Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

What does Doomworld think of the Beta?

BluePineapple72 said:

Console player here, anyone saying that the gauss canon requires more aiming is an ass, you won't believe how many shots I've wasted by shooting floors and walls, and making it harder to aim makes my life harder
So please, the gauss canon's aim is fine, but to be fair it might need a damage nerf for balancing reasons

I have to largely disagree.

I played the PC version of DOOM Alpha & Beta with both Mouse + KB and Controller. My mouse hand wrist gets quite sore from extended play sessions, so I swap to controller periodically if I want to keep playing as it reduces wrist strain, so i'm quite skilled with both forms (though i do prefer and feel that m+kb is both the superior and more enjoyable format to use).

The gauss cannon is incredibly easy to use with either control scheme.

I don't like the Gauss Cannon at all. It's OP...same with the grenades. They need a nerf, pronto. The Revenant could use a nerf too.

ChickenOrBeef said:

The visual customization allows for some cool looks, but most of the colors and patterns just don't fit the universe.

After watching a few gameplay videos and costumizations I'm thinking that adding a smiley head among the helmets would fit, so you can play as Mr Smiley Head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNPBVGalZHA

What I like:
No reloading, no auto-heal, no sticking to cover. Movement seems fluid, although you don't have much control in the air (seems almost non existent after playing UT for years). Also, I get the feeling I'll be able to play through the game, without using glory kills (melee) at all (like in Serious Sam 3), which is a big plus to me as I don't like being forced to melee unless being out of ammo, desperation or something. Especially when I dislike using it as melee is usually overpowered and one hit KOs in most modern FPS games.

Also, it seems well optimized (running 60 fps/1920x1080 on 8GB RAM, GTX 780 and i5 3,4 GHz)

I kind of expected the weapons, to have their core design similar to the originals, but I have no problem with the new ones. They seem to be decent followers. As long as all the original weapons appear in some form, it's all good. But the current ammo caps seem a bit low.

Some MP things:
Gauss cannon is basically 4 free kills. A little charge up time (like 1 sec) + loud audio queue would offer some counterplay instead of "crap I'm dead".

SSG reloads even if you switch out of it before the animation completes.

I don't care much about multiplayer, but here is one thing I hope won't make it to the single player only because it has to be balanced for MP:

Gimped rocket launchet: Seriously, I hope the rocket launcher won't be hitting for 55 HP on direct hit in single player. It might have problems killing imps if that happens.

And dont't you DARE have a 2 weapon limit in single player. Just a reminder.

I understood Why people say Doom 16 feels like halo, the loadouts, melee attack, grenades, armors, high jumps...

I'm very happy about new Doom game. Don't care about how it's not arena shooter, I lost my faith in arena FPS after Reflex and new UT. Quake Live still can deliever much fun, but we must look forward in future. Good job, id Software! Input lag in Halo series someone call "feel of weapon's weight" is completely bullshit! Without that modern feature, new Doom brings us pure aim and dynamics. I can't agree with people about low temp of this game, because two maps from beta isn't small enough to unleash full potential of gameplay. Gunplay is SO AWESOME. Feels like more casual version of Quake Live. You must be not professional player, but can show something with Rocket Launcher. Absolutely user friendly, real FUN. Double jumps works well. Best maps for new Doom must be vertical towers full of ladders, ledges and rungs. Horisontaly compact but vertically higher and every map in Quake Live. IMHO. My head full of ideas about new maps! At least good netcode(wow!), I can play in new Doom with ping higher than 150ms and don't give a shit about my connection. Cons: maybe movement on PC must be little bit faster, don't know. Gauss is OK, because Doom is Doom - remember how fast you can get BFG10K in original game and made tons of frags for seconds! And Revenant isn't SO strong after two good Vortex Rifle shots. Only one thing I want from id - MORE CONTENT, more guns, powerups e t.c... and less limitations for SnapMap.

P.S. Sorry for my english. :>

I'm very new here, but I voted anyways because I've been a lurker and loved doom to no end for quite some time now.

Personally, I don't really know what to think about it. I would have liked a pure arena shooter but considering that every attempt in the past 5 or so years at an arena shooter has died almost immediately it's probably for the best. I'm a little surprised (in a good way) that it doesn't feel a little more halo-y considering that certain affinity is working on the mp with id.

I think that everyone complaining "wtf id thiz izn't d00m? wer is muh bunni hopping" has probably never even played a dm match of doom in their life. Even after 23 years of modding, if you join a dm match on skulltag or something there's no strafe jumping, bunny hopping, or even rocket jumping, just people fragging with the ssg and occasionally a rocket launcher or chaingun.

The only thing I really hated is the gauss cannon. It requires literally 0 skill to use. It would be strong enough if it acted like the vortex rifle, but instead it's a combination of the BFG and titanfall's shitty smart pistol. If the gauss cannon is this bad, I'm scared to see the BFG.

If the mp does end up being good and balanced then great, but really all I care about is sp.

