Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

What I think of the Beta.

So now that the Beta has finally concluded I thought I should give my impressions. I think the Multiplayer has a lot potential but it has a lot of little things that prevent it from being great which I will discuss in this post.

Movement

Overall I found the speed to be OK. It could be a TAD faster but it's quite alright. That said, why did you make strafing slower? It's really annoying...

Double jumping is fun but I get mixed results from it. While it's great that good timing allows for some skillful jumping I find that in certain situations it cancels my momentum. Why?

The Weapons

SSG: I've heard people say it is underpowered. While it is indeed true that you can no longer one-shot enemies like in OG Doom, it is still very powerful. This game seems to be tailored to switch between weapons. My tactic is to soften players with the Static Cannon and then quickly finish them off with the SSG. It looks and sounds great.

Static Cannon: A very interesting weapon that is quite lethal when combined with other weapons. The model is cool but the sound is AWFUL. I can barely hear it.

Rocket Launcher: It does what it's supposed to. Alt fire is interesting.

HAR: It feels weak. It takes like 4-5 seconds to kill someone with it. In that time I can score two frags with the Static Cannon and the SSG.

Plasma Rifle: It is very weak. 6-9 damage for a projectile weapon? Really? It should be like 20-25 since it takes a bit of time to reach the player. The alternative fire is the only thing that prevents it from being useless. I've heard people say the sound is weak but I think it's cool. I really like the model.

Vortex Rifle: Looks and Sounds really cool. I LOVE that it puts a big laser on campers. It's basically a "Kick me" sign.

Lightning Gun: The weapon is fine but sounds kind of weak.

Gauss Cannon: HIDEOUSLY overpowered. Seriously, it's a one shot weapon with splash damage that you don't even have to aim AND you can see through walls with it. I understand this is an anti-demon weapon so it should do like 60 damage to players and 120 on demons.

The Maps

I found the maps to be very good. There are tons of little vantage points, shortcuts and nooks and opportunities for skillful use of Double Jumping. The level design is very clever and you definitely don't see these kinds of maps nowadays. That part in Infernal with the stairs and jump pads was excellent.

Not only is the level design great but I found the second map in particular to be a visual treat. It looks EXACTLY like how hell should look like in 2016. I see a lot of Doom 1 and Doom 2 inspired textures. In fact, I frequently reconstructed the level as if it was made in Doom 1/2 in my head. Pools and rivers of blood, green and red brick walls, fire. It has everything! There is a lot of color in here.

The Demon

It's a really neat idea but it feels overpowered. I understand it should be a gamechanger but it's far too easy to kill stuff with it. If I get killed in this game it should be because I was not good enough not because the demon is overpowered. If I were in charge I would give it homing rockets that did 50 damage.

Conclusion

I think the Multiplayer has a lot of potential but it needs a lot of ironing out. Needless to say, I am very hyped about the game and can't wait for it. Overall, the game feels like a slower Quake 3 and that is OK. In its current state I don't think the MP has a chance against Overwatch.

Loved it, owned it and want more.

Let's hope Snapmap really breathes life into it as Deathmatch alone can sustain us for only so long. That said, a much higher variety of maps and demons can really keep me interested. I like the speed and the double jumping, I really can't request any changes there.

As for weapons, I find the heavy rifle and plasma underpowered. The SSG is by no means weak and often keeps me number one in the leaderboard - you just have to be really close. The Vortex Rifle can one shot kill or two shot kill with a full charge which can make it stupidly powerful in team death match. Campers won't achieve much with it but those who are aware of and can exploit their surroundings / support well will dominate. Backed with a SSG and the teleport ability and you're going to outsmart, out range and out move majority of your enemies.

Demon Runes are fun, but I feel maybe only once per match is fine. Two if it's an extended match. Indeed the Demon is just stupidly powerful but if you were to play him against an organised team he will die quickly. In addition the quad damage rune and Gauss Cannon can make very short work of him. Thanks to the quad I successfully managed to glory kill a revenant before the beta ended!

One more thing. I don;t understand why people want this game to be Quake 3 Arena 2. This is Doom.

I think Doom 2016 is to Quake 3 what Kirby is for Mario...and that's fine.

I enjoyed the beta a lot, but the Gauss Cannon needs to be balanced. I agree you can barely get your sights on a guy, and still ruin him. Either it needs to be made a two hit shot, with more ammo; or should need Rail Gun accuracy.

The loadout system is fine, but at the same time I wouldn't miss it if it was gone. Or it was only available in certain game modes, like team games. I still haven't had 100% verified proof there will be straight up DM; where finding weapons would be fun! Classic style DM; where everyone starts off with a weak pistol.

The Demon itself is pretty OP, and again balancing his attacks so maybe his rockets take longer to fire, like a cool down or his rockets travel slower so you have a chance to avoid him; so players have a chance to weaken him would fix the issue. I hear a lot of people saying he should be weaker overall, but I think his health is fine; it's just his one hit kill rockets that are the issue.

And I would love pain sounds when I'm hit; or when I'm hitting other people. I miss the Doom Guy grunts, and scream when he dies. Like you fall in lava, and you don't even make a peep! Remember how scary it was in Quake when you landed in that lava? You knew the pain of death!

