Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
999cop

How much money will id make off of Doom 2016?

Probably not enough to make up for the enormous dev cycle and the huge hole that id has been burning in the ZeniMax purse for years, which might spell "DOOM" for future id projects :P I could still see id the game studio closing down and merging with Bethesda while the new "id" tech studio remains if this doesn't turn out to be the miracle game they're hoping for and then some.

Hopefully enough to make either a nice Old Blood sized expansion or standalone piece

Hopefully enough to make a sequel to Quake

Hopefully enough to make another sequel to Doom

Hopefully, HOPEFULLY, enough, period.

*cues impression of Donald Trump*

They are going to make a YUUUUUUUUGE amount of money. A billion billion billion bing bing bong bong bing bing bong bong billion billion billion trillion small loan of a million dollars.

*ends impression*

I know the answer to that question:

not enough-------------------------------------------------------more than enough
[**********************************************----------------------]

Hopefully enough to fund the game we REALLY want: Fallout 5: Old and Bloated.

wheresthebeef said:

Hopefully enough to make a sequel to Quake

I can never see Quake being re-imagined. And Quake 4 sucked big, floppy donkey balls.

I think they will sell maybe 2 million copies, max, over the lifetime of the game. So somewhere south of $120 million in revenue (since the game will inevitably be reduced in price over its lifetime).

If we assume that id had maybe, oh, 200 employees(?) working on the game for ~3 years, at an average cost of around $150k/employee when all is said and done (benefits, etc.), then, over 3 years, it will have cost them about $90 million to make.

Total profit on this game IMO will be somewhere south of $30 million, especially given that the calculations above don't include marketing costs (though the marketing effort here doesn't seem to be much; basically using YouTubers to promote the game).

This actually wouldn't be bad considering ZeniMax probably paid ~$100 mil for id. A couple of games like this and they'll get their money back.

Trycon said:

I'm hoping that they make enough so that they can continue making games.

This. I hope it turns out too be the next big thing in the computer game world. But seriously, that is some high fantasy hopes.

Plasma Gun said:

I think they will sell maybe 2 million copies, max, over the lifetime of the game. So somewhere south of $120 million in revenue (since the game will inevitably be reduced in price over its lifetime).

If we assume that id had maybe, oh, 200 employees(?) working on the game for ~3 years, at an average cost of around $150k/employee when all is said and done (benefits, etc.), then, over 3 years, it will have cost them about $90 million to make.

Total profit on this game IMO will be somewhere south of $30 million, especially given that the calculations above don't include marketing costs (though the marketing effort here doesn't seem to be much; basically using YouTubers to promote the game).

This actually wouldn't be bad considering ZeniMax probably paid ~$100 mil for id. A couple of games like this and they'll get their money back.

You forget the development time from the Call of Doom-Doom 4, that went down the drain. 2 Million is optimistic, if you ask me.

I HOPE they sell 2 million, actually I hope they sell even more, or drop enough good DLCs to make more money.

I preordered the collectors edition on two platforms, so don't mistake me for a negative person, mind you. But I also wait until I have the game on my screen, as my main incentive is the single player campaign.

I hope they have enough opportunities for DLC if the game is really good (even if the DLCs are already finished and simply left out...we are all old enough to understand that that's how it works today most of the time).

What I hope even more so, is that this 60 FPS, Full-HD-Resolution Engine get's licensed like it used to be with iD-Engines. Especially the XBox One (allthough I don't own one) might use such an engine that can dish out high graphical fidelity at 1080p and 60 fps so that not EVERY new AAA-review has at least two stories per site per week at how the Playstation 4 has it, and the XBone not (I own a Playstation 4, I love it, I still am a fan of competition, as it is necessary to keep things going).

The multiplayer seems solid from what I have played in the alpha and especially from what I have seen since then.

The singleplayer has to be judged when it's here. There is simply not enough material to make an early judgement. And my gut-feeling tells me that the singleplayer-part might be very important regarding the succes of Doom 2016.

Technician said:

Hopefully enough to fund the game we REALLY want: Fallout 5: Old and Bloated.
I can never see Quake being re-imagined. And Quake 4 sucked big, floppy donkey balls.

