Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest MIND

Older Doomers Opinions

Shaviro said:

Add some danger/drawbacks to the pickup locations so it almost becomes a game in itself to get them.

But that aspect was used quite a bit. The player usually has to do a bunch of platforming and double-jumping in order to reach the best power-ups. The middle section of Infernal is a great example, since the Gauss Canon and Mega Health are propped up high and require the player to jump up to various platforms and perform double-jumps. And obviously when you're focusing on doing that, you're also more vulnerable to attack.

The game feels like playing a platformer in that respect, which I feel is a lot of fun.

I'm excited about the single player and coop, as for the mp I like the new unreal more personally so far.

Make the maps open enough that it encourages you to explore and poke around for hidden goodies and I'll be happy. Maybe bring back the percentage counts to encourage players that are completionists. The combat of course looks solid and I love that they've added more color to the demons (That was one of my nitpicks) but I don't want it to be shooting and nothing else. Not necessarily colored key cards but maybe switches or something and definitely hidden areas. It shouldn't be entirely mindless in my opinion, Classic Doom wasn't.

id.dav said:

Core game - NO! Real level creation is only possible with idStudio - tool that was used to create game itself....it's amasing but we don't know if it'll ever arrive...considering that tere will be dlc for SnapMap - highly unlikely.

I have a feeling they will release IdStudio after they have already shipped all the DLC, meaning after about an year.

MINDustry said:

I'm new to DOOM. I wasn't even born when the first one was released.

I wanted to know the opinions that older players who lived through all the original Doom and Quake games. People who are now 30 or 40.

Now that the beta has come and gone, what do you think of the new game and how well does it stack up against what you thought it would be before the beta came out?

Do you think this game holds a candle to the originals?

When DOOM arrived on PC it was really a cultural revolution, not (only) technological.
It was (please allow this term) "sinful" in the sense that, played secretly by parents or at school/work, conveyed a sense of dependence, excitement, satisfaction, but also of immorality that, at first, made you feel kind of guilty and ashamed (PC and videogames were not "cool" at the time). But it became soon a mass phenomenon: suddenly newspapers, magazines, TV etc. spoke about DOOM. People at id were rockstars. Shareware floppies were literally everywhere and you could discover that even your professor was a DOOM player. A new world finally come out into the open.

DOOM 2016 will never be the same, simply because the times are different, and videogames are by now a big part of mass culture (and even a sport). But this doesn't mean that DOOM 2016 have nothing to say: it is a AAA title that tries to return to a "basic", fast and fun gameplay, and personally this is what I'm looking for.

Did I found this "authenticity" in the Beta? Yes. Multiplayer was really fun, and suddenly I found myself "telefragged" at the times of Quake 3 Arena and University.
When I heard the song of Mick Gordon, I went back even further to my nightmares as a teenager, chased by revenant and barons of the hell.

So, as an "older player" I know 2016 will never be 1994, but despite everything I can't wait to embrace that double-barreled shotgun again. ;)

Krimson Madness said:

I played all Doom games including Brutal Doom and i can say that this is going to be the best Doom game yet.

Brutal Doom is a mod, pansy >_> .

TheMightyHeracross said:

Just to clarify, these are free updates. Only MP gets paid DLC.

Only MP gets paid DLC.. for now. Nothing in their released statement excludes them from releasing paid DLC later on for say, more snapmap assets.

In fact, I fully expect them to do so.

redrage said:

Only MP gets paid DLC.. for now. Nothing in their released statement excludes them from releasing paid DLC later on for say, more snapmap assets.

In fact, I fully expect them to do so.

I highly doubt that. The map creators would have to pay extra to use the new assets and put in work to use them, but then of course only other people who pay for those assets can play the level they worked hard on. That's just too much.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Don't even ask them, they'll definitely want to make it play, look, or feel like old Doom.

Oh I wasn't aware that I've been saying "Should feel more like Old Doom 0/10" this whole time, I thought my opinion was that it looks awesome overall, but thanks for clearing that up for me.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Brutal Doom is a mod, pansy >_> .

It is, but you don't have to be an asshole to a new member because of it.

Posts like this got you that custom title.

Since you're asking us older Doomers and I'm almost 33, here's my abbreviated $0.02.

First, I want to say that I'm going to withhold the majority of my criticism until the game is actually released. That said, based on the videos, the MP seems like a Q3A derivative. That's not a compliment coming from me. The single player looks better, but Doom as we know it was/is the capturing of lightning in a bottle. It's just not something you can deliberately set out to recreate. Somewhere between the limitations of the software from the time of its release, and our imaginations, Doom as we recall it lives. The atmosphere created by our impressionable young minds and the art direction itself transformed Doom into something that cannot be effectively reproduced.

Gonna be jaded until I get a hands-on with single player. It's nice to see new fans but why through Brutal Doom? I mean at least look for different mods to play with.

Also for those who don't know, I'm 33 going 34 on the 25th of this month.

30 year old doomer/quaker here. More quaker than doomer and... I LOVE beta! More and more feels like Doom is on RIGHT way.

when your biggest problem is to find a way to the keys and not the demons because the levels feel like a huge labyrinth something went WRONG, don't you think?

