Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xerge

Weapon Materials

Recommended Posts

Does anyone know what are the Plasma Gun, the Rocket launcher and the Gauss Cannon supposed to be made of? Because they look too plastic to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Xerge said:

Does anyone know what are the Plasma Gun, the Rocket launcher and the Gauss Cannon supposed to be made of? Because they look too plastic to me.


plastic

Share this post


Link to post
Xerge said:

Does anyone know what are the Plasma Gun, the Rocket launcher and the Gauss Cannon supposed to be made of? Because they look too plastic to me.


It's the future, everything is made of plastic.

Share this post


Link to post

I've read some people saying that the plasma gun and the rocket launcher feel weak, I don't know because I'm not playing the beta, but I think their looks don't help much.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm a designer, so I dissaprove their looks as a designer, their plastic look isn't very consistent with what they are supposed to be in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post

Right. Can you tell me what it was like working on Doom 2016, was Marty Stratton easy going or difficult to work for?

Share this post


Link to post
Piper Maru said:

Right. Can you tell me what it was like working on Doom 2016, was Marty Stratton easy going or difficult to work for?


I wish I knew. Sometimes I really wonder what has been going on with the art direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Xerge said:

I'm a designer, so I dissaprove their looks as a designer, their plastic look isn't very consistent with what they are supposed to be in my opinion.


why dont you show us your ideal look of design and see if we will approve here?

Share this post


Link to post
999cop said:

why dont you show us your ideal look of design and see if we will approve here?


The overall design isn't bad, it's the texture which I think looks weak.

Share this post


Link to post
Xerge said:

I wish I knew. Sometimes I really wonder what has been going on with the art direction.


As a professional designer, can you give us insight into how you would have handled the art direction? Let's set up a scenario, Marty Stratton visits Doomworld and see's Goatlord sobbing about the Cyberdemon's hunch for the billionth time and then stumbles across this thread and reads about the plastic weapons, he then decides to put you in charge. Let's see your vision!

Share this post


Link to post
Piper Maru said:

As a professional designer, can you give us insight into how you would have handled the art direction? Let's set up a scenario, Marty Stratton visits Doomworld and see's Goatlord sobbing about the Cyberdemon's hunch for the billionth time and then stumbles across this thread and reads about the plastic weapons, he then decides to put you in charge. Let's see your vision!


I think most of the other strong weapons look fine as they are, for example: I consider that something more metallic or similar to the heavy machinegun or the chaingun textures would be more appropiate for stronger weapons, specially for the rocket launcher.

Share this post


Link to post
Xerge said:

I think most of the other strong weapons look fine as they are, for example: I consider that something more metallic or similar to the heavy machinegun or the chaingun textures would be more appropiate for stronger weapons, specially for the rocket launcher.


I see, so all it really comes down to is textures. That is very interesting. Now would you go with a shiny metallic texture, or a more scratched and roughed up texture, to suggest the weapon has seen better days?

Share this post


Link to post
Piper Maru said:

a more scratched and roughed up texture, to suggest the weapon has seen better days?


This, since the game is about hordes of demons who scratch here and there and throw fireballs and have killed a lot people I think worn out and scratched weapons would fit better, the weapons have definetly seen better days before the invasion, so they aren't supposed to look clean or brand new.

Share this post


Link to post

I'll tell you one thing: they sure as hell look better than the bullshit you see in Halo.

Share this post


Link to post

If I manage to learn how to mod the skins I would probably try to do it anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Xerge said:

This, since the game is about hordes of demons who scratch here and there and throw fireballs and have killed a lot people I think worn out and scratched weapons would fit better, the weapons have definetly seen better days before the invasion, so they aren't supposed to look clean or brand new.


Okay, I see what you're saying. You very much prefer the weaponry to look like they've got some mileage on them as opposed to having a clean and pristine appearance. But what if the weapons have a 22nd century scratch-resistant coating on them? Especially the Plasma Gun, plus in the E3 demonstration the marine finds it in a weapon case, it might even be a brand new and straight out the box. It might even be a collectors edition Plasma Gun. But thats all just speculation anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Piper Maru said:

You very much prefer the weaponry to look like they've got some mileage on them as opposed to having a clean and pristine appearance. But what if the weapons have a 22nd century scratch-resistant coating on them? Especially the Plasma Gun, plus in the E3 demonstration the marine finds it in a weapon case, it might even be a brand new and straight out the box. It might even be a collectors edition Plasma Gun. But thats all just speculation anyways.