I played literally a couple matches, It didn't really hook me. All the weapons just felt weak as hell. I enjoy the new unreal much more for mp imo. I don't know it might grow on me when the game comes out. I wish it was a power shooter instead of a loadout shooter but shit happens. If were lucky we'll have options to change that.

MrGlide said:

I played literally a couple matches, It didn't really hook me. All the weapons just felt weak as hell. I enjoy the new unreal much more for mp imo. I don't know it might grow on me when the game comes out. I wish it was a power shooter instead of a loadout shooter but shit happens. If were lucky we'll have options to change that.

I felt the same when I first tried it but as I learned the maps and how to used the weapons I started to enjoy it. You need to constantly switch your weapons.

I think when the game release noctis will be ez win any tournament. I am probably not even trying this game just for this fact. #truestory

The only problem with the loadout system is that weapons need to be balanced in order to prevent player using the same one. Bur overall its good to start the game with the weapons you like instead of starting with a shitty weapon like in Q3.

I would make every player start with the SSG or HAR and make all the other weapons pickups.

CheeseOnTheMoon said:

Personally, I don't really know what to think about it. I would have liked a pure arena shooter but considering that every attempt in the past 5 or so years at an arena shooter has died almost immediately it's probably for the best.

Those attempts didn't have the name and the marketing funds that Bethesda could utilize for a new arena shooter. So I think a pure arena shooter by id/bethesda could be sucessful.

I don't know what to think of the game yet. What I've seen is leaving me cold

This game is really bad, tried it today. Its something like cod, where childish persons thinks are good at something when they got 30 frags kill strike. Way too casual and the movement is way too slow and aircontrol dumb. DOOM COD nothing more lmao.

capodecima said:

This game is really bad, tried it today. Its something like cod, where childish persons thinks are good at something when they got 30 frags kill strike. Way too casual and the movement is way too slow and aircontrol dumb. DOOM COD nothing more lmao.

you played it today? interesting

I think they need to change the load out system. You should be able too choose a starting weapon (Pistol, repeater, Combat Shotgun) but have to find everything else from vortex rifle to sniper rifle. Ammo is limited so if you want more rockets, you have to get another rocket launcher. Just my suggestion.

capodecima said:

0/10

you might get some people

capodecima said:

...hhhhuh?

capodecima said:

Aww shit, he's going all out.

Beta is great, a slightly different than alpha. I like a lot heatwave at alpha, there are many hi-top places to go possible only as a revenant. Shotgun sounds almost like doom 2 shotgun, plasma rifle cut down enemies like a knife the boiled egg. Moving, jumping/double jumping. Very nice looking design, heatwave is masterpiece - as an art and gameplay. Infernal it's like bloodfalls - blood flow everywhere, skulls and dead bodies, rockwalls and sky! Beautifull sky! Have you notice how nice is looking the sky? All classic weapons are excellent. Just run and gun.

I Hate the loadouts thing so much, Limiting max weapons that player can carry is just a bad idea .

It's okay. I can see where all the criticisms are coming from. Personally I just got bored of it after an hour or so. Maybe it's the lack of maps and modes, maybe I've burned myself out on multiplayer shooters lately, maybe it's something else.

I'm bewildered people are getting Call of Duty vibes from this. Halo, I can kind of understand, but Call of Duty is just such a completely different type of game.

If anything, it's like Unreal Tournament 3 without weapon pickups on the map, and a little bit slower. It's not Quake Live, but it shouldn't be. That's what Quake Live is for. And this is coming from someone who likes Quake Live.

Yeah, there's some stuff I'd like to see tweaked (matchmaking, minor running speed alterations, wider map areas for better gunplay), but it's far from bad. And it's far from Call of Duty. It's a beta demo, guys. Calm down.

I get that some people just aren't gonna like it, and that's just how they feel. That's fine. But It's not "the end of Doom", "worst thing ever", "Call of Duty" or whatever latest melodramatic nonsense people are going on about.

People are getting CoD vibes because of the framework, not the actual gameplay and combat. You earn XP and complete challenges to get weapon and cosmetic unlocks. COD is generally the game regarded to have started that trend. What's not to understand?

Personally I am bored with the MP already. Played the alphas, played the closed beta, now I'm just not bothered with the current beta.

The main reason is there's not enough damage feedback. If you're concentrating on aiming at something, the little red damage indicator is not enough to draw your attention, and then suddenly you have no health and you don't realise why. This also goes the other way and if you get behind someone without them realising it's fairly easy to chip off most of their health before they realise they're getting shot.

It just leads to dull frustrating gameplay for me.

I'm still really looking forward to the SP and messing about with snapmap, but eh. The Multiplayer won't see a lot of use from me.

Edit: To clarify, this was pretty much always my stance. I don'y play too many MP shooters these days and I wasn't gonna spend huge amounts of time on it anyway. My gaming time in Doom is going to be limited to late June when No Man's Sky comes out.