It's sometimes tempting to be lured to that perspective, only for a new game with some level of exploration to be released, to play it, and to realise that, no - what is wrong is the idea exploration isn't fun.

Playing Dark Souls made me realise how much we lost in modern gaming, not only with level design but with world building. The two are closely tied together. Playing PWADs is well and fine, but figuring out your way step by step in a brand new fictional universe is something else entirely.

This brings back the child-like enjoyment I had with Doom in the mid-90s; looking through those windows in E1M1, being too technologically inept to see the skybox for what it was, and dreaming of finding a way to get outside the base and explore this planet. What sights would there be beyond those hills? What kind of creatures and artifacts would I run into in this strange universe? Video games can be so much more than a cinematic experience from point A to point B.

NoisM said:

30 year old doomer/quaker here. More quaker than doomer and... I LOVE beta! More and more feels like Doom is on RIGHT way.

Any thoughts on the art style? I remember you were worried the whole game was going to be brown and teal (Like Quake 2)

Ok, I'm 35 years old, so I guess I should chip in, even though I haven't played the beta and know little about how the weapons and mechanics actually feel.

From what I've seen of the game, I'm generally very positive towards it. It looks a lot more like a Doom game than Doom 3 did (and I'm one of those people who accepted Doom 3 as being a Doom game) and it looks very action-packed and fun, while updating the mechanics to seem a little more fresh.

Gore looks satifactory - got nothing to complain about there.

That said, I'm a bit concerned with how powerful the weapons will ultimately feel in the final game.
Firepower was a big part of what kept me playing Doom well after all the newfangled Quake and Unreal games dominated the market with their comparatively bullet-spongey enemies (yes, I understand why they had to be that way - still doesn't change what I feel), so it means a lot to me that the weapons feel massively destructive to the enemies.

I've known for many years that any new Doom game will never be able to capture the magic of the old Doom (different time and all that), largely because it's redoing what has been done several times since; Ever since Doom released in 1993, there have been so many imitators (some of them very well done), that the novelty that Doom once brought with it is long gone.
It's familiar territory now. Everything about it.
But that doesn't mean that it can't be a worthy entry in the Doom series, and I remain hopeful that it is.

I' m 40 now. From the videos the Doom MP looks great fun, reminds me to Quake 3 Arena, which I played a lot arround 2000. But to be honest, I don't have time for multiplayer games anymore (you need to invest time to learn the maps and to train), so I am only really interested in the SP part of the new Doom game.

Concerning SP I love the classic FPS games from the late 1990s: Doom, Quake1/2, Unreal. Non-linear level design, fast gameplay, diverse monsters and weapons and interesting scifi or fantasy settings do it for me. I more or less completely skipped all the peusod-realistic military shooters that became popular in the 2000s. The new Doom game looks as if they really try to revive some of the design qualities of the 1990s era of FPS mixed with fresh ideas, so I' m really looking forward to it.

DooM_RO said:

Any thoughts on the art style? I remember you were worried the whole game was going to be brown and teal (Like Quake 2)

New Doom must be little bit gloomier, but almost design is OK. IMHO.

just found new image, don't know where to put this:

reminds me a bit Authority from Rage

DooM_RO said:

I, for one, welcome the change ID made to the art-style recently, looks so much more like Classic Doom but in a way that's still realistic.

Doomkid said:

It is, but you don't have to be an asshole to a new member because of it.
Posts like this got you that custom title.

I was correcting that for him, Also the custom titles bullshit doesn't bother me at all .

Deatheye said:

to add a little note to the oldschool doom lovers and doom 3 haters - the old doom games were not perfect too - what annoys me the most about the old doom games is the beloved level design - when your biggest problem is to find a way to the keys and not the demons because the levels feel like a huge labyrinth something went WRONG, don't you think? well yeah you guys NOW know how to get to the keys but when you're new to the game it's hilarious - I do understand that it was normal to this time to create levels like that - like it's normal nowadays to make shitty tube-levels ala cod

I understand where you're coming from, but referring to new-era game design as "shitty tubes" would imply you preferred the labyrinth-like map designs, right? I'm curious which one you prefer overall, taking the good and the bad that comes with each into account.

My personal account is, when I was a child I had problems finding keys in some of the later maps which lead me to cheat at times, but soon as I hit my teens, I really enjoyed the exploration factor. I think a lot of FPS games have too much "GO GO GO, don't bother exploring!" in them.

Actually, probably one of the biggest striking similarities between Doom3 and Old Doom is the "searching around aimlessly in a dark area for a key-like thing"! Surely no one would think of Doom3's design as remotely similar to other contemporaries like CoD - It's far more in line with the rest of the series, in that one regard at least.

Doomkid said:

I understand where you're coming from, but referring to new-era game design as "shitty tubes" would imply you preferred the labyrinth-like map designs, right? I'm curious which one you prefer overall, taking the good and the bad that comes with each into account.