Heh, as much as I Like brand new weapons I think something else would be more appropiate with the concept, I mean when I think of Doom I think about chaos, destruction, death, violence, aftermath, despair and that kind of things, you are supposed to be around a deteriorating world that is being consumed by Hell and I don't think clean, brand new or properly mantained weapons can represent that properly, of course clean and brand new looking weapons would probably work and represent other games that are meant to have more elegant or at least less chaotic ambientations and themes. You know the damaged armor was a really nice touch.

Share this post


Link to post
Xerge said:

Heh, as much as I Like brand new weapons I think something else would be more appropiate with the concept, I mean when I think of Doom I think about chaos, destruction, death, violence, aftermath, despair and that kind of things, you are supposed to be around a deteriorating world that is being consumed by Hell and I don't think clean, brand new or properly mantained weapons can represent that properly, of course clean and brand new looking weapons would probably work and represent other games that are meant to have more elegant or at least less chaotic ambientations and themes. You know the damaged armor was a really nice touch.


The real hell, I think, is that surface scratches can lead to rust thus causing the weapons to malfunction and the last thing you want is a plasma gun exploding in your hands. You know how painful it is when you accidentally spill boiling hot coffee all over yourself? Well having a device capable of discharging miniature suns can only be worse.

Share this post


Link to post

I would think the frame of the weapon would be made from a hard polymer resin. Which is what they look like, aside from the double barrel shotgun which is a contemporary design. The barrel of each weapon, however, I think would be made from hardened steel. Polymer would be far to weak to withstand the pressure from any of the weapons, which is why we don't use it as barrels today. We still use hardened steel because it works. However, you can use polymer for the frame without any issues. As long as the barrel, slide rails, receiver and trigger are steel it's fine.You can cover them in polymer resin to protect them against bumps and scratches, but the weapon will function just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Xerge said:

Heh, as much as I Like brand new weapons I think something else would be more appropiate with the concept, I mean when I think of Doom I think about chaos, destruction, death, violence, aftermath, despair and that kind of things, you are supposed to be around a deteriorating world that is being consumed by Hell and I don't think clean, brand new or properly mantained weapons can represent that properly, of course clean and brand new looking weapons would probably work and represent other games that are meant to have more elegant or at least less chaotic ambientations and themes. You know the damaged armor was a really nice touch.


You can add dirt and scratches to the weapons in the Multiplayer Beta.

Share this post


Link to post
Jello said:

I would think the frame of the weapon would be made from a hard polymer resin. Which is what they look like, aside from the double barrel shotgun which is a contemporary design. The barrel of each weapon, however, I think would be made from hardened steel. Polymer would be far to weak to withstand the pressure from any of the weapons, which is why we don't use it as barrels today. We still use hardened steel because it works. However, you can use polymer for the frame without any issues. As long as the barrel, slide rails, receiver and trigger are steel it's fine.You can cover them in polymer resin to protect them against bumps and scratches, but the weapon will function just fine.


Thanks, I'm looking into that and I've just learned a few things that have caught my attention.

ChickenOrBeef said:

You can add dirt and scratches to the weapons in the Multiplayer Beta.


I know, you should read what I said there as a response to Piper Maru who was talking about the E3 single player presentation.

Share this post


Link to post
Xerge said:

Heh, as much as I Like brand new weapons I think something else would be more appropiate with the concept, I mean when I think of Doom I think about chaos, destruction, death, violence, aftermath, despair and that kind of things, you are supposed to be around a deteriorating world that is being consumed by Hell and I don't think clean, brand new or properly mantained weapons can represent that properly, of course clean and brand new looking weapons would probably work and represent other games that are meant to have more elegant or at least less chaotic ambientations and themes. You know the damaged armor was a really nice touch.

The barrels of the original Doom chaingun are shiny and pristine looking. I figure clean and brand-new looking weapons are in keeping with Doom's style.

And no, I don't give a damn if it makes no sense, this is a future universe in which chainsaws and old-fashioned break-barrel shotguns are present on a futuristic, largely high-tech facility on Mars and used alongside high-tech plasma-based energy weaponry, and some weapons looking pristine is not enough to ruin immersion into this universe.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×