Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

[Contest] Doomworld Roulette: Session 3

1st Session: Thread / /idgames
2nd Session: Thread / /idgames (pending)

Welcome back to the shooting gallery! No jokes. The third edition of Roulette features more words and more ways to disappoint the judging panel with ham-fisted imaginings than ever before! The more things change, however, the more things stay the same: you'll once again be required to pick a number between 1 and 6 and spin some fancy level design using a theme from Jmickle66666666's map theme generator. There have been a couple of changes to the rule set, but the basics remain the same: Your imagination and reading comprehension remain your greatest assets.

Rules:

• Make a post in this thread that lays claim to any number listed 1 through 6. You will be assigned a pre-selected map theme generated using the map theme generator, and that theme and your name will appear in the OP.
  • The maps must be in Doom 2, Boom format.
  • You may use custom textures of your choosing, and up to 2 decorative sprite replacements. If you do use custom resources, you must include those resources in the wad file and remove any excess resources before upload.
  • You must list sources for any custom music and textures used.
  • You must provide a name for your map, and are encouraged to provide commentary on how you chose to interpret your given theme. All of these details will be pinned to the /idgames textfile.
  • The maps must be outfitted with thing placement for coop and have the skill settings implemented. You won't be expected to test it in coop for bugs, but it'd certainly be a help!
  • All maps must be in my hot little hands by 00:00 EST on the 18th of April. The chief condition is that they are able to be completed; you will be permitted to update the map without any major additions to its content until the final release to /idgames. Otherwise, that deadline is solid - no extensions, ye hear?
As with the previous session, only 12 maps will be selected for the final release, hence the contest label. A gaggle of judges are on standby, along with Critics Choice Mickle and his merry ways. Any maps that don't get selected are yours to dispense with, although I would suggest that you submit them to Jmickle's website for hosting.

Important!
Please note that one of the themes generated will be flagged as eccentric (designated in the map list - a cute little cylinder!). This means that it uses a unique set of words and phrases that don't appear in the regular, non-flagged generator. These words are "not useful, but funny." If you are (un)fortunate enough to have selected one of these chambers, then you'd better hustle up! Good luck!

GUN 1
  1. Jimmy - A Graveyard Melting over Simple Tropics
  2. gaspe - The Volcano in Wilds
  3. BrainMuncher - A Trigonometric Embargo saluting The Corvine Willy Wonka (v2)
  4. Megalyth - The Divine Boat dispersed into Slums
  5. Breezeep - A Moat below City Hall
  6. Obsidian - A Gateway Dropped into the Mist
GUN 2
  1. Pinchy - The Champagne Funeral packed into a Cannibalized Internet
  2. DoomLover234 - The Tavern Protruding from the Scarlet Jungle
  3. yakfak - A Cube imprisoned within the Damned Necropolis
  4. Rayzik - The Paddock below A Neon Crater (v2.4)
  5. Nirvana - A Synthetic Seashore
  6. NoisyVelvet - A Monorail stuffed into Clouds
GUN 3

Great to have you back, folks. Best of luck wheeling something out this time, Breezeep!

I was wondering when this was coming around again.

Once again, 2nd Gun 4th Chamber please! :D

Yeah!!!

... This makes me think that i still need to bring back that map from (finished) session 2...

Lord have mercy, there's some odd ones today! Pinchy called his number via IRC: good luck with that one, haha.

I must admit that this theme could very well be eccentric! At least it's not very hard to interpret; but expect my map to focus around caves and ravines, not just jungles (and of course, the fist in the eye that is protruding, the Tavern)!

Ooo i was wondering when the next session would be. I'm 95% sure that I zero free time throughout the next few weeks, but i'll still reserve a slot.

I'll take Gun 2 Chamber 6.

Is Gun 1 Chamber 3 being skipped because it's guaranteed eccentric?
I'd take Gun 1 Chamber 3 but I anticipate not completing a map and don't want to waste the opportunity for others.

NoisyVelvet said:

Is Gun 1 Chamber 3 being skipped because it's guaranteed eccentric?

To make heads or tails of such a theme as Gun 1 chamber 3 would be a task unto itself. What man would dare stand before this abomination, that which is by far the most outrageous theme ever spruced within the Doom World? He would surely be a courageous man, a champion man. A foolish man.

