, I gotta say that they pulled off this trailer really damned well.

Touchdown said:
I like it that the Doomguy is badass but he still gets his ass kicked. He's not on a demon-killing vacation, he's fighting to survive (at least that's what I see in the footage).

You raise an excellent point and that just went and made me enjoy the trailer even more.
*Goes to watch the trailer again, now with this excellent observation in mind*

Touchdown said:

Thank you! For saying that the doomguy is fighting to survive despite his effort to move forward towards whatever his goal is. Despite his strengh and skills, he's still a man. For some reason people here ( not all but most) tgink that the doomguy is some ultimate demonslaying superhuman but in a sense i guess he is when he's using berserker packs...

Also, wasn't doom originaly supposed to be angst, juvenile, and violent? I mean the devs even mentioned that the box art was made like a kid made it on his math class.

The doom community *thinks* they know what they're talking about when it comes to doom and music, yet most think the whole game was metal. Maybe they just fucking suck and couldn't get passed E1M1.

GoatLord said:

by the devs

I thought the guys behind this awful choice of music are the Failthesda marketing team.

Clonehunter said:

Something to do with the fact that it seems most of the Doom community is made up of angsty "Metalhead elitists" who are stubbornly unable to see past their genre of choice and thus deride anything that isn't some flavor of metal (Metalcore and NuMetal not withstanding) as "kiddy fake metal," whether it was ever considered to be metal or not, and is something to deride and call out as belonging to some stereotype group of supposed dickheads while they themselves are some stereotype group of supposed dickheads.

If that's what personally insults you then you have priority issues, it seems. Or something like that.

Obviously I'm being dramatic, but in terms of advertising, I do find it incredibly insulting if the folks behind the ad are selling me an adult product but treating me like a child in the process.

And HellVain, you make a good point about how the OG Doom is juvenile and angsty, but metal, like any genre, can go from perfectly fine to "plug my ears with candle wax NOW." Like for instance, Kenny J and Miles Davis both play jazz, but more than likely their music will elicit very different reactions depending on the listener. To someone like me, one sounds corny and underwhelming, the other, authentic and intense. See where I'm going?

GoatLord said:

Obviously I'm being dramatic, but in terms of advertising, I do find it incredibly insulting if the folks behind the ad are selling me an adult product but treating me like a child in the process.

Agreed. Why didn't they use Morbid Angel, Pantera, Megadeth, old-school Metallica, or Slayer? Seriously!!! Doom is about death metal, thrash metal, and awesome shit! Not about some angsty juvenile-sounding crap.....

Remixing a classic Doom theme would have been perfect, it'd stay "family friendly" but it wouldn't feel insulting to hardened Doom fans. To an extent, the FCC is going to restrict what kind of ads you can make but they could have done better with this.

I think "bitching" about some aspect of the game is as fair as praise them.

I've read people praising and complaining just based on their own taste, and once in a while there is a good argument for why something is good or something is bad but it gets buried under "bitching" or people "bitching" about people "bitching".

It's a new Doom game, obviously the expectations are high and discontent and disappointment is something to expect at different levels.

having watched several times, the music has grown on me. high tempo drums and guitar sounds good to me. the lightning outside was pretty cool also, as was the church part. i hope the enviorments are awesome.

like someone else said, soo much better than the doom movie.

Pavera said:

Everyone here calling Refused nu metal...really needs to do some homework.
----
Granted, a 1-minute bastardization of New Noise isn't going to sell them very well, but The Shape of Punk to Come is an excellent album with a variety of hardcore/punk stylings.

Champskiez103 said:

You should listen to the album.
It was a fusion of punk, jazz, metal, classical..

I like some of those albums from the nu-metal era, but I wouldn't
compare them to Refused.

I dig metal, punk, lots of stuff, but I hadn't happened to have heard this album, and I thought huh this sounds like Disturbed or something in the trailer. Just missing the "ooh-a-a-a-ah!".

It is interesting to find out it's a post-hardcore/hardcore punk band, but it's also telling that everybody thinks it sounds like nu-metal. The lines are sometimes blurry on what makes something what genre it's considered.

I love thrash metal for example, and of course there's crossover, and sometimes it can be hard to even understand what makes one band metal and another punk. It's labels, and largely I can't say the sound in the trailer is representative of what I personally would call hardcore punk. For me that would be say Agnostic Front.

TheWizard said:

The doom community *thinks* they know what they're talking about when it comes to doom and music, yet most think the whole game was metal. Maybe they just fucking suck and couldn't get passed E1M1.

Even slower Doom songs would usually borrow a riff from a metal song by Pantera or Slayer etc. And of course, metal albums have slower or mid-tempo songs on them too.

Captain Ventris said:

How do you know they literally don't go outside? Are you in the NSA? =P In a live-action trailer where 90% of it is CGI (the monsters, most of the enviroments I'd imagine), is it far-fetched that somebody might assume the armored marine is mo-capped CGI as well? Your assumption is this means they don't see other humans in real life? That's quite the leap. And if I wasn't supposed to take this literally, well... you did say literally.

Trailer is pretty fun, I dig the lightning and whatnot, cool touches.

I don't know if I'm the first to say this but NuDoomguy's armor isn't really close to looking like MC's so much as it looks a lot like the armor isaac clarke dons from dead space

the plates at the lower parts of the legs and the setup in the back for example are especially reminiscent of the blue thingy that displays health that he had

PsychoGoatee said:

...It is interesting to find out it's a post-hardcore/hardcore punk band, but it's also telling that everybody thinks it sounds like nu-metal. The lines are sometimes blurry on what makes something what genre it's considered. ... I love thrash metal for example, and of course there's crossover, and sometimes it can be hard to even understand what makes one band metal and another punk...

Every genre of music is subject to micro-compartmentalization. Metal in particular, with its fan base being mostly a bunch of dorks, is supremely guilty of this. Where do you draw the line between deathgrind and brutal death metal? Or post-thrash and groove metal? How about those bands that think they're cool because they play "melodic technical progressive death metal"? It gets absurd. The song used in this trailer has lots of power chords, distortion and screaming, so it makes it hard not to want to lump it in X or Y genre. It goes to show how pointless labels are, although the anthropological aspect of it fascinates me.

GoatLord said:

Every genre of music is subject to micro-compartmentalization. Metal in particular, with its fan base being mostly a bunch of dorks, is supremely guilty of this. Where do you draw the line between deathgrind and brutal death metal? Or post-thrash and groove metal? How about those bands that think they're cool because they play "melodic technical progressive death metal"? It gets absurd. The song used in this trailer has lots of power chords, distortion and screaming, so it makes it hard not to want to lump it in X or Y genre. It goes to show how pointless labels are, although the anthropological aspect of it fascinates me.

+1 for melodic technical progressive death metal :p

Almonds said:

I don't know if I'm the first to say this but NuDoomguy's armor isn't really close to looking like MC's so much as it looks a lot like the armor isaac clarke dons from dead space

the plates at the lower parts of the legs and the setup in the back for example are especially reminiscent of the blue thingy that displays health that he had

It really doesn't look that close to MC, that's just the modern mind making associations. Just compare this new armor with the original Doomguy's armor and Quake's Doomguy's armor. The shapes and proportions are much closer to that than to MC, as they should be.

The problem is actually just the modern minds which are contained within modernism, the only similarities I see are that both armors are green, that both are full-body armors and that both helmets have visors.

Clonehunter said:

Or you know...the song just sucks.

Personally, I like the Tom Jones edit that Jaxxoon R posted the best, the blitz of Doom action is perfectly juxtaposed by It's Not Unusual for great comedic effect.