Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

My friend is a newcomer to the franchise and this is what he thinks of the BETA

Hey guys, now we all know what us hardcore Id fans think of the game but I thought it would be interesting to share what a newcomer thinks of the beta. What do you think?

Both Doom 3 and Rage had per-pixel hit detection, no reason to think Doom'16 would be any different.

AirRaid said:

Both Doom 3 and Rage had per-pixel hit detection, no reason to think Doom'16 would be any different.

Don't all new games have per-pixel hit detection?

GoatLord said:

Don't all new games have per-pixel hit detection?

I think pretty much all multiplayer games still use hitboxes for hit detection to eliminate possible advantages for using different models.

Plasma rifle is useless? BS I made lots of frags with it)) It requires aiming skills just like in q3! At first I also thought that weapons are underpowered, but now I can see that it depends on how and when you use various weapons. And that's why we are motivated to hunt for demon rune and guass cannon, quad damage and other power ups.

id.dav said:

Plasma rifle is useless? BS I made lots of frags with it)) It requires aiming skills just like in q3! At first I also thought that weapons are underpowered, but now I can see that it depends on how and when you use various weapons. And that's why we are motivated to hunt for demon rune and guass cannon, quad damage and other power ups.

Totally this, every weapon can be pretty good if you learn how to use them, heck! Even the heavy assault rifle and the lighting gun are pretty damn dope and I´ve been getting lots of kills with them.

id.dav said:

It takes too long to kill with it. Since it is a projectile weapon it should do more damage, somewhere between 20-25 per shot.

It takes like 4-5 seconds of direct hits to kill...Not good. It's the same with the HAR and Lightning Gun. So far I haven't found a better combination than Static Cannon and SSG.

DooM_RO said:

It takes too long to kill with it. Since it is a projectile weapon it should do more damage, somewhere between 20-25 per shot.

I don't think 25 is good. That's 4 hits on spawn. Maybe 10 would be better than 6

Could be balanced by spawning the player with less ammo.

As of now, the MP has quite a few balance problems.

DooM_RO said:

Could be balanced by spawning the player with less ammo.

As of now, the MP has quite a few balance problems.

Agreed. Something about the rocket launcher being weak as all hell.. It bothers me. But the game is absolutely fun as hell :) Does need a slight bit of work though

The weapons are all situational. Certain combos (primarily a ranged hard-hitter like static, vortex or rocket with the SSG for close range) do have more of a definitive edge, but a Plasma Rifle can potentially shred someone just like a Lightning Gun or the Heavy Assault Rifle, depending on how they react and how much damage (or boosted health and armor) you catch them at. I wouldn't say the rapid weapons absolutely suck, but they're better for picking off someone you blasted with the SSG or are already weakened, rather than trying to mow down someone who's currently built up their endurance.

hardcore_gamer said:

Mack completely destroyed the beta and pretty much called it the worst thing ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k_LPEm0gtc

Then again he is a fairly big PC elitist so I don't always agree with everything he says. This isn't much different, since I don't think his points are as valid as he thinks.

can't watch this video for more than a few seconds, he sounds like a total douchebag

Deatheye said:

can't watch this video for more than a few seconds, he sounds like a total douchebag

I have to agree.

Had to watch at 2x speed since I didn't want to waste too much time with this fucker taking like 10 minutes to basically say "SUX ITS CALL OF DUTY" (then again most of that was probably just him sperging out on that bell).

hardcore_gamer said:

Mack completely destroyed the beta and pretty much called it the worst thing ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k_LPEm0gtc

Haha, it's a little impressive that the guy doesn't address any merits of the actual game AT ALL, even accidentally, and instead manages to spend 100% of the time complaining about how it's not another thing he wants instead.

Linguica said:

Haha, it's a little impressive that the guy doesn't address any merits of the actual game AT ALL, even accidentally, and instead manages to spend 100% of the time complaining about how it's not another thing he wants instead.

That's the problem with him and people like him. They expect this to be Quake 3 Arena 2 when this is Doom.

This game is basically what Kirby is to Mario. A more casual Quake 3 and that is OK.

What did YOU think though?

o be fair, I find weapon loadouts to be a bit questionable. I always have, though I guess I don't mind them in CoD or something. Of course, remember that even Modern Warfare had a "Classic" game mode where you had to find weapons and perks scattered around maps.

That guy is a fucking idiot. Quake 3 was the last big multiplayer focus shooter id made. Didn't hear much fuzz about Doom3 MP. The level up and reward system is nice addition, takes nothing away from the game. Makes the MP seem like a separate game altogether. Personally I loved the alt fire of plasma gun, lure enemies to it and finish off with the SSG.

The game looks fun, and captures some of the old spirit the classic Doom games had. I haven't actually played the beta yet but from what I've seen it tries to be fast "run n gun" shooting and I think it nails that pretty well. It reminds me a little of Halo and Call of Duty but it is different enough to stand out from those games as well I would say. Hopefully it is even 1/3 as popular. That would be great for the Doom franchise that so desperately needs modern attention.

Deatheye said:

That's kinda his selling point. He is different from other reviewers (well technically he doesn't really "review" games, he just makes first impression videos where he either recommends a game or suggests people ignore it) in that he is just shamelessly hateful towards the game he doesn't like and unusually honest. I like many of his let's plays as well. I will however admit that I think he dropped the ball with the Doom beta and feel that his bias towards consoles has influenced his opinion towards it.

Mack isn't for everyone, but he does have over 96k subscribers for a reason. You either hate him or love, and I for one love him most of the time.

Here is an example of a recent WOB from him that I liked where he reviews Sims 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIRpaOq7DSE

hardcore_gamer said:

That's kinda his selling point. He is different from other reviewers (well technically he doesn't really "review" games, he just makes first impression videos where he either recommends a game or suggests people ignore it) in that he is just shamelessly hateful towards the game he doesn't like and unusually honest.

I know you said something about selling points, but so far I'm just being told he's awful and unable to formulate an opinion that isn't screaming.

hardcore_gamer said:

isn't for everyone, but he does over 96k subscribers for a reason. You either hate him or love,

Oh, like Pewdiepie!

hardcore_gamer said:

Then again he is a fairly big PC elitist so I don't always agree with everything he says. This isn't much different, since I don't think his points are as valid as he thinks.

just copy/pasting my youtube comment on his video because i think it illustrates all i have to say about what he had to offer.

"the point of arena is spawn naked with nothing" (quote from the video)

but you open with quakelive footage where every player spawns with railgun before praising it endlessly? it seems you don't really mind spawning with weapons that much.

just my observation

DooM_RO said:

That's the problem with him and people like him. They expect this to be Quake 3 Arena 2 when this is Doom.

This game is basically what Kirby is to Mario. A more casual Quake 3 and that is OK.

What did YOU think though?

Not really. When it comes to MP Quake was Mario with a new hat. Doom and Quake differ greatly in single player with it's unique hardware limitations influencing the size and dynamics of maps and quantity and durability of enemies to compensate. Doom 4 still doesn't provide the breakneck speed that id brought to MP from Doom to Quake 3. I'm going to throw my hands up and admit I've only watched streams of this game being played, but the player looks like he maneuver like a tank rather than a sports car in either Doom or Quake. I believe a lot of this is because modern map geometry makes it impossible for players to fly around corridors backwards without getting snagged on some decorative geometry and will forever remain what it is today. Also, a lot of todays developers are yesterdays Halo and CoD players. I think this game's MP will live about as long as Doom 3 and Quake 4's did.