Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChickenOrBeef

Post-Launch Content Strategy Revealed

iD just detailed their post-launch strategy for DOOM. To sum it up:

-Free updates to SnapMap (improved tools, new features, new modules, new props, improved AI, etc)
-Free updates to Multiplayer (new modes)
-Paid DLC for Multiplayer (Maps, Guns, Demons)

Personally, I like everything I hear except for paid maps. That segregates the community, unlike guns and demons.

Read below:

https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/doom-open-beta-and-post-launch-content/2016/04/06/101

If you were unable to join us for our recent DOOM closed multiplayer beta, you’re in luck! From April 15 through 17, you’ll be able to jump straight into the open beta – no code necessary. Simply download the beta and let the viscera fly. Like the closed beta, you’ll have access to Team Deathmatch and Warpath on the Heatwave and Infernal maps.

But this is just a fraction of what you’ll be diving into when we unleash Hell on May 13 on Xbox One, PS4 and PC. In a recent video series we explored the maps, modes and power-ups of DOOM’s multiplayer –all things you have to look forward to at launch. But support for DOOM doesn’t end when the game is out. For the rest of the year, we expect to provide certain free content updates across SnapMap and multiplayer.

We know the DOOM community has always been about great user-generated content, and that’s something we want to continue to encourage with SnapMap, an innovative new component of DOOM designed to make creating, sharing and playing new game experiences fast and easy. On top of being able to access and play new modes and maps created by your fellow gamers, id plans to offer content updates for SnapMap, including map modules; props and objects; additional features and functionality; AI enhancements; editing tool enhancements and more. Multiplayer will also receive content updates in the form of new game modes. Both of these SnapMap and multiplayer updates will be free to use and play.

In addition to the planned free support and content updates, we will also be releasing three premium multiplayer DLC packs after launch, which will get you a number of new maps, hack modules, playable demons, weapons and more. The first DLC will be available this summer and give you access to:

Three new maps
One new weapon
One new playable demon
One new armor set
One new piece of equipment
New hack modules and taunts
New customization colors and patterns

Each DLC pack will cost $14.99 (£11.99 [UK]), or you can get them all at a discount with the Season Pass for $39.99 (£29.99 [UK]). Check your preferred retailer to pre-order the DOOM Season Pass.

Paid Maps are an awful idea and they rarely go down well. Expect them to be a money sink with barely any people playing.

Goddammit, Bethesda.

Ah well, doesn't stop me from enjoying the game once it's out (and I actually have the ability to fucking play it).

It's also interesting to see no mention of Singleplayer DLC. Either they're keeping that under wraps, or they feel SnapMap will provide that same function (and more), so they're focusing on that instead.

I hope the Collector's Edition people get
the season pass. I paid $220 after tax for it; and I refuse to
spend anymore! Especially for weapons and to be a new demon. It's just ridiculous. Sigh...

The paid DLC doesn't bother me. After all, it's not essential to beat the game.

And besides, I think DLC worked well with Super Smash Bros. 4.

Champskiez103 said:

spend anymore! Especially for weapons and to be a new demon. It's just ridiculous. Sigh...

In the same boat.

Now, I'm not saying that additional maps costing additional money is a bad thing - this is with the following prerequisite:

1. None of it is developed before the game is launched.
2. The game feels complete without the DLC
3. The game doesn't boot you out of lobbies for not having the DLC
4. And most importantly, is of a very good quality.

The fact they're already trying to sell season passes for three planned DLC packs over a month before the game is out worries me.

Also. Deatheye, that image you posted represents the situation almost TOO accurately!

Champskiez103 said:

I dont think it will include the dlcs. Only the preorder bonuses. In the article above, they only mention the three dlcs as separate pieces of the core game. So yeah, first you have the collectors edition+season pass... i think i will stick with the standard edition and then wait to see what the three seasonpasses has 2 offer.

Reminds me how new maps were released for the CoDs. It sort of worked for consoles because of the matchmaking, but since their PC releases had servers run by whomever, DLC maps hardly, if ever, appeared in rotations since doing so would potentially turn players without the DLC away. I don't know if Doom PC will have a normal Server Browser at some point, though. It might not matter. But the overall amount of people playing could kill the maps.

No singleplayer content for DLC? Why the fuck would I pay for MP DLC? So much for that one idiot on youtube who claimed to have an insider source...

Zemini said:

No singleplayer content for DLC? Why the fuck would I pay for MP DLC? So much for that one idiot on youtube who claimed to have an insider source...

I was also a little bit surprised. Currently, they seem to market mainly the Multiplayer part. Looks like that's what the market wants....

Zemini said:

They haven't announced all the DLC content, just the first pack. And this makes no mention of potential expansions to the game outside of "DLC".

Zemini said:

i think snapmap is an extension of sp-esque content. they have pitched it that way since the start (or at least e3 where snapmap was revealed) that its a way to extend the games content beyond the single player campaign for people who want to shoot demons solo still.

still hoping for a knee deep remake to come out at some point though.

Linguica said:

They haven't announced all the DLC content, just the first pack. And this makes no mention of potential expansions to the game outside of "DLC".

Yes but the three packs are called "Premium MP Packs" so that would imply they are MP only.

I guess that doesn't completely eliminate the possibility of SP DLC but it still sounds like MP will be their focus for the life of the game and it worries me that we will see very little official SP content.

Doom for me was a Singlplayer game first, followed by Map making/Coop with deathmatch last.

Considering the multiplayer is outsourced and honestly just doesn't really stand out enough to make it marketable to the modern gamer in any way besides demons and gore, the idea that Bethesda and Id want to make oodles of DLC money off of multiplayer content, including with weapons behind a paywall in a game that has each individual weapon fulfilling major roles compared to the dozens of assault rifles of something like CoD, is fucking ridiculous.

Alright, more colors? That's pretty cute, I'm down with that.
Okay yeah, taunts, that's fine, it's pretty neat.
Yes yes, armor cosmetics. That's good.
Wait... equipment? You mean like the personal teleporters and grenades?

Three new maps
One new weapon
One new playable demon

Oh.

This is not anti-bad at all, this is a mistake. Especially the maps... at least Smash let you still play online with people that had the DLC when you didn't, but this? Don't know for sure. I'm thrilled for the open beta and all that but damn, this is a real kick in the head.

I'm actually more annoyed by the fact that OPEN BETA starts 2 WEEKS after the CLOSED, WOLF TNO PRE-ORDER ONLY BETA.

I don't mind the DLC.

The lesson here is to not pre-order. It is pretty much throwing your money away anyways. I myself bought Wolf regardless so it was just a nice bonus. Besides, their was also an alpha test last year too.

I was going to get Wolfenstein anyway. I had a good feeling about the game that was justified. Before it came out I was almost as obsessed with it as I am with Doom right now.

Still...that Season Pass?

Will still get it if only because it's Doom. Had this been any other game...

My reaction.

AnonimVio said:

I'm actually more annoyed by the fact that OPEN BETA starts 2 WEEKS after the CLOSED, WOLF TNO PRE-ORDER ONLY BETA.

I don't mind the DLC.

Why? You were given the opportunity to voice your opinion on the game before the mass of retarded ones to come in the open beta.

I thought we were past premium maps.
Charge for game modes that are universal across all levels, don't charge to levels not everyone will have.

TheWizard said:

Why? You were given the opportunity to voice your opinion on the game before the mass of retarded ones to come in the open beta.

WHOLE 2 WEEKS EARLIER WOO
That beta key was basically useless.