Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Potatoguy

Lack of Hitscan Enemies?

I've noticed something about all the enemies that i've seen so far, and interesting, none of them have a hitscan-sort of attack.

In simple terms, there's no enemy that shoots bullets.

Now why is that? From all Doom games prior to this, there's been some sort of enemy that shot a bullet sort of weapon. Whether it be the Zombieguy, the Shotgunguy, or even the Spidermastermind! No bullet enemies so far in DOOM 4!
There ARE zombies with guns, but they're not exactly hitscan based, like the laser rifle zombie, that shoots dodgeable laser shots, and the laserbeam zombie, that shoots a continuous beam of energy.

Why is this missing? Maybe it could be to give the player the special characteristic to literally dodge every single attack in the singleplayer campaign (possible chances for zero damage runs), or just they forgot about them. Maybe they'll be enemies down the line that will have some bullet based weaponry.
What you guys think?

It's certainly more Doomy than the modern trend of making everything hitscans, melee not withstanding.

For one thing it sounds like you take more damage than the original, or rather higher difficulties will make you much more vulnerable to death if you get caught off-guard. Since the devs wanted to emphasize the design choice of 'you'll die if you stop moving', and no hitscan is the most balanced way of keeping a game from getting bullshit, it definitely seems like they basically want to make the player capable of avoiding most of the stuff sent their way, just with a good amount of challenge in the process.

I mostly use cover or at least try to when I face that type of enemies, do you? Because maybe they thought that ditching those would make the game feel less modern since most shooters use cover systems, just a guess. I personally wouldn't mind if they added those type of enemies anyway.

Honestly, from what I remember Painkiller had a pretty good type of hitscanner using a gatling gun. Though, it wasn't really much like Doom hitscanner at all - if it had a line of sight on you, it'd fire a bullet at your feet and, after a very short delay, said bullet would explode and only then could it hurt you. You could still avoid the damage entirely if you kept moving, however unless you wanted to dot the chaingun cha cha the entire fight you'd take out those guys first.

That all said, I may be entirely misremembering how that enemy worked, but I feel mostly confident that that's not the case.

I will miss the hitscan stuff, I mean come on even 3-4 enemies?

Potatoguy said:

I've noticed something about all the enemies that i've seen so far, and interesting, none of them have a hitscan-sort of attack.

In simple terms, there's no enemy that shoots bullets.

Now why is that? From all Doom games prior to this, there's been some sort of enemy that shot a bullet sort of weapon. Whether it be the Zombieguy, the Shotgunguy, or even the Spidermastermind! No bullet enemies so far in DOOM 4!
There ARE zombies with guns, but they're not exactly hitscan based, like the laser rifle zombie, that shoots dodgeable laser shots, and the laserbeam zombie, that shoots a continuous beam of energy.

Why is this missing? Maybe it could be to give the player the special characteristic to literally dodge every single attack in the singleplayer campaign (possible chances for zero damage runs), or just they forgot about them. Maybe they'll be enemies down the line that will have some bullet based weaponry.
What you guys think?

There are hitscanners though, Shotgun Dudes and Laser Weapon dudes. Also, I believe If i'm not mistaken, some Revenants come with Chainguns

CreamCheese said:

Also, I believe If i'm not mistaken, some Revenants come with Chainguns

I think you are mistaken there, but the rest of your post stands true. They have definitely mentioned enemies with traditional bullet based weapons.

Yeah, there will be Shotgunners with riot shields.

They are briefly seen in the Campaign Trailer, before the player blows them up with the combat shotgun's grenade launcher.
If you play the video at the lowest speed setting, you might be able to notice one of them firing at the player.

The big question is... do traditional Zombiemen return with semi-auto rifles? Or have they been replaced with the laser dudes?

Maybe they carry Heavy Assault Rifles now and are ranked higher than shotgunners.

As we don't know the full enemy roster yet, I think we can't talk about the lack of hitscan enemies.

In Doom 1 - bosses excluded - we had two hitscan enemies. Zombieman and Shotgun guy. I felt like we are fighting many hitscan enemies because especially for the first two episodes, they were very present.

In Doom 2, we got another one with the heavy weapon guy, and I am not sure where the archvile is grouped in (allthough it doesn't "scan", but hit or does not hit due to line of sight).

In both games, the majority of different(!) enemies where non-hitscan enemies. But since we encountered the weaker humans so often, it felt like we are fighting quite a bunch of hitscanners.

With Doom 2016, there are at least two hitscanners, maybe more with different weapons (again, bosses excluded). We don't know anything about some missing enemies like the Archvile which we haven't seen yet. So let's say they manage to include at least two hitscanners (laser dude, shotgun guy), we already nearly have parity with the original Doom. But we don't know how often we will encounter them, because to be honest, we have seen very little single player gameplay. Maybe if the first "watch 40 minutes of Doom) drops, the first levels will be the very same and feature many hitscanners.

I wouldn't get too worried. As long as they include at least one of our most beloved hitscanning bosses :) (please do it, please do it....)

Piper Maru said:

Marty Stratton please visit Doomworld and relieve the concerns that many Doomers have!

"Hitscanners, Hitscanners for all of you! Along with brutally fast combat, and bad ass guns!!!"

tuo said:

So let's say they manage to include at least two hitscanners (laser dude, shotgun guy)

Would the laser zombie be considered as a hit scan enemie?

tuo said:

"Hitscanners, Hitscanners for all of you! Along with brutally fast combat, and bad ass guns!!!"

I hope he gives the order and has all of the enemies in Doom changed to hit scanners.

Technician said:

Would the laser zombie be considered as a hit scan enemie?

Technically, a hitscan enemy to me is an enemy - or a weapon that the enemy wields - which at the very moment it is fired calculated wether it hits or not. No flying projectile like with a plasma gun, rocket launcher, imp/cacodemon/baron fire/plasmaball.

It fires, it scans wether it hits or not (based on it's accuracy which basically creates a cone of fire/probability).

That, to me, is a hitscanner. Some games couple this with bullet drop, others do "real" bullet drop by still sending a (very fast) projectile out there which drops towards ground. Doom is not a game for this.

Everything that decides in the very moment it activates wether you (or the enemy) takes damage or not, is a hitscanner to me. That's how it was coded in Doom (and I guess Doom 3, never looked at it's code, but it felt like it). If the term "hitscanner" changed in the past, I missed it.

Regarding the laser guy: from the trailers I have seen, it looks like the laser also immidiately materializes, and does not "extend" over time. Similar to the sniper rifle in multiplayer, railgun in Doom2/3 etc. pp.

To me, these are hitscanners. That's why I said I am not sure what the archvile from Doom 2 is grouped under (never looked at Doom 2 code, only Doom). Basically, it also decides at the moment it is activated wether it hits you, with the difference that (to my knowledge and experience) it hits 100% of times when it sees you and cannot miss.

Piper Maru said:

I hope he gives the order and has all of the enemies in Doom changed to hit scanners.

Only if he doess it brutally fast, doesn't stop moving and does it with a bad ass voice! (and I get a youtube video of it!)