Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Moon Marin

DOOM Beta FOV on PC

Seems the console is disabled or at least not enabled with the +com_allowconsole 1 launch property that the alpha was compatible with.

As of this time it seems there is no obvious way to change FOV for the PC crowd so i wanted to make this thread incase anyone has advice or manages to find a solution.

I suppose +g_fov x wouldn't have any effect in the launch properties? I don't really know enough about the commands to say one way or the other.

Post some info if you guys have any ideas or clues to fix this.

I ran into this as well. If there is a fix I do not know it.

Saw id.dav made a post about console being disabled in the official doom beta forums. I replied to it backing him up. 5 minutes later it was silently removed.

We are indeed getting a port.

PS
I really don't give a shit whether the fov setting is under "advanced" options. Its greyed out, I cannot use it, it may as well not exist. Why the fuck disable "advanced" options for a BETA anyway. Disgraceful id.

im with you on that one, no idea why the advanced options are grayed out and no idea why the console is disabled - maybe because of the leaks a few months ago?

still not having an FOV slider is asinine.

The leaks do not matter. Stuff will get cracked anyway. If anything disabling the console is something id planned all along.

They could explain it as the console being only for the original devs since snapmap is how doom4 is modded (/tear). However that approach should have a very simple consequence.

Actually offer every conceivable option through the menus. If you don't do that, especially with something as freaking basic as the fov, you can and should not disable the console. Its not rocket science really.

g_fov command works via launch options in Rage! It could be so in Doom as well!
I made topic on Beth forums since I wanted to set resolution lower than 720p, I still do not know what situation around gtx 750 ti in beta, but r_mode command works via launch options, so I already have 800x600 beta running!

For the time being add to command line:
+toggle r_skipMotionBlur 1
It is official cvar.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a spare PS4 beta code? My friend would really like to play the Doom Beta on his PS4 and I didn't really preorder Wolfenstein: TNO (I did buy it the day it came out though.) So yah....

DoomzRules said:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a spare PS4 beta code? My friend would really like to play the Doom Beta on his PS4 and I didn't really preorder Wolfenstein: TNO (I did buy it the day it came out though.) So yah....

This is for alpha:
FDLK-NRNH-8TP4
But try it!

id.dav said:

This is for alpha:
FDLK-NRNH-8TP4
But try it!

Thanks a ton man. I don't know if it'll work, but if it does or doesn't, eh. I mean if it works great. If not, my friend will just go to Gamestop and pick up a beta code, and then on Saturday we plan on playing the beta together (I'll probably play it at his place, since I don't have a PS4, I just have a Wii U and a PC. Still a huge Doom fan though.)

So yah. =3

Thanks man. =3

No FOV slider would be serious points off for me, but not having a way to change FOV at all?
That honestly might be a deal breaker. Super low FOV that's usually included in PC versions of console games tends to make me incredibly disoriented.

The Civ said:

No FOV slider would be serious points off for me, but not having a way to change FOV at all?
That honestly might be a deal breaker. Super low FOV that's usually included in PC versions of console games tends to make me incredibly disoriented.

The fov is like 80 I think? It hasn't bothered me at all I'm super sensitive to low fov

The consolized FOV is atrocious. I'm really disappointed that id Software released the beta without at least giving us PC folks some sort of FOV slider/option. Then again, this game is clearly being designed with consoles in mind, so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised. :-/

mistercow said:

The fov is like 80 I think? It hasn't bothered me at all I'm super sensitive to low fov

It's nowhere near 80. 65-70 tops.

it's definitely somewhere in that range. You constantly lose your opponents in close quarters because of it. I really hope there is a way to increase to about 100-120.

The lack of SLI and extreme amounts of texture pop-in gives me the sad feeling that those are permanent and will never be rectified, as they were in idtech5 games (it was a engine limitation alongside gpu transcoding woes). It's obvious the engine is still idtech5 under the hood, and anything that makes it idtech6 is purely cosmetic.

