Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

We could be getting pre-Doom Bible stuff soon

Pre-Doom Bible stuff, eh? I wonder how different it is.

I asked Romero if he had any lost Tom Hall layouts from really early pre-0.3 dev, and he said it probably doesn't exist anymore. :(

oh damn! I'd like to see it soon, it could help me for a future Doom bible project. looking forward to it! :)

I dunno, I wouldn't hold my breath. Romero has never been in any hurry to release historical Doom stuff.

Linguica said:

I dunno, I wouldn't hold my breath. Romero has never been in any hurry to release historical Doom stuff.

Like a golden-age musician such as Bowie (RIP), drip-feeding it is what keeps people interested in *him* as oppose to the stuff itself; there's too much value (to him) in his brand to risk it by just dumping the lot and moving on.

Jon said:

Like a golden-age musician such as Bowie (RIP), drip-feeding it is what keeps people interested in *him* as oppose to the stuff itself; there's too much value (to him) in his brand to risk it by just dumping the lot and moving on.

That's nice.

Say, gold would also lose its value if somebody just handed it all away to everyone.

Sorry if this is irrelevant (or has already been asked) - is there many goodies available from LATER in development? So after 0.5, up to/around press-release beta and the build seen in the Visit to ID Software vid? I always see lots of early stuff, but nothing from the late beta stages?

quackbal said:

Sorry if this is irrelevant (or has already been asked) - is there many goodies available from LATER in development? So after 0.5, up to/around press-release beta and the build seen in the Visit to ID Software vid? I always see lots of early stuff, but nothing from the late beta stages?

Not really. Similarly, there was essentially nothing available about the development of Doom 2 outside of a warez-y "beta" version. Now we have earlier incarnations of some Doom 2 levels, but there's still not a whole lot else.

gemini09 said:

That's nice.

Say, gold would also lose its value if somebody just handed it all away to everyone.

That comparison doesn't make sense. I was talking about Romero's value in terms of being a public person, not the value of the Doom lore he might be sitting on. If he gives it all up now, then he essentially retires from being this interesting guy that people keep asking questions of and has bits and pieces that he occasionally shares with people, and becomes more like Carmack or Dave Taylor or anyone else who has moved on completely. And correspondingly he gets less publicity and less exposure for his current projects.

Jon said:

That comparison doesn't make sense. I was talking about Romero's value in terms of being a public person, not the value of the Doom lore he might be sitting on. If he gives it all up now, then he essentially retires from being this interesting guy that people keep asking questions of and has bits and pieces that he occasionally shares with people, and becomes more like Carmack or Dave Taylor or anyone else who has moved on completely. And correspondingly he gets less publicity and less exposure for his current projects.

I get what you mean but I just don't see "eye to eye" on that matter even if there is some truth to it -- I enjoy it whenever Romero is on stage and I think there's more credit due to somebody still participating in the community --- DOOM isn't the goliath it once was anymore.

Misleading title. He hasn't given any indication at all that he's planning to release this stuff.

fraggle said:

Misleading title. He hasn't given any indication at all that he's planning to release this stuff.

But his wife has

https://twitter.com/br/status/713337499716886529

Krzysztof Kondrak ‏@k_kondrak Mar 25
@br @romero Any chance of you scanning that/taking digital photos and putting it on the Internet? :)

Brenda Romero ‏@br Mar 25
@k_kondrak @romero High likelihood.

As far as I'm aware regarding Doom II, only EXE's, levels and a few Graphics (like the beta SSG) are available pre-1.666, no complete WAD.
Though will be very interesting to see the really early stuff to.

As far as I know, it took a while for us to have the unused content Romero put up online after he got a hold of one of the NeXT computers again.

We will be getting that stuff, alright, but it's going to take a while. I wouldn't hold my breath over it, in all honesty.

I thought that content was from the CD there was a photo of that I presumed contained all development files from the Doom Project. I could be wrong though. I happened to be online that day, after he released the Three packages, they were removed after a short while, and nothing else was uploaded. The thought occured to me that ZeniMax maybe found out and forced Romero to take down the content and not upload anything else. I'm probably completely wrong though.