My personal account is, when I was a child I had problems finding keys in some of the later maps which lead me to cheat at times, but soon as I hit my teens, I really enjoyed the exploration factor. I think a lot of FPS games have too much "GO GO GO, don't bother exploring!" in them.

Actually, probably one of the biggest striking similarities between Doom3 and Old Doom is the "searching around aimlessly in a dark area for a key-like thing"! Surely no one would think of Doom3's design as remotely similar to other contemporaries like CoD - It's far more in line with the rest of the series, in that one regard at least.

I prefer the old leveldesign but I'd like to see a mix of both in the new doom - I like to run around and find secret areas but it shouldn't feel like a labyrinth

something like doom 3 would be cool - it was on the right way and felt/feels good, I'm currently re-playing it

I'm on the fence with MP but I have always been a SP guy. I loved DOOM, DOOM 2 and Ultimate. Play them very regularly, I also love Doom 3, sure it needed a few mods to get it just right (my opinion).

I just can't really tell how much I will love Doom (16) until release. I do have high hopes and from what I have seen it does look good.

My only concern is that for me Doom was very much about killing large amounts of enemies of various types with powerful weaponry and the gore....yes the gore needs to be plenty! From playing the beta the weapons feel weak and I didn't really notice much gore. Often I SSG some dude up close only to hear a gib, but not really see much....just something shoot off quickly and dissappear, I want to see the wall covered in blood with identifiable and some unidentifiable body bits laying on the floor with bloody skid marks and twitching limbs, I want to see the last spurts of blood pumping from a ligament while a thick oozing blood pool slowly thickens and begins to ooze away. I want to then notice my SSG covered in blood and my hands leaving sticky finger marks behind. Though to be fair I don't want blood stuck on the screen, that's really annoying and distracting from the pleasurable gibbing moment.

I want to then have that moment where after killing everything in a room in a violent fight for your life situation and you look around enemies dead, body parts everywhere gore just sloshing about, that satisfying feeling of bad ass accomplishment!! Then doing that again in the next room....and the next ....and the next etc etc

I just hope it's gory enough!

If not..,well....I hope we can mod the hell out of it.

Deatheye said:

I prefer the old leveldesign but I'd like to see a mix of both in the new doom - I like to run around and find secret areas but it shouldn't feel like a labyrinth

something like doom 3 would be cool - it was on the right way and felt/feels good, I'm currently re-playing it

While I agree that perhaps we shouldn't have labyrinths, I don't want tight corridors either and Doom 3 felt a little tight most of the time because ID put too much focus on graphics that they were restricted in level design in order to save on performance. I'd like the new Doom to have large and varied environments that have branching paths and secret areas. One thing I love about Classic levels is that, most of the time, there are entire sections of the map that are completely optional just for people who want to explore around. Labyrinth-like, no, but I'd like it to feel spacey.

MetroidJunkie said:

While I agree that perhaps we shouldn't have labyrinths, I don't want tight corridors either and Doom 3 felt a little tight most of the time because ID put too much focus on graphics that they were restricted in level design in order to save on performance. I'd like the new Doom to have large and varied environments that have branching paths and secret areas. One thing I love about Classic levels is that, most of the time, there are entire sections of the map that are completely optional just for people who want to explore around. Labyrinth-like, no, but I'd like it to feel spacey.

yes and the new doom will definitely have more big rooms - I wasn't talking about how the levels look by how big they are and stuff, I mean how they're arranged and put together :) like when you look on a map ingame and they did a good job there

bcwood16 said:

I'm on the fence with MP but I have always been a SP guy. I loved DOOM, DOOM 2 and Ultimate. Play them very regularly, I also love Doom 3, sure it needed a few mods to get it just right (my opinion).

I just can't really tell how much I will love Doom (16) until release. I do have high hopes and from what I have seen it does look good.

My only concern is that for me Doom was very much about killing large amounts of enemies of various types with powerful weaponry and the gore....yes the gore needs to be plenty! From playing the beta the weapons feel weak and I didn't really notice much gore. Often I SSG some dude up close only to hear a gib, but not really see much....just something shoot off quickly and dissappear, I want to see the wall covered in blood with identifiable and some unidentifiable body bits laying on the floor with bloody skid marks and twitching limbs, I want to see the last spurts of blood pumping from a ligament while a thick oozing blood pool slowly thickens and begins to ooze away. I want to then notice my SSG covered in blood and my hands leaving sticky finger marks behind. Though to be fair I don't want blood stuck on the screen, that's really annoying and distracting from the pleasurable gibbing moment.

I want to then have that moment where after killing everything in a room in a violent fight for your life situation and you look around enemies dead, body parts everywhere gore just sloshing about, that satisfying feeling of bad ass accomplishment!! Then doing that again in the next room....and the next ....and the next etc etc

I just hope it's gory enough!

If not..,well....I hope we can mod the hell out of it.

brutal doom is >>that way, fam

Where did he ever mention Brutal Doom? Gore has always been a part of Doom, and hoping that the new game has plenty of it is wish that I am sure is not even remotely restricted to the BD fans.

That said, the SP footage that we do have looks significantly gorier than MP, so if that's what he wants, I'm very sure he'll get it.