Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ATP2555

What do you think about Doom '16?

I would like to know what everyone thinks are about the new Doom. Since the game is coming out next month, what we know now is surely what will be featured.

These are my own likes and dislikes:

*Combat Shotgun design - cool looking gun.
*Graphics
*Customization in multiplayer.

Dislikes
*Multiplayer-only weapons - the Repeater, Vortex Rifle, and Static Cannon.
*Lack of reloading; they should have it where reloading is only in SP, like in Quake 4.
*Pick-ups coming to the player - this feels like hand holding.

I've already stated all of these in other threads.

First of all it's important to keep in mind that the goal of ID has been to capture the feeling of the original games, and this not only includes gameplay mechanics but also art style, level design, weapon design and character design, so what I'm saying here is coming from there.

I approve:
- Doomguy's armor and all the little details it has, you can tell they have been inspired by the original designs like for example: the ammo pouches around his waist, the shape and proportions of the armor and the red circles which I think have been inspired by the Doom 2 cover, the armor proportions and shapes also seem to be inspired by the Doomguy design from Quake 3, specially the boots and the shoulders.
- Most of the weapons for the SP campaign; if you pay attention to the details you'll notice they've been inspired not only by the original games but also by Doom 64, the plasma rifle has been clearly inspired by Doom 3.
- Most of the demons (not of all of them) I've seen are very close to be an accurate representation of the personality of the original demons.
- Level design looks promising and most of the art style feels like Doom.
- I like the idea of upgrading and modding your character and the weapons.

I disapprove:
- The cyberdemon, bad design not because it's ugly, it's because in my opinion it fails to capture the feeling you get from the original, I mean it doesn't represent his personality.
- The Mancubus, I don't completely disapprove, it's not that far away from being an accurate representation, but there are things about the new design that fail, he should look angrier.
- The Rocket Launcher looks and feels too weak compared to the original, it could be fixed with a more metallic look which would make it look and feel stronger.
- The health and armor pickups don't blend in properly, I've noticed that in the Alpha health and armor pickups aren't so bright, I hope there's a way to change or adjust these in the final version.
- The loadouts, the weapon limit in MP and the hack modules, I really don't care about being limited and having advantages, I wish they just added a classic free for all mode.

That's all I can think of for now, I'm still skeptical about the gameplay, the soundtrack, the glory kills and about the enemies dropping items everytime you perform one, so I'll probably come back here when I play the game.

Xerge said:

- The health and armor pickups don't blend in properly, I've noticed that in the Alpha health and armor pickups aren't so bright, I hope there's a way to change or adjust these in the final version.

But that's the point. This is a fast-paced game where managing the map for items is essential, yet you're constantly moving and fighting. So those items need to pop out.

And it's not like the visual result is inconsistent with the overall art style. This game provides a lot of juxtaposition between dark areas and colorful, neon lights. You have items, projectiles, enemies, colored doors, and other certain areas within the environments that have bright, colorful, neon colors.

ChickenOrBeef said:

But that's the point. This is a fast-paced game where managing the map for items is essential, yet you're constantly moving and fighting. So those items need to pop out.

I honestly think they already did the way they looked before, they were bright enough, not as bright as they are now, but they certainly were bright items.

ChickenOrBeef said:

And it's not like the visual result is inconsistent with the overall art style. This game provides a lot of juxtaposition between dark areas and colorful, neon lights. You have items, projectiles, enemies, colored doors, and other certain areas within the environments that have bright, colorful, neon colors.

Are you sure about the neon colors? I haven't really noticed that many, but assuming you are right I'd say that if there are neon colors I think we don't need too many, I personally find that visually annoying because there would be too many things trying to catch your attention making a visual mess, so the more some of them can be avoided or have their intensity decreased the better. Anyway, I really think that the way they looked before is a better representation of the game's concept and the classic pickups, because the health and armor pickups were not as bright as they are now and I really think that they were bright enough in the alpha.

Although keycards and even an automap have been 100% confirmed, I'm still most skeptical about the level design. I'm hoping for some classic DOOM-style levels that you can actually get lost in if you don't make use of the automap.