Looks like the PC performance crowd wanting to murder this game on SLI rigs or at resolutions at 4k and beyond are going to be out of luck again, like we were with other idtech5 games (RAGE and Wolf:NO/OB)

I run a 5960x oc'd to 4.5ghz, and twin Titan X 12GB gpu's in sli, 64GB of DDR4 on Win 10. Even at that, the game runs at complete ass on my 4k monitor, as it seemingly only using one gpu (though it does run insanely fast at 1080p, lol). The texture pop-in is clearly obvious... not as bad as rage, but still very much there. I could move the game over to my solid state drive and maybe improve that, or edit the cache preload file like you had to do for RAGE and Wolf:NO to reduce or eliminate the popin, but eh, too lazy to mess with it, and shouldn't have to.

the default FOV is 90 in the engine but it doesn't feel like 90.

on doom reddit someone mentioned that supposedly you can change the FOV if you go to steam -> right click doom closed beta -> properties -> set launch options now type '+set g_fov #' replace # with your preferred FOV.

setting it to 110 i think increased it some? its hard to tell honestly. i tried setting it to a silly value like 10 or 50 but it didn't seem to go that low, or the command just isn't working.

If i remember, someone said the game's engine is based on the one used for RAGE, i guess same commands from rage will work there , Also have you tried +set fs_game :v .

Buckshot said:

The lack of SLI and extreme amounts of texture pop-in gives me the sad feeling that those are permanent and will never be rectified, as they were in idtech5 games (it was a engine limitation alongside gpu transcoding woes). It's obvious the engine is still idtech5 under the hood, and anything that makes it idtech6 is purely cosmetic.

Looks like the PC performance crowd wanting to murder this game on SLI rigs or at resolutions at 4k and beyond are going to be out of luck again, like we were with other idtech5 games (RAGE and Wolf:NO/OB)

I run a 5960x oc'd to 4.5ghz, and twin Titan X 12GB gpu's in sli, 64GB of DDR4 on Win 10. Even at that, the game runs at complete ass on my 4k monitor, as it seemingly only using one gpu (though it does run insanely fast at 1080p, lol). The texture pop-in is clearly obvious... not as bad as rage, but still very much there. I could move the game over to my solid state drive and maybe improve that, or edit the cache preload file like you had to do for RAGE and Wolf:NO to reduce or eliminate the popin, but eh, too lazy to mess with it, and shouldn't have to.

That's....wow....I don't know what to say. I currently have problems starting the beta (alpha worked without problems), and in this rig I only have a single Titan (non-X). I planned to put an oc'd 980 TI in there from my driving simulator rig, and maybe add a second one for SLI to get Doom to 4K, but this sounds very disheartening :(

Is there still texture pop-in? I love Carmack and iD, but I can't wrap my head around the fact that one of the pioneers of 3D engines and a company with excellent software engineers (who can fill in for the missing Carmack) is not able to fix this problem. Guess my hopes for idTech6 beeing licensed in a broader range (similar to idTech 3 and 4) are nothing more than wishthinking.

Then again, it's still "only" beta, but I guess what we see now is very close to the final product.

I have not noticed any major texture popin in the beta. There's probably some minor effect somewhere but it's not noticable while you play.

Finally got in and played two games. Didn't notice any texture popin in normale gameplay.

I like the warpath mode.

I hate the FOV, and - I know this is kinda a meme around here by now - I was constantly searching for the "sprint" key. I don't know why, but movement felt slow :( Gonna have to play couple more games. I'm a little surprised, because I can't remember that I had this feeling with the alpha, and most people say that the beta movement is even faster than alpha. Dumbfounded why during the whole game it felt "slow".

Im well aware that this is only the beta. I believe the game will be much better when its finished. My opinion:

The good stuff
--> Warpath is unique and really fun. Lots of carnage!
--> The weapons feel good (as expected from a id software game)
--> The music
--> The game runs smooth for me. I have between 60-62 (with a few dips to 55). But, thats fine.
--> Haste powerup, this is how fast the game should be, imo :)
--> "The best looking game at 1080p, 60 fps". Im actually starting to agree with them about that.
--> Maps load very fast.

