Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Plasma Gun

DOOM Closed Beta Help Thread

I had a lot of trouble getting the Doom beta to work, so I'll post what I did to get it working & hope that this can basically be a "support" thread for us PC users.

If you try to run the game in Steam and it simply won't even start up, go to your Steam Apps folder, find DOOM Closed Beta, and run DOOMx64.exe. If you're missing a .dll or something (probably Visual Studio redistributable), go into the _CommonRedist folder in the DOOM Closed Beta folder and then go into "vcredist." From there run either the vcredist_x64 or vcredist_x86 (depending on whether you have a 32-bit OS or 64-bit OS) and do a repair.

This should allow you to run the game.

This game does NOT like SLI; performance seems to degrade with SLI on, so TURN IT OFF before playing if you are having issues. If you are using a G-SYNC monitor, also turn G-SYNC off in the NVIDIA control panel.

Hope this helps somebody.

Strangely, I can't run the beta. The alpha worked like a charm, and I seldom have problems running games (actually, never). Rig is a Dual Xeon 6 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia Titan (I work/earn my money with this thing, it's not primarly built for Gaming), Windows 10.

When I start the Beta, the Bethesda Intro Video starts to play, begins to stutter, until it comes to a complete halt, and the dreaded "DOOMx64 has stopped working" pops up.

Strange, especially since it dies when it simply tries to play a prerendered intro movie.

Then again, that's what betas are for.

tuo said:

Strangely, I can't run the beta. The alpha worked like a charm, and I seldom have problems running games (actually, never). Rig is a Dual Xeon 6 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia Titan (I work/earn my money with this thing, it's not primarly built for Gaming), Windows 10.

When I start the Beta, the Bethesda Intro Video starts to play, begins to stutter, until it comes to a complete halt, and the dreaded "DOOMx64 has stopped working" pops up.

Strange, especially since it dies when it simply tries to play a prerendered intro movie.

Then again, that's what betas are for.

Give it time to operate.
It's basically doing a gigantic friggin' preload and initial setup, it freezes for pretty much everyone.

RikohZX said:

Give it time to operate.
It's basically doing a gigantic friggin' preload and initial setup, it freezes for pretty much everyone.

Oh, that is a great hint, thank you. Will try that now!

The alpha did the same thing. The Bethesda video stutters and freezes and doesn't play nice but it's literally only the first time it does it. As soon as you get through that it'll load up nicely.

RikohZX said:

Give it time to operate.

For the record, this preload is a shader compile process (shaders that are GPU/driver specific), based on what happens if you update/reinstall your drivers or otherwise do something that causes said shader cache to reset. It only needs to happen once per combination, but it seems something in the beta causes the process to crash or seemingly hang (only seemingly, it's still running) if you unfocus it during this time.

Have EVGA 780GTX and i have constant 30 FPS instead of 60. Someone can tell how many FPS he have and his card? and wersion of driwers my are 353.82. Win 10 64bit.

When no fight in 720p there is 60fps even in 1v1 sytuation. But when is 4 or more people on screen i have 30-40 fps no more.

btw. key binding is ok.

The beta is now running very well for me, but I have one problem I can't seem to solve:

appart from the fact that it always launches on the wrong display (allthough the settings menu shows the correct one), I cannot get it to run fullscreen. My main display is 4k resolution, and regardless what I try (fullscreen, borderless (obvious), window (even more obvious) I always get a non-fullscreen. If I try to play it in fullscreen 1920x1080, it only renders a 1920x1080 viewport atop of my Windows 10 UI, instead of switching to fullscreen. Alt - Enter etc. pp. does not work.

When I switch the display to 1920x1080, everything is fine, but that always needs a complete reboot on my system if I switch back to 4k, because Windows somehow doesn't understand it (Adobe applications launching with wrong scaling etc.), logout/login doesn't solve it, only a reboot.

Anybody got the same problem and found a way to solve it?

HUSKER said:

You have to set the resolution in the game to 2160 to get full screen.

While that works, that can't be their desired solution for going fullscreen? It's beta and all, but still...

Dreamphaser said:

anyone in and having trouble with keybindings too ?

What trouble are you having? It seems if you want to unbind a key from an action you need to find the action, then select it and press that key to unbind. Then you can go to what you wanted to use it for and bind that key there. Took me a second to figure out that the option for "this key is already bound do you want to rebind" thing doesnt actually alter the original bind.

The biggest issue is that i'm unable to bind mouse2 to anything.
Also some keys seem to be locked in. When for example i bind Z to
jump instead of move forward, ingame it first jumps AND moves forward
when pressing Z. I tried unbinding all. it works for some keys but not all.
i cant seem to use space for gory kill either.

so yeah my score is suffering :)

i've looked elsewhere and it seems to be a common issue.

The game doesn't register my steam profile name correctly. I just go by Doom Marine. Anyone experience the same, or some way to fix it?

Dreamphaser said:

The biggest issue is that i'm unable to bind mouse2 to anything.
Also some keys seem to be locked in. When for example i bind Z to
jump instead of move forward, ingame it first jumps AND moves forward
when pressing Z. I tried unbinding all. it works for some keys but not all.
i cant seem to use space for gory kill either.

so yeah my score is suffering :)

i've looked elsewhere and it seems to be a common issue.

The same issue here. Very frustrating shit. Who to hell came up with the idea to lock zoom key to mouse3? I can't change that. I alway use mouse3 to forward but this time I just can't change it. There is four taunts keys but there is no zoom key to bind?

StevieCybernetik said:

Giant whine of faggotry.

Sorry about that, figured it out finally. Not happy the way to install is sort of buried in options like that, but whatever.

For ubernoobs, you have to go to "Activate a product on Steam", to redeem the code for PC. I really wish this was highlighted somewhere instead of just a lame footnote. This isn't really printed out there for most to see.

There really wasn't anything else you could have done with that key other than register the game in the first place, so highlighting the obvious doesn't really accomplish much.

Sometimes I forget that a lot of people don't use and interact with Steam/Steam Users every day of the year and things like this aren't general knowledge.

It's really not that hard to figure out though.

tuo said:

The beta is now running very well for me, but I have one problem I can't seem to solve:

appart from the fact that it always launches on the wrong display (allthough the settings menu shows the correct one), I cannot get it to run fullscreen. My main display is 4k resolution, and regardless what I try (fullscreen, borderless (obvious), window (even more obvious) I always get a non-fullscreen. If I try to play it in fullscreen 1920x1080, it only renders a 1920x1080 viewport atop of my Windows 10 UI, instead of switching to fullscreen. Alt - Enter etc. pp. does not work.

When I switch the display to 1920x1080, everything is fine, but that always needs a complete reboot on my system if I switch back to 4k, because Windows somehow doesn't understand it (Adobe applications launching with wrong scaling etc.), logout/login doesn't solve it, only a reboot.

Anybody got the same problem and found a way to solve it?

I've the same problem with only 1 monitor, when I start the game, even if I set 1920x1080 or 2560x1440 on Windows settings, the game starts with that strange window and on background I've windows in 1920x1080. In the game I can't put any other resolution except the 4k to have the fullscreen. I can't play in 4k, 30 fps is too low performance to play good. Any idea?