Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Krimson Madness

Doom Beta Personal Thoughts

I loved the beta. Turning into a revenant was absolutely incredible. I wish the pickups were more recognizable though. Honestly, when I would pick things up, half the time I didn't know what they were. My custom loadout was the plasma rifle and the SSG. I love the plasma rifles altfire (just a pool of plasma that you shoot on the ground and it progressively takes away the health of whoever is standing in it). The SSG was incredible.

Something I didn't like is that when you kill the player that turns into the revenant, he drops the demon rune and whoever killed him becomes the revenant. I think the revenant should just die and the next revenant is determined by whoever finds the next rune. Revenant.

I wish there was a sprint option like in the original doom...but oh well. You move pretty quickly anyway.

I was never much of an online multiplayer gamer...but I had a blast. My best was 19 and 7.

Anybody else playing on the Xbox?

TraceOfSpades said:

Something I didn't like is that when you kill the player that turns into the revenant, he drops the demon rune and whoever killed him becomes the revenant. I think the revenant should just die and the next revenant is determined by whoever finds the next rune. Revenant.

IIRC the all runes worked the same exact way in Quake 3.

TheMightyHeracross said:

IIRC the all runes worked the same exact way in Quake 3.

And?

I don't recall Q3 online much. I barely remember the campaign, it was so long ago.

But even so...that wouldn't change the fact that I don't like the droppable runes.

TraceOfSpades said:

I loved the beta. Turning into a revenant was absolutely incredible. I wish the pickups were more recognizable though. Honestly, when I would pick things up, half the time I didn't know what they were. My custom loadout was the plasma rifle and the SSG. I love the plasma rifles altfire (just a pool of plasma that you shoot on the ground and it progressively takes away the health of whoever is standing in it). The SSG was incredible.

I wish there was a sprint option like in the original doom...but oh well. You move pretty quickly anyway.

I was never much of an online multiplayer gamer...but I had a blast. My best was 19 and 7.

Anybody else playing on the Xbox?

Yeah, me, Bluepineapple, and MrDead1313 are hanging and having a blast send me a FR and you'll meet the other guys. my GT is exactly like my username.

I'm fucking loving the beta. Spent a good four hours on it tonight after a looooong download with my shitty internet, I must say it's the most fun I've had in a multiplayer FPS since Unreal.

Super massive thanks to Buckshot for PMing a beta code, you're awesome dude!!!

pro_zealot said:

archvile what OS, drivers you use. Are you tweak somethink in NVIDIA control panel to get this 60 fps? (i ask becouse i have the exact copy of your hardware and have only 30fps)

Hi,

in game settings :-
1080p, adaptive v=sync, the middle aa setting (TAA+ FXAA???), everything else is default.

The game profile (doomx64.exe) in the NVidia drivers is settings are all default apart from :-
Negative LOD bias set to Allow and power management set to prefer maximum performance.

Bear in mind I have intel speed stepping turned off on my pc so it runs between 4ghz and 4.4 all times and I use a plasma TV so the refresh rate might behave differently compared to a monitor.

You do get some dips when the action is chaotic but 99% of the time it runs at 60fps

Edit - I'm on windows 10 using latest Nvidia drivers.

MrInternational said:

Yeah, me, Bluepineapple, and MrDead1313 are hanging and having a blast send me a FR and you'll meet the other guys. my GT is exactly like my username.

My gamertag is IAmMadeOfSeckz.

Something I've come to realize about this game is that it translates well between platforms. I'm personally partial to PC gaming, but playing this on Xbox was a blast as much as it is on steam. And it looks fantastic on Xbox as well :)

hardcore_gamer said:

My biggest gripe right now are the OP special weapons and demon runes. The are basically just free kills. I remember this once where I fired at someone with the railgun and thought I would miss but then WTF'd really hard once I saw the enemy player just explode anyway even though my shot was not even close to hitting him. So overpowered. The demon runes are similar but not as bad since you can at least try to avoid the demon.

Other than that and the fact that you have to unlock more custom colors (why???) I am loving this so far.

Totally agree on that weird Gauss cannon being OP. I'm sure they'll balance that out in the final game; because you're right, you can be off by an inch and still hit them. Not to mention one hit kills; so it's not fair. I actually wouldn't mind the one hit kills int he final game; but at least making accuracy more vital.

Remember that the BFG is also meant to spawn in MP matches, so they might aswell reduce it's power if they are going to do that to the Gauss cannon.

Well I tend to agree with everybody here...prising Doom for its objective pluses and criticising for its oblective minuses. But overall it's damn fun and if that was the goal then it is 666% acheived! As much as I'm not a MP whore, well exept for q3, I'm looking into full mp experience and it promises to be really enjoyable)
Also want to add about visuals...Heatwave is amasing looking map....the design, texture work, reflections, dirt, decals, lighting...how I want to put my hands on idStudio and play with its editors))) I can already tell I'd make a nice looking map))
Inferno kind a meh...it is too generic I think....I mean it just like d3 hell and not really looking unique, I hope to see better hell landscapes)
And again 750 ti 900p and 40+ fps constantly...could I be any happier))

Although there are certainly some good things about the beta, I think the worst thing for me (besides the weak weapons) is the terrible audio mix. You can't even hear at least half of the shots fired by other players. I can't count the number of times I've been blasted in the back by a SSG and not even realized it until I noticed my health was rapidly decreasing.

Oh yeah! Another tbing, there's no pain noises. Like when you die. I think it was very characteristic of the original games and it's sad to see it gone. Someone mentioned it in another thread and reminded me that I forgot to mention it.