Champskiez103 said:

I enjoyed the beta a lot, but the Gauss Cannon needs to be balanced. I agree you can barely get your sights on a guy, and still ruin him. Either it needs to be made a two hit shot, with more ammo; or should need Rail Gun accuracy.

The loadout system is fine, but at the same time I wouldn't miss it if it was gone. Or it was only available in certain game modes, like team games. I still haven't had 100% verified proof there will be straight up DM; where finding weapons would be fun! Classic style DM; where everyone starts off with a weak pistol.

The Demon itself is pretty OP, and again balancing his attacks so maybe his rockets take longer to fire, like a cool down or his rockets travel slower so you have a chance to avoid him; so players have a chance to weaken him would fix the issue. I hear a lot of people saying he should be weaker overall, but I think his health is fine; it's just his one hit kill rockets that are the issue.

And I would love pain sounds when I'm hit; or when I'm hitting other people. I miss the Doom Guy grunts, and scream when he dies. Like you fall in lava, and you don't even make a peep! Remember how scary it was in Quake when you landed in that lava? You knew the pain of death!

I agree with all you say.

I have to disagree with some points

the revenant is almost useless when the enemy team plays as a team, they'll fuck you up really fast if you don't have backup - far away from being OP

gauss rifle is fine because it has only 4 shots and it's a nice gimmick to have such a weapon on the map (especially to fight the revenant)

shotgun MAY be too weak in mid range

larrypotter said:

Not having "pain sounds" is sad. It's just a small detail, I wonder why they didn't record any?

For me personally it isn't that small a detail.
If those sounds would lack in the campaign mode, that would be a downer.
I'm paying a lot of attention to sound and atmosphere, not because i
always want to, but to me sound is something that stands out really hard.

Hopefully there will be elaborate options for sound.
The announcer for one is to me completely redundant.
Announcers in any game make me feel like i'm watching a sports event on TV
and that is something i dont want to feel while i'm playing a gory game.
so please let there be a switch to turn him off :), or at least
giving us the possibility to replace or override with new sounds.

Pain sounds probably don't exist in order to keep the "Doom Marine" genderless. With that said, since the marine is wearing hi-tech armor, there could be some alerts that notify the player of damage, both via visual and auditory means. In fact, I believe the E3 2015 demo showed such an alert when the player's health was low. So something along those lines...

ChickenOrBeef said:

Pain sounds probably don't exist in order to keep the "Doom Marine" genderless. With that said, since the marine is wearing hi-tech armor, there could be some alerts that notify the player of damage, both via visual and auditory means. In fact, I believe the E3 2015 demo showed such an alert when the player's health was low. So something along those lines...

I hear that; sort of like Half Life, and how they kept Gordon silent. But what's really the point of that? You know his name is "Gordon" you can't pretend it's a woman.
The same applies in Doom, his name is "Doom Guy", and everyone knows it's a man under the suit, so it wouldn't hurt if he made noise when he took damage. (Also a good indicator to know when you're being hit) I personally just find it adds to the atmosphere.

ChickenOrBeef said:

Pain sounds probably don't exist in order to keep the "Doom Marine" genderless.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_HAJSWBUiAiU/S-xUAaYUvwI/AAAAAAAACeU/U8hWvGSmyho/Doomguy_sprite_sheet_by_TheAccountus.gif?imgmax=800?
Honestly, if that's an issue I think making it selectable would be a better option. I'd rather have sounds. Plus, wasn't there a clearly male scream when the campaign trailer revealed the Baron?

TheMightyHeracross said:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_HAJSWBUiAiU/S-xUAaYUvwI/AAAAAAAACeU/U8hWvGSmyho/Doomguy_sprite_sheet_by_TheAccountus.gif?imgmax=800?
Honestly, if that's an issue I think making it selectable would be a better option. I'd rather have sounds. Plus, wasn't there a clearly male scream when the campaign trailer revealed the Baron?

doomguy is a man, and yes there was a male scream when the baron ripped his legs and ripcage off.

deal with it feminists

Moon Marin said:

doomguy is a man, and yes there was a male scream when the baron ripped his legs and ripcage off.

deal with it feminists

Im curious what Anita Sarkesian and her ass-lickers are going to say after Doom 2016 is released, because as far as i know the most gory AAA game of this year will be Doom 2016.

Winged_Warrior said:

Im curious what Anita Sarkesian and her ass-lickers are going to say after Doom 2016 is released, because as far as i know the most gory AAA game of this year will be Doom 2016.

I hope she does, it would mean free publicity for the game.

Moon Marin said:

deal with it feminists

Maybe she is a woman in a man's body.

TheMightyHeracross said:

Honestly, if that's an issue I think making it selectable would be a better option. I'd rather have sounds.

Agreed, selectable sounds would also add to the customization element of the game's MP.

I remember that Quake 2 let you have the option to play as a female and a cyborg marine aside from the default male marine - it was quite fun to change it up and have a bunch of different pain sounds than the usual regular male ouchies.