Godspeed, whoever rises to the challenge.

I'll take Gun 2 Chamber 5. Any rules as to size or placement throughout the wad? Is anyone tasked for instance with making a 'map 1' map or is the flow of the levels not really important to this?

It's not important, here. Ordinarily it's something I value a lot, but with the focus of the exercise being squarely on the designers' ability to fashion new ideas out of curveball themes, overall wad progression is a bonus. I'll arrange them in order of difficulty and length, roughly.

Quick screen of what I'm working on for my map. Not sure if the thread is just reserved for slot-taking. Sorry if so.

EDIT: Made some smaller trees that look a little less awkward than what I originally posted:

Will have to use them sparingly though (All of this is incredibly WIP.)

I thought the other trees were good too. They were immediately recognisable as a real-world object, which is an achievement in itself in doom. If there was anything to be improved it was that they were all the same, so I think you should use both kinds (and the palm tree)

Skip this post if you don't want to read about the challenges I've faced so far and how I overcame them.

This is my first time making a boom map, so I've been having fun with the boom features. Unfortunately "boom compatibility" for a source port does not seem to mean "works the same as it would in any other boom compatible port".

So I was making a raised conveyor with the hope of moving things along it. I was doing the invisible floor thing the old-school way, but it just never seemed to work right. I wasted a fair amount of time with different nodebuilders and whatnot and had basically what I wanted. Then I decided to test in zdoom to see if it worked there, since a lot of folks seem to use that. It was then I realised that scrolling floors don't work the same as they do in prboom. Things were falling off the conveyor, or ending up in the wrong place, and even with the "boom scrollers are additive" compatibility option (which I would rather not rely on) things weren't behaving exactly the same, and screwing up my plans. I couldn't use wind instead because it doesn't seem to move things.
In my attempts to somehow arrange things in a way that worked in both ports, I was fast descending into an infinitely complex quagmire of unclosed sectors and overlapping geometry when I realised boom has it's own way to do invisible floors. Great, this simplified the geometry a lot, and generally made editing easier.

The scroller problem was basically this:

Spoiler

With all those floors scrolling, in prboom when a thing is "in" two or more sectors at once, it gets the speed from both of the scrollers, while in zdoom it was only affected by one at a time. I tried impassable lines on the edges of the conveyor but the things would get stuck instead of sliding along them. So the answer to that was to make it a descending staircase, each stair 1 unit high. This seemed to prevent prboom from applying more than one scroll at once since it is only touching one floor at a time.

I still wanted some insurance against things falling off and couldn't use impassables, so I added even more scrollers, pointing towards the middle of the conveyor so that if they ever stray towards the edge they are pushed back in line:
Spoiler

All of this ended up requiring a rather large structure of control lines:
Spoiler

And now finally everything works fine in both ports! Here you see some blue heads happily riding along:
Spoiler

Are those everlasting gobstoppers? or are they that terrifying thing that people become when they eat that blueberry gum?

Anyways, as cool of a map theme that "Monorail stuffed into clouds" is, there is a 0% chance that I will actually put in meaningful time to work on this project over a multitude of other things I could be working on instead.

I'm tapping out.

Reminder to all those participating (and to those who aren't!) that there's a good week remaining before the deadline. If you're in two minds about taking part, now would be an ideal time to jump in as the weekend's still fresh. Guns and themes abound for the veteran and uninitiated alike!

just wanna say i'm actually working on a map and have been doing for about a week. let's not all abandon this thing, heee, I think the idea is really quite fun

https://www.dropbox.com/s/htcdpja6qfaw36n/doom47.bmp?dl=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/424rpwa0y7scth0/doom48.bmp?dl=1

sorry about using all stock textures - it was important to me that the map look interesting but not at all pretty!

yakfak said:

sorry about using all stock textures

I like the stock textures personally. Maps looks great by the way!

Not sure if I'm going to be able to make the due date for this. I've been working pretty hard on the map, but I have a lot of assignments due + work to contend with, so I think it's going to be tough to get it finished on time. Pretty bummed because I was trying to commit to getting something finished :(