Pros: I'm really digging the overall aesthetic, even if some things look odd or overly cartoony. The combat seems like a solid mixture of classic in-your-face bum rushing as well as on-the-fly weapon management. There's clearly an exploratory element to the maps which are diverse and colorful. It's not taking itself unnecessarily seriously and so there's lots of "gamey" stuff that's a nice change of pace from ultra modern "everything must have a reasonable explanation" design.

Cons: There's been complaints about multiplayer being a bit unbalanced or awkward. SnapMap may end up being architecturally restrictive. Marty Stratton has dodged questions about level design, so how in-deity it will be is worrysome. Soundtrack could be a bit stronger. There might not be very many Doom 64-esque horror moments.

My opinion is shifting more towards the positive as it goes. I didn't like the original muted aesthetic but then later shots revealed more colorful demons. I was worried there wouldn't be secret hunting like the Classic Doom but ID insisted otherwise and maps actually do appear to be pretty spacious and open ended for exploring. I guess my only problem with it now is I've got a very dated computer but that's my problem, not the game's.

I wish they added pain and death sounds on MP, those are satisfying.

chubz said:

Although keycards and even an automap have been 100% confirmed, I'm still most skeptical about the level design. I'm hoping for some classic DOOM-style levels that you can actually get lost in if you don't make use of the automap.

This has been one of my only worries about the single player to be honest. But it is a serious concern I have because that was always half of what Doom is to me. Plus, what fun are keycards if you don't have to search for them? I always enjoyed the satisfaction of finally finding the keycards OR the occasional hidden doors they open :D

But I love just about everything else I've seen so far beside a few cosmetic things that are purely out of me being a bit nostalgic, naturally, and the more I've seen them over the months the more I've come to get that they totally suit the art direction of the new game and I kinda like em. All in all it looks fresh and like it's going to be a whole lot of fun :)

What i think about a game that i started to play in the 90´s ? 8-]
Even bought it for the Sega Mega Drive and later Sega Saturn lol
Seems that Doom 4 now will end my long therm relation with id (and Quake)
cause it looks like (at least thats all i figured out till now) that
they will have a release for the pcConsole aka Steam. First it sounded
good that they concentrate on the old school fun part, but those
promises will turn into empty promises with Steam. Like the MOD part
or the LAN party ability, lets see and hope it dont turn out into
a DLC trap.

ATP2555 said:

*Lack of reloading; they should have it where reloading is only in SP, like in Quake 4.

Uh, there is no reloading in SP too, AFAIK.

ATP2555 said:

I would like to know what everyone thinks are about the new Doom. Since the game is coming out next month, what we know now is surely what will be featured.

These are my own likes and dislikes:

*Combat Shotgun design - cool looking gun.
*Graphics
*Customization in multiplayer.

Dislikes
*Multiplayer-only weapons - the Repeater, Vortex Rifle, and Static Cannon.
*Pick-ups coming to the player - this feels like hand holding.

There was no reloading in the other DOOM or Quake games (except for DOOM 3 and Quake 4) and DOOM doesn't need that because it will slow the combat.

Xerge said:

- The cyberdemon, bad design not because it's ugly, it's because in my opinion it fails to capture the feeling you get from the original, I mean it doesn't represent his personality.
- The Mancubus, I don't completely disapprove, it's not that far away from being an accurate representation, but there are things about the new design that fail, he should look angrier.

Did you see how big that Cyberdemon is? It will scare the shit out of me when i'm gonna encounter this guy, i like the new Cyberdemon.

They improved the Mancubus they gave him armor and hes fireballs are really fireballs now.

I'm worried about the level design and amount of levels, other than that I think it will be good

(to be honest my confidence in this game has fallen in the past week, they need to show more campaign stuff to help me become more confident in this game)

Krimson Madness said:

Did you see how big that Cyberdemon is?

Yes, judging from his original behaviour and original posture I saw him more like an angry and proud cold blooded killing machine that is more like the strong silent type kind of demon, I don't see any of that now, but they did manage to portray him close to this in the teaser and also in Doom 3.

And judging by his posture and body size he seems to be like a big slow moving montain who is having a hard time carrying his own weight, the original cyberdemon looked fit, he was standing up straight and he didn't have trouble carrying the weight of his own body which made him look more athletic and agile. I still have hopes that they will at least compensate his looks with his combat skills, we'll see.