Actually there is talk in Bethesda about reimagining Quake next after Doom. They want to return to the Lovecraftian horror vibe of the original Quake, and considering how successful Bloodborne and other Lovecraftian style games are..... they'd be smart to cash in on it. =)

2 million is optimistic? Bethesda expects DOOM to be as culturally relevant as Skyrim. Skyrim ended up selling over 30 million copies, so I'm sure Bethesda is aiming for AT LEAST a 5-6 million copy seller.

I think it's possible too. There's a big marketing push starting up now, and I'm confident the game will be very well received. SnapMap also needs to catch on, which remains a big question mark though.

BluePineapple72 said:

At least over $120

Considering Bethesda only made $4.99 off of Skyrim, I highly doubt it.

ChickenOrBeef said:

Bethesda expects DOOM to be as culturally relevant as Skyrim.

Yeah right. My guess is that it will sell similar to RAGE. Which was what? 2-3 million range I think.

DoomzRules said:

Actually there is talk in Bethesda about reimagining Quake next after Doom. They want to return to the Lovecraftian horror vibe of the original Quake, and considering how successful Bloodborne and other Lovecraftian style games are..... they'd be smart to cash in on it. =)

Huh? Source?

DoomzRules said:

Thing is, how would they make it different from Doom? It needs to be different from Doom the same way Doom is different to Wolfenstein.

Enough money that no-one will really know how to react to the figure.

"Oh Doom sold 500,000 copies and made $30 million in it's first week? Uhhh... is that good or bad?"

Pegg said:

Why don't you ask ID on twitter instead of asking people who have no idea about it?

ZeniMax is private, so they don't disclose financials to the public. Even if they were, I doubt they would share internal sales targets on Twitter.

The best we can do is guess.

I would argue that the game might sell even if for no other reason than that it's awesome. Game has best gunplay I have experienced in years.

AnonimVio said:

It won't sell well, I sure of that.

The fact that Overwatch will be released at the same month as Doom isn't a good sign either...

But hey, competition's a good thing, right?

Probably no-one slagged off the new Doom more than I did. After years of no news, dodgy screenshots that were denied by id (but which now appear to have been genuine?), changes of staff, the departure of key figures, then finally that closed gameplay demonstation more than a year ago with nothing whatsoever to follow it, everything stunk of one giant, pulsating, ultimate turd that would finish id and destroy the legacy of Doom under the weight of peanuts and disappointment.

Then we got a shitty five second teaser which made people cum in their trousers, over a clip of a Revenant, and it wasn't even that good quality. Five seconds of footage after years of silence.

Then the first full SP trailer erupted onto the internet, and I instantly came (it made the same sound as a corpse being crushed from PSX Doom).

The audience clearly loved and appreciated the trailer. I know I did. Then came the trailer set in that weird yellow place which I presume is supposed to be hell. In some ways, that one was even more awesome.

I doubt the new Doom will get anywhere near the success of the old one. There are far, far too many shooters, the industry is over-crowded and gamers are being bombarded with one legendary franchise after another.

That said, based on how the gameplay trailers look, and the very exciting map editor included, I think Doom will make a healthy amount of cash.

I'm gonna buy it full price, the first game in years I've paid full whack for.

DooM_RO said:

Thing is, how would they make it different from Doom? It needs to be different from Doom the same way Doom is different to Wolfenstein.

A similar setting to Quake 1 is different enough, I think. Lovecraftian horror is really trendy at the moment (Bloodborne, Darkest Dungeon, Salt and Sanctuary etc. pp.), and it would fit the bill quite nicely IF it is still a thing when they release it. Which I doubt somehow, as that theme is currently milked to no end.

Then again, apart from some monster names and the final boss, Quake didn't actually use that much of the Lovecraft lore. Even the Shambler had no similarity to the Dimensional Shamblers, allthough Shub Niggurath at least looked a little bit like it was inspired by the original Black Goat's description (the tentacles...the rest...not so much).

It has the possibility of doing well. It also has the possibility of doing horribly. Who knows. Regardless of the outcome, I am confident that it won't be the end of Doom. It is just too legendary of a franchise to let it sit and collect dust.

If Doom 4 sells horribly, then most likely id will be shut down or consolidated with some other more reliable studio, and the Doom franchise will be handed off to another studio like Machine Games.

I am still dreaming of the day when we finally get a proper Doom 2 remake. Life won't be perfect until we get that.