Now im just nitpicking, but some things that could be better in the final release
--> Yeah, i had to set the fov manually in steam (im on the only one). Im using +set com_skipIntroVideo 1 +set g_fov 120. This is a fps on pc and the fov-slider needs to be here. On a console and far away from the tv it works fine with low fov, but not on pc, imo.
--> I also have some texturepopin. I dont see them in game while playing, but in menus when selecting loadouts, if i browse between different weapons the textures takes some seconds to load. I dont know if this is a serverproblem or just with the engine itself. Because i have a 4gb vram video card (r9 290
--> And 2 bad you cant turn off motion blow? Not that i bothers me 2 much on low, but you should be able to turn it off in the final release.
--> Turning off hints. Its good for new players, but i dont really need them.
--> Gausscannon is way 2 powerful. You dont even need to have any skill 2 use it. And the aim dont need to be perfect either.
--> The demon (revenant) should also be nerfed. It can oneshot everything. Doesnt matter how much health or armor you have (2 or sometimes 1 rocket is enough and you are dead).
--> Why does the music stop when you start the match? Whats the point only having music in the lobby?

My specs:
i5 4570s
r9 290 gigabyte
16gb ram
win 10
24", 1080p, 60hz monitor

AirRaid said:

I have not noticed any major texture popin in the beta. There's probably some minor effect somewhere but it's not noticable while you play.

I will make some recording of this after work today, but I notice it mainly heavily when starting a level and making quick turns, and sporadically at times just after respawning, also notice it during character creation and weapons loadout, textures take a half second to go from low res to hi-res on the model.

Seems to do this on walls and distant objects in-game too, where textures look very low res or flat, and split second later they "pop" into a hires form. Exactly how it occurred in RAGE, mainly when turning and looking around.

Has occurred since Alpha 1 all the way up to to todays Beta.

EDIT [[UPDATE!!!]] I do not notice any pop in or texture streaming if I set the game to 1920x1080. Also, the game runs ridicously fast at that res (obviously). So obviously one titan x is plenty overkill for 1080p. Though it appears, with latest Nvidia drivers, Nvidia attempts to set DOOM's beta executable (zionx64.exe) to use a SLI alternate frame rendering 2 mode (this is automatically being set by latest Nvidia drivers, if I set it to "Nvidia recommended", it will default to Alternate Frame Rendering 2 (AFR2), meaning by default, Nvidia drivers are attempting to force SLI.. as if it's supposed to be using it if available.

whether it's just broken because it's still beta, or hasn't been implemented or optimized for SLI yet (again, because it's beta), time will tell... but according to Nvidia default driver settings, it looks like it might yet actually support SLI by launch. fingers crossed for us 4k folks :)

I too noticed the horrible FOV and my guess is around 70 - 80. To fix, run the game with:

+set com_skipIntroVideo 1 +set g_fov 120

(the skip intro will quickly tell you if the commands are passed through.)

Can you post a screen shot with the different FOV's so I can see the improvement? I am at work so I can't play atm.

some people are saying use "+set g_fov" some are saying use "+set cg_fov" i honestly can't tell if either command works correctly, it sure doesn't appear to be drastically changing things either way.

this is really annoying, fov was modifiable in the alpha and the game is less enjoyable for it not having the same attribute now.

It does not work for me either.

They just don't care man. It is what it is. Not going to upgrade my system for this piece of shit. Hell I don't even know if i want to spend money on the game itself right now.

Played for a bit. Had to stop as I was starting to get a bit disorientated. The FOV sucks.

I hope on release we can get access to the console. I want a higher FOV, a framerate cap that is higher than less than half of my monitor's refresh rate and damnit more options in general.

I love watching the urban legend of how to change the FOV in the Doom beta evolve in real time. Despite being the INTERNET, which is built off of LINKS and IMAGES and VIDEOS, I haven't seen a single thing suggesting there is such a command or that it actually works, but that hasn't stopped people from playing telephone with the